Book with an asexual main character

Madelyn Faith

Madelyn Faith

Hey guys! I know that there is a serious lack of YA literature (and just literature in general) that has asexual main characters or even just asexual characters. So I thought I'd take a minute and let you know about this book I just found. The main character of the book is a biromantic asexual black woman in college (!!!!). It was just recently released last month so here's hoping that the author handles the topics well.

Here it is: Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann.

UPDATE: I have now finished the book and I am pleasantly surprised. It was very well written and I really enjoyed the depth of the characters. Being relatively new to the discovery of my sexuality, I'm not sure if this book is an completely accurate representation of asexuality but definitely sounded right to me.

There is a writer here on AVEN who wrote 'more than enough' which you can buy on Amazon as an ebook.  Beautifully written.

I personally have my own fictional ace characters, but I'm an artist not a writer, and they are a bit other worldly! I really enjoy stories featuring ace characters as I'm all for more representation in the media. Thanks so much for sharing. 

Music & Lyrics

Ooh that book sounds awesome!  Did you read John Green's latest Turtles All the Way Down?  The main character is very asexual to me although it isn't stated...but the way she sees sex is clearly very different from her peers...

probably not a confirmed Asexual character but anyway:

"The Adventures of Tintin" By Hergé 

I just read this and as a biromantic person (probably ace or demisexual) I loved it. I felt a lot of what Alice was going through and romantic scenes are always fun for me to read.

Lucas Monteiro
On 05/02/2018 at 11:04 PM, Zatarra said:

I like to imagine that he can be asexual, he doesn't seem to want any sexual relationship. He has Milou who he is always taking care of and for him it seems to be already enough while going in his adventures. 

Actually, if you want YA with Asexual characters, there are quite a few of them to be found here:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/44480.Asexuality_in_YA_Fiction

Also here:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/116320.Books_With_Asexual_Main_Characters

And if you do a search in Listopia, there are other books available also.

If you are on Goodreads, and want somewhere central to talk about these and other books, feel free to start a discussion here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/352253

Any suggestions for a more dynamic name appreciated. :)

TravelingBookNerd

Have you read the YA book "Tash Hearts Tolstoy"?  It has an ace main character, and has gotten good reviews :) 

Thanks for the Goodreads lists! I'll have to check those out, as I'd love to read more books with ace characters (I'd also love to see more books - esp. YA books - with well-written ace main characters).

• 3 weeks later...
Madelyn Faith

@TravelingBookNerd I just read "Tash Hearts Tolstoy"! I really liked it. It covered a lot of the things about asexual/sexual relationships that I have been wondering about. Although I know that the book in itself is fiction I feel like, at least to my knowledge, it talked about the topic of asexuality very well!

On February 5, 2018 at 5:31 PM, Madelyn Faith said:

Hey guys! I know that there is a serious lack of YA literature (and just literature in general) that has asexual main characters or even just asexual characters. So I thought I'd take a minute and let you know about this book I just found. The main character of the book is a biromantic asexual black woman in college (!!!!). It was just recently released last month so here's hoping that the author handles the topics well.

Here it is: Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann.

UPDATE: I have now finished the book and I am pleasantly surprised. It was very well written and I really enjoyed the depth of the characters. Being relatively new to the discovery of my sexuality, I'm not sure if this book is an completely accurate representation of asexuality but definitely sounded right to me.

I just ordered that book! Now I really can't wait to read it!

• 3 weeks later...
TravelingBookNerd

Ooo, I also want to read 'Let's Talk about Love!' Thanks for the recommendation!

On 12-2-2018 at 4:39 PM, Lucas Monteiro said:
On 6-2-2018 at 2:04 AM, Zatarra said:

I like to imagine that he can be asexual, he doesn't seem to want any sexual relationship. He has Milou who he is always taking care of and for him it seems to be already enough while going in his adventures. 

Oh childhood, I've read and watched Tintin a lot when I was younger :o

Now that you mention that, he mind be asexual.

As much I can remember, he didn't take advances from women (I could be wrong). There aren't many women in the series to begin with, I think and he's always on an adventure so it's hard to imagine Tintin to be in a relationship.

Archived