Do you change your clothes when you come home?

everywhere and nowhere

Do you change your clothes when returning home?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change your clothes when returning home?

• Yes, always
    • Sometimes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

everywhere and nowhere

I'm just playing the game "Broken Sword 1", enhanced version (very recommendable, by the way - a detectivistic adventure game with historical mysteries. The original version from 1996 may count as abandonware, and even if it doesn't, it's easy to get. ;) However, it requires an emulator, preferably Scumm VM) and only now have I noticed how one of the protagonists is wearing the same clothes at home and when away from home. Actually, games aren't completely realistic in the clothes department - some characters are immediately recognized by their clothes*, so even when the plot spans over several days, they tend to wear the same clothes every day.

Myself, I didn't change clothes when returning from school until I was around 15 and my mom told me I should. Now I strongly feel I have to - it's unhygienic to sit at home in the same clothes in which I was sitting on the bus and in all other places. And when someone visits me, I never let guests sit in "my" armchair - one armchair is informally reserved as "no outdoor clothes allowed". I, conversely, tend not to sit on armchair and sofa which my guests use. So I seem to have quite a strict division of "indoor" and "outdoor" clothes.

My outdoor clothes and indoor clothes differ much. When going out and being seen by others, I usually wear very multicolored, hippie/ethnic clothes, except when I'm going out to do some sport. At home I prefer my clothes to be even somewhat ugly, so that I don't have "remorse" that I "waste" nice clothes for wearing at home. At home I wear some ordinary pants and a plain T-shirt in the summer and a men's shirt at other seasons.

* Funny example: King Graham of Daventry, protagonist of the classic series "King's Quest", was formerly the bravest knight in his kingdom and became king because his predecessor left no heir. So his trademark outfit are blue pants, red tunic, high boots and an adventurer's cap with a feather. It's trademark to the point that he didn't even wear something more regal for his son's wedding in the sixth part of the series... ;)

I do. Not because of hygenic reasons, that thought never even occured to me, but simply because I like to be comfortable at home. So first thing I do when I get home is to swap my jeans for pj bottoms (not the ones I sleep in), get rid of that stupid bra and maybe wear a more comfortable hoodie, too.

From a young age mom instilled in me the idea of indoor and outdoor clothes. Maybe her germaphobia rubbed off on me because I still do it. I don't have my own place but I do have my own bed that I don't like people to sit on with their outdoor clothes. I've gotten better and will let people sit on the comforter but that's as much as I can take. I also don't like people who are wearing outdoor clothes to touch or hug me when I'm in my indoor clothes. As soon as I get home I change into comfy pants and if I want to get in bed then I might change my shirt or put on an indoor sweatshirt that covers it. But this is also for comfort reasons since most of my outdoor clothes are uncomfortable to wear or at least not as comfortable as sweatpants. 

everywhere and nowhere
2 minutes ago, skyedive said:

I do. Not because of hygenic reasons, that thought never even occured to me, but simply because I like to be comfortable at home. So first thing I do when I get home is to swap my jeans for pj bottoms (not the ones I sleep in), get rid of that stupid bra and maybe wear a more comfortable hoodie, too.

Ouch. I envy people who can feel comfortable without a bra... I, unfortunately, can't - my boobs are medium-large and very sagging, actually they were like this already when I was 20 years old. So without a bra I'd get chafes under my boobs. But I prefer sport bras and don't care anymore than they may exacerbate the problem by not holding adequately - anyway, I'm not showing my boobs to anyone.

1 minute ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Ouch. I envy people who can feel comfortable without a bra... I, unfortunately, can't - my boobs are medium-large and very sagging, actually they were like this already when I was 20 years old. So without a bra I'd get chafes under my boobs. But I prefer sport bras and don't care anymore than they may exacerbate the problem by not holding adequately - anyway, I'm not showing my boobs to anyone.

Bras itch for me. Some even hurt. I can't adjust the size to fix that, and it doesn't really matter, they all get uncomfortable eventually. The only difference between them is how long it takes. I don't feel comfortable leaving the house without one, but I'm not going to wear them a second longer than I have to ;)

It depends? Coming home from work, 98% of the time I change immediately due to being sweaty and my scrubs being covered in germs, sometimes bodily fluids. The only time I don’t is if I didn’t actually see patients that day and I need a nap. (Scrubs are very comfy.) 

When I was in high school, yes because I went to a private school so I had to wear a uniform.

When living with my mom and returning from errands... depends on what I’m wearing. I might change into leggings or sweatpants and I’ll take my bra off.

When living with my partner, not really. We have a housemate and while yeah I still walk around in pajamas sometimes, it’s a bit weirder to do that all the time? Especially since my partner always wears jeans in the house. Also, I have to answer the door most days or run unexpected errands or end up going out at some point. It’s just a lot busier here and easier to be ready to go most waking hours.

Always when coming home from work, I change into my "stage 1" relaxing clothes, which are the ones I have on if there's still a chance I'll want to leave the house to run errands. Later in the evening I change into my "stage 2" relaxing clothes, the House Clothes, which signifies I am locked down for the night :P 

Weirdly enough, I also have specific seats at home which I use depending on which clothes I'm wearing.

I change my clothes when I come home from school every day, and my parents (to stop me from wearing pjs) bought me "lounge wear" specifically for lounging around the house (because I do that a lot). It's really comfortable though. They're a long tunic-like top and pj bottoms, but made out of soft, highly insulating material so that you're kept warm. They're not good for in bed though, because you overheat.

