Job Hunting as a Grown Up

thylacine

At least they told you, which is not usual nowadays.   Are you in an area wherre there are temp agencies, or a university that has temp jobs?  If there are law offices, consider applying to be a legal secretary.  You need a job to support yourself (and maybe your mom).  

Glad they didn’t string you along, but sorry they didn’t offer you the position...

... to add insult to injury, my unemployment benefits have been put on hold due a mix up in their "system."  (Probably they have my part time weekend job mixed up with the full time job and I have to report whether I worked or not... ).  Oh what mess I am in.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:09 AM, Sally said:

At least they told you, which is not usual nowadays.   Are you in an area wherre there are temp agencies, or a university that has temp jobs?  If there are law offices, consider applying to be a legal secretary.  You need a job to support yourself (and maybe your mom).  

I might sign up with a temp agency if I have to, certainly.  And I'll work cleaning houses or waitressing if I have to.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Take whatever you are happy to do for the meantime. Temp agencies have a way of assigning work that becomes permanent. 

And...all the best with your jobsearches!🍰

Had another interview... some of the people in the office were older than I am... so... maybe there is a chance.

Yeah... like I need all the luck I can get right now.

Just got a job offer...  they want me to start Monday... not sure if I should take it though...  but then with all the bills on my desk... eek!

Yay!!  If you take it and down the road don’t enjoy it you can always keep looking (while you have a job and insurance and aren’t under such pressure)...

TAKE IT!!!!!!   You have no guarantee that you will be offered another one.  

Why would you not take it? I don't mean that in a snarky way, but more like, do you have good reasons for not taking it? You could always try it and see how it goes. Although that can be trickier if it involves relocating or other things that would make it inconvenient to quit soon.

5 hours ago, daveb said:

that can be trickier if it involves relocating

*nods*

I was assuming it was local when I recommended taking it and continuing to look if needed...

I have another interview today and an interview tomorrow...  I'm still not sure if I want to take the job that was offered... gotta think about this one (I'm sick of small offices, basically - and at my age, I want something that I like)...  gotta think this through.

I just got a kind of "bad vibe" about the job offer... like they will dump a lot of work on me and never give me a pay raise for the rest of my miserable existence, like that last personal injury firm I worked for... 

How long can you hold off on answering them?  If they can wait a few days (even though ideally they want you to start Monday) and you think it’s a poor fit then seeing how today and tomorrow’s interviews go could make a lot of sense.

39 minutes ago, thylacine said:

I just got a kind of "bad vibe" about the job offer... like they will dump a lot of work on me and never give me a pay raise for the rest of my miserable existence, like that last personal injury firm I worked for... 

Fair enough.

I hope the other interviews go well and and you get an offer you can accept. :) 

4 hours ago, thylacine said:

PI firms all do that.  But your existence will be a lot more miserable if you lose getting a job (and thus lose income) by waiting too long to take their offer.  They can find someone else.  

Thanks Dave...

Ryn...  I called and said, thanks, sorry, no thanks...

Sally... I get what you are saying, but I'm sick of working small law firms.  Small law firms have big egos.  I think in a bigger firm, or a bigger company, they will all keep each other's egos in check.  In a small firm, everything gets dumped on the paralegal...  It would just be way too much at low pay and no health insurance.  Forget it.

I hope one the more recent interviews nets you something more appealing!

4 hours ago, thylacine said:

I think in a bigger firm, or a bigger company, they will all keep each other's egos in check.  In a small firm, everything gets dumped on the paralegal...  It would just be way too much at low pay and no health insurance.  Forget it.

That is not true about bigger firms.  

18 hours ago, Sally said:

That is not true about bigger firms.  

Well, that has not been my experience.  Whenever I have worked at a big firm, people got along better (mostly!) and I was basically always happier working in bigger law firms.

Update:  Okay, so now I have a job interview at a correctional facility...

It seems interesting... I hope I get this one.

• 4 weeks later...

A person at the local "career center" looked at my resume, and finally said, "You can take these dates of college graduation off, you don't want to age yourself."  Oh, yeah, well...  good idea.

Archived