iff

Have you been confused for a different nationality?

Are you mistaken for someone from another country?ie  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been mistaken for someone from another country

• Yes, regularly
    • Occassionally
    • Never

Laplace

If being mistaken for various different Asian nationalities counts then yeah a fair amount back in the day (TBF which East Asian nationalities aren’t mixed up on occasion 😛). Nowadays, most people can guess one of my two major nationalities cause my features are a little more distinct and some people recognize my last name as being Japanese (I’m basically half Chinese and half Japanese).

th-emptyhearse

Someone thought I was Norwegian once when I said I was going on an exchange there, they thought I had an accent- but really I'm a New Zealander through and through with the usual NZ accent, so that was weird.

• Like 1

Grimalkin

I could easily get away with wearing a "Kiss Me I'm Irish" shirt, but it would be a lieeee. Red hair exists in other places, man.

• Like 3

EmotionalAndroid

It only happened once, and it was rather amusing. Someone thought I was Russian because I "dressed too nice to be an American". Ok then? Granted, the person who said this to me was a foreign exchange student, so they haven't been as immersed in American culture. It did give me a good chuckle, though.

• Like 1

Aroace_bookworm

I'm Canadian, but whenever I travel, people ask if I'm american.............

There's a huge difference.

[noize:injekktion]

recently one lady thought I was French, and I was like "do I even look French at all?".

Homer
23 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

recently one lady thought I was French, and I was like "do I even look French at all?".

*pictures a cybergoth with a baguette and a Le Monde in their hands*

• Like 3

Blissful_Sins

Sometimes people think Im Khaliji, its like... A term for people from UAE or SA or the sorts

Falcon7

Quite often happens, mostly mistaken as a Southern Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese and occasionaly Taiwanese. Unusual ones are Vietnamese, Hazara and Altai. It's really interesting.

fiѕh

people keep thinking I'm dutch for some reason. I think I just have a weird ass accent that doesn't sound like proper English but not like I'm German either. (my mom was Spanish and I look nothing like either from the Netherlands OR Germany.)

starweb

Constantly. My paternal grandparents were Cherokee. I'm often mistaken for Latinix.  From time to time I catch people staring at me and it's not because I'm excessively beautiful or ugly, they're trying to figure out what I am.  Often I have people coming up to me speaking Spanish but I'm unable to reply. 

• Like 1

andreas1033

I am english(london) born of irish parents.

The biggest reason, there is a minority of dark skinned people in western ireland before modern immigration, was highly probably because of the spanish armada would of ended up there.

I have always had dark skin, even though both my parents are irish, and i could easily look like someone from spain, or such countries. One thing is for sure, brown eyes, and dark skin, is not a normal trait in ireland.

But like i said, one of the biggest reasons, why some dark skinned people existed in ireland, before modern immigration, was the spanish armada landed in ireland, after that event happened.

Homer

I got mistaken for someone from Iceland a handful of times when I was at the World Cup. How horrible :D

To Each Their Own

I’ve gotten lots of guesses during my travels around the world, none of those guesses were “American,” which is actually where I was born. (But what does an American look like, lol?)

People mostly ask me if I am Egyptian, which I find to be flattering, because I think it might have to do with my prominent cheekbones and nose. Other guesses have included things like Spanish or Mexican. Someone was even surprised to find out I wasn’t Colombian. 

Truth is, I don’t know WHAT I am. So, just for fun sometimes I say, “Maybe I’m Egyptian!”

daveb
47 minutes ago, To Each Their Own said:

So, just for fun sometimes I say, “Maybe I’m Egyptian!”

Do you walk like one?

To Each Their Own
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

Do you walk like one?

Do I walk like an Egyptian? 🤔

*thinking*

*thinking*

Yes! Yes, I do.

• Like 2