In my line of work you pretty much HAVE to change after work. I work in the Acute Care unit at the hospital and I spend 10 hours a day around VERY ill people. I have been coughed on, spat on, thrown up on, peed on, have had to change diapers and covers that have had vomit and other bodily fluids on. I see about 15 patients and on any given day in the ICU you can be sure 3-5 of them are in "isolation" or "droplet precaution" meaning they have some REALLY nasty and contagious germs and we have to put on this yellow outfit and a N95 respirator with a face shield. There are times where I am trying to help the RN and CNA with a patient transfer and the patient will urinate on the floor and I am standing or kneeling over the puddle. Oh and MRSA...enough said

Our hospital is very particular about sanitation and 'foam in/foam out' of EVERY room we see. However at the end of the day I leave my shoes out in the hallway and immediately remove my scrubs and spray Lysol on them - put them in a sealed container and wash ever 3 days - since I have 4 scrub sets.

Yeah, but like other's posted here, not for hygienic reasons. I just take off my button-up shirt I wear when going anywhere and put on a hoodie because it's more comfy! :D

Salted Karamel

I usually change into sweats when I'm home, mostly for comfort. Though I never sit on my bed in my "outside" clothes for hygienic reasons.

I tend to change clothes when I get home, I wear a shirt and did to work but don't feel comfortable in these.

I much prefer T-shirt and tracksuits, I like loose fitting clothes.

It is the same if I return from Dublin, first thing I do is change out of my clothes. And that is how I put my wallet through the wash.

I shrug 'em off and leave 'em off - home time is naked time. 8)

(It's gonna suck when I get a roommate. :lol:)

Lord Jade Cross
59 minutes ago, Zatarra said:

In my line of work you pretty much HAVE to change after work. I work in the Acute Care unit at the hospital and I spend 10 hours a day around VERY ill people. I have been coughed on, spat on, thrown up on, peed on, have had to change diapers and covers that have had vomit and other bodily fluids on. I see about 15 patients and on any given day in the ICU you can be sure 3-5 of them are in "isolation" or "droplet precaution" meaning they have some REALLY nasty and contagious germs and we have to put on this yellow outfit and a N95 respirator with a face shield. There are times where I am trying to help the RN and CNA with a patient transfer and the patient will urinate on the floor and I am standing or kneeling over the puddle. Oh and MRSA...enough said

Our hospital is very particular about sanitation and 'foam in/foam out' of EVERY room we see. However at the end of the day I leave my shoes out in the hallway and immediately remove my scrubs and spray Lysol on them - put them in a sealed container and wash ever 3 days - since I have 4 scrub sets.

Ugh, this. Its bad enough being around too many people but goddamn it do people not know hot to be considerate in these scenarios.

I know not all do it on purpose but Ive been there, where people cough with their mouths wide open (as if anyone needd their germs), not to mention the remarks they make afterwards.

No, not on a regular basis, and it never occurred to me to do so. If I have some reason to change clothes (slipped and fell in the mud, got paint all over them, was in an area with a lot of pollen, that kind of thing) I will, but not otherwise.

That unless I was somewhere where I actually had to wear what I consider moderately dressy or formal attire. Then I will change the moment I get home, back into my usual more comfortable clothes.

When I used to come home from school I dressed in girl's/women's clothes. Hardly surprising given how I am. :lol:

Yeah, these days I change into something comfortable/casual once home.

Rarely, if ever. (The only time is after Tae Kwon Do, and that's to get out of my gi).

Fantastic Name

I just throw on a pair of sweatpants. Nothing much.

I almost always remove them; does that count?

Too hot around the house to be fully clothed.

Yep, for comfort rather than hygiene for the most part - although if I have gotten sweaty or dirty or wet I will also change clothes when I get home.

FinneganCatch

Pretty much always do since I wear a uniform for work, after spending all day in it I just want to get out of into comfier clothing. Sometimes that's jeans and a hoodie if I have to run errands or my really colorful yoga pants or tights if I'm planning on bumming around home (or if I'm going out with my pooches in snow pants). Never really thought of them as indoor and outdoor clothes or it being a hygenic thing except for when I work dirty jobs (wastewater and fuel) in which case depending on the level of grime my clothes might be changed out at work to avoid even getting in my truck dirty.

RoseGoesToYale

I live in Florida, land of having to change underwear three times a day (no exaggeration, especially when it gets above 95F at 85% humidity). Number one reason to change as soon as you get home here is if you've been outside for more than three minutes, the sweat is ridiculous.

I work in a corporate environment, so on days when I'm at work I can't wait to take off the blazer and collared button-down and heels and put on a tank top (no bra) and some sweatpants. Ahhhh... In summer I usually don't wear a shirt when I'm at home lol. Sometimes I even go around my apartment in nothing but my boyshort underwear. I even cook breakfast sometimes mostly naked. Idgaf.

If it's a day off, or if I only have to work at my second job which is very casual, and I go out in the morning, I usually just wear the same clothes all day even if I'm at home. I usually don't change clothes unless I've come home for the day for good. Then it's time for a nice long shower, sweatpants, make a cup of tea, light some candles and read/watch a movie/play video games/dick around on my computer until sleep time. It's become a sort of ritual, actually.  

I always change after work. Just because having been chained to a steering wheel for ten hours, I want a shower and clean clothes 

Often times I change into a tank top and comfortable pants or shorts. The dress code at my job is basically just no flip flops and no ripped up or revealing clothes, so I'm usually already in casual clothes when I get home, but I find tank tops the absolute most comfortable when I'm at home. I also often wear skinny jeans to work, which I've found to not be as comfortable while I'm lounging on my bed or my couch.

Archived