Have you been confused for a different nationality?

iff

Are you mistaken for someone from another country?ie  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been mistaken for someone from another country

• Yes, regularly
    • Occassionally
    • Never

This poll is closed to new votes

EmotionalAndroid

It only happened once, and it was rather amusing. Someone thought I was Russian because I "dressed too nice to be an American". Ok then? Granted, the person who said this to me was a foreign exchange student, so they haven't been as immersed in American culture. It did give me a good chuckle, though.

Aroace_bookworm

I'm Canadian, but whenever I travel, people ask if I'm american.............

There's a huge difference.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

recently one lady thought I was French, and I was like "do I even look French at all?".

23 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

recently one lady thought I was French, and I was like "do I even look French at all?".

*pictures a cybergoth with a baguette and a Le Monde in their hands*

Blissful_Sins

Sometimes people think Im Khaliji, its like... A term for people from UAE or SA or the sorts

Quite often happens, mostly mistaken as a Southern Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese and occasionaly Taiwanese. Unusual ones are Vietnamese, Hazara and Altai. It's really interesting.

people keep thinking I'm dutch for some reason. I think I just have a weird ass accent that doesn't sound like proper English but not like I'm German either. (my mom was Spanish and I look nothing like either from the Netherlands OR Germany.)

Constantly. My paternal grandparents were Cherokee. I'm often mistaken for Latinix.  From time to time I catch people staring at me and it's not because I'm excessively beautiful or ugly, they're trying to figure out what I am.  Often I have people coming up to me speaking Spanish but I'm unable to reply. 

andreas1033

I am english(london) born of irish parents.

The biggest reason, there is a minority of dark skinned people in western ireland before modern immigration, was highly probably because of the spanish armada would of ended up there.

I have always had dark skin, even though both my parents are irish, and i could easily look like someone from spain, or such countries. One thing is for sure, brown eyes, and dark skin, is not a normal trait in ireland.

But like i said, one of the biggest reasons, why some dark skinned people existed in ireland, before modern immigration, was the spanish armada landed in ireland, after that event happened.

I got mistaken for someone from Iceland a handful of times when I was at the World Cup. How horrible :D

To Each Their Own

I’ve gotten lots of guesses during my travels around the world, none of those guesses were “American,” which is actually where I was born. (But what does an American look like, lol?)

People mostly ask me if I am Egyptian, which I find to be flattering, because I think it might have to do with my prominent cheekbones and nose. Other guesses have included things like Spanish or Mexican. Someone was even surprised to find out I wasn’t Colombian. 

Truth is, I don’t know WHAT I am. So, just for fun sometimes I say, “Maybe I’m Egyptian!”

47 minutes ago, To Each Their Own said:

So, just for fun sometimes I say, “Maybe I’m Egyptian!”

Do you walk like one?

To Each Their Own
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

Do you walk like one?

Do I walk like an Egyptian? 🤔

*thinking*

*thinking*

Yes! Yes, I do.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been mistaken for, from south to north roughly, south african, swiss, german, french, dutch, belgian, danish, norwegian, swedish, and as a sidestep, cornish. It's a bit weird.

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

by now people mostly think I'm Belgian, until I explain that my Dutch is very poor 😂

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I have 😂 once, in elementary school. I'm an Orthodox and in my class there were two other Orthodox people and they both were Russian. So one guy in my class thought that I was Russian too. But this had nothing to do with the way I look, he just assumed that since the other two Orthodox people in our class were Russian that I would also be Russian. I don't even look Russian at all, and my last name is completely Finnish, it's actually two Finnish words put together. My first name is kinda Russian though, but actually it's originally Greek 😅 

after I accidentally said "dank je wel" in the store, i definitely have been. 😕😂

ArchangelAlbatross

Yes, anything from Lebanese (in Washington State, U.S...?)  ... to Estonian (when I lived in Finland)... Australian...

On 9/16/2018 at 9:33 PM, [noize:injekktion] said:

after I accidentally said "dank je wel" in the store, i definitely have been. 😕😂

For those of us who don't speak Flemish, can you tell us what that means, why it was wrong, and what you should have said? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hispanic, Brazilian and Russian lol idk how. Im mostly Native American ( Black Foot and Cherokee)

I'm Native American, and sometimes people will think I'm Hispanic.

cavalier080854

When I served with an Irish regiment, people thought I was Irish (I had picked up the accent) when I went home.

• 1 month later...

My ethnicity usually doesn't come up, but when it does, people usually assume I'm Mexican. I'm latinx, but not Mexican. 

• 3 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived