hullo...

Entmoot

After a bit of lurking, I'm finally forcing myself to introduce...myself. So, hello. Like many here, I've been confused about (and mostly repulsed by) sex for as long as I can remember, but with the help of sites like this I'm slowly, possibly, becoming less confused. And I'm nearing an age at which I'd really like to have this figured out. I'm a graduate student in psychology/neuroscience, so I tend to approach my own issues from an academic slant. I'm finding it helpful to read the sparse yet seemingly growing literature on this topic, but I think a community like this will be equally if not more valuable. I look forward to reading about people's personal experiences and (easing into) sharing my own.

On that note, I know people from AVEN have been actively involved in research and recruited by researchers of asexuality, but is there a thread on here that's devoted to discussion of journal articles on the topic? I did a little searching and couldn't find one, but let me know if I'm missing something obvious.

I should also note that it's been a long time since I've participated in any online community, so please forgive me if I'm a little rusty on etiquette...

Hey @Entmoot, welcome to AVEN! :cake:

@Pramana would be a good one to ask about journal articles and the like; he'll probably be able to direct you to a topic thread as well, if we have one going somewhere (I'm sure we do).

What year are you in your program? =)

Welcome to the website!

I have an amateur interest in asexuality research, and I've read most of the books and articles published to date. Discussions on AVEN shade more towards 101 intro and general socializing, so my experience has been that usually there isn't sufficient interest to sustain discussions of academic articles.

@Pramana Thanks for the welcome! As it happens, I just discovered your thread from September summarizing multifaceted views of asexuality, which seems like a good jumping off point for me. I think I need to do some more reading on my own, but I'll get back to you once I've had time to formulate my reactions and remaining questions.

2 minutes ago, Pramana said:

usually there isn't sufficient interest to sustain discussions of academic articles

So it's like most of the world then ;)

(A)Sexualities research is highly politicized, and provides a microcosm of wider social debates that are playing out today (as do discussions on AVEN).

Welcome! What's it like to study psychology/neuroscience? It sounds like something very interesting to study.

csc_8469.jpg

@Lichley Thanks! Psychology and neuroscience are very interesting to study and have enhanced the way I think about myself and other people, what leads to differences between people, etc. The field definitely falls short when it comes to asexuality though; it's still catching up on being inclusive of other (much more visible) minorities.

P.S. I don't get excited about all cake, but that one you posted....I might just stare at this every morning.

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

9 hours ago, Entmoot said:

@Lichley Thanks! Psychology and neuroscience are very interesting to study and have enhanced the way I think about myself and other people, what leads to differences between people, etc. The field definitely falls short when it comes to asexuality though; it's still catching up on being inclusive of other (much more visible) minorities.

P.S. I don't get excited about all cake, but that one you posted....I might just stare at this every morning.

There's more where that came from!

chocolate-gran-marnier.jpg

Only the best for you ;):P 

• 1 year later...
Snow in the background
On 2/5/2018 at 2:51 AM, Entmoot said:

On that note, I know people from AVEN have been actively involved in research and recruited by researchers of asexuality, but is there a thread on here that's devoted to discussion of journal articles on the topic? I did a little searching and couldn't find one, but let me know if I'm missing something obvious.

Hello!

Welcome to the forum. 🥧🥧🥧🍰

I study psychology, as well. I am currently enrolled in a master's degree program in Health Psychology. 

I am confused about my sexuality, as well.

I would be highly interested in a thread dedicated to academic discussions about asexuality.

If you want, feel free to send me any articles or books discussing this topic.

A very belated welcome to AVEN!

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake,

ZWughhv.jpg

Archived