Job Hunting as a Grown Up

thylacine

1 hour ago, thylacine said:

FINALLY !!!  Sheesh, it took a year and a half, but I finally got a job offer.  OMG...  like a new start in life.  I gotta give my two weeks...

Congratulations!!!

Good things sometimes come to those who try and try and try again!

I just hope it turns out to be a good job rather than another crap job where I get my hopes up then realize I'm stuck doing mindless repetitive crap...  oh well, we'll see...  I'm going to take the job because I need to get the heck out of the dead end place where I am at right now.

• 2 months later...

I know just how you feel. I got lured away from a job I hated but it did have benefits, to work somewhere I thought I would get lots of training and get to grow in my profession. Instead it turned out they just hired me to help them through the busy season and then I get “we'll email you if we have any hours for you”, and never hear from them again. That was 9 months ago and even though I have 20+ years experience and a BA, I constantly get “you have too much experience for this job” or “we are really looking for someone younger who can grow with the company”. Then 3 months later I'll see the same place advertising for the same position again so the kid the ended up hiring probably quit on them. If employers want employees who know what they are doing and will stick around they should look to those of us over 40.

So it turned out that I'm too mentally and physically unstable to handle a full-time job. I'm trying to take better care of myself now, while looking for ways to establish myself as a freelancer - for real, this time. I should have done that in the first place!

Anyone else here a freelancer, or toying with the idea of starting their own business?

Honestly, I'm technically still a student, even though I've been off college for over a year now, but it's too expensive to pay out of pocket right now, and prices are only getting worse, I'm young but I don't want a job flipping burgers are something as demeaning as that, and all of the jobs I want are too social for my mental stability/capabilities and require more schooling than I have- older adults have it bad for people my age taking jobs from them, but millennials have to deal with bad housing markets, high student loans, and the dark looking future. Honestly, I'm thinking of quitting trying to go back to school and just start blogging/YouTube since that seems to be the only lucrative thing my generation can do. Stock trading seems to look promising as well, but you have to have initial monies for that- which I don't have.

49 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

Honestly, I'm thinking of quitting trying to go back to school and just start blogging/YouTube since that seems to be the only lucrative thing my generation can do. Stock trading seems to look promising as well, but you have to have initial monies for that- which I don't have.

Well, I think there are, or should be, more opportunities for our generation ... but I think I know what you mean. The dark looking future is waving at me, as well. I think that by the time I have fully paid back my student loan, I'll be well over forty 😕

I suppose that most of the time we can't be picky about the job we need to pay our rent. But having a job that literally makes us ill is not an option either, especially when one's heart isn't in it.

Kiaroskuro... you are right, the future does look dark.  A friend of mine was telling me the other day that most big companies want to just eliminate as many employees as possible and hire robots instead.  That surely sucks.  People need jobs.  The economy will puke if they replace people with robots.  What the f--- are they thinking?

On 9/15/2018 at 4:26 AM, kiaroskuro said:

Anyone else here a freelancer, or toying with the idea of starting their own business?

I do some freelance software development myself. What would you like to do?

14 hours ago, Marcin said:

I do some freelance software development myself. What would you like to do?

I've been a freelance critic/journalist for quite a while, but the money I earned with it so far was nothing more than pocket money. Being a full-time freelance journalist and author would be too precarious and stressful for me, but I at least want to try and expand my journalistic activities in order to have a decent additional income. Don't ask about my main income, I still don't know where that's supposed to come from and it's giving me a major headache.

Have you worked in a software development company before going freelance? And I hope you don't mind my asking, but do you feel financially secure?

@kiaroskuro

Since journalism is too stressful to do more of it, have you thought what else you could do that would be fun?

Yeah, I worked for a company some time ago. Much more financial security, but such huge waste of time that I happily got rid of it when I could. I live in New Zealand now so its not like I can go completely broke here, but I'm still trying to work on improving financial security. I'm actually not sure on what I should focus on right now, still trying to pick what would be the best for balancing income and enjoyment I get out of it. I'm quite frugal and minimalistic, so that at least helps me.

@Marcin I actually hope to have more writing jobs in the future - it's just that I can't do it 40 hours a week. That would be too stressful. And I need some variety, I hate routine. So yes, I can think of quite a few things I'd like to do in addition to writing. But I often feel as if I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. On the positive side, I'm pretty frugal too, no need for expensive furniture, clothes, dinners etc. That definitely helps when one is in a precarious job situation.

I see ... I've heard about quite a lot of people who felt relieved and content when they eventually freed themselves from the fetters of their employment contract. Where have you lived before, Europe? Poland?

1 hour ago, kiaroskuro said:

@Marcin I actually hope to have more writing jobs in the future - it's just that I can't do it 40 hours a week. That would be too stressful. And I need some variety, I hate routine. So yes, I can think of quite a few things I'd like to do in addition to writing. But I often feel as if I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. On the positive side, I'm pretty frugal too, no need for expensive furniture, clothes, dinners etc. That definitely helps when one is in a precarious job situation.

I see ... I've heard about quite a lot of people who felt relieved and content when they eventually freed themselves from the fetters of their employment contract. Where have you lived before, Europe? Poland?

Heh, same, I don't like routine at all. What are the other things you'd like to do? Maybe they could somehow, hmm, create synergy with writing?

Yes, I'm from Poland originally, as you probably noticed from my name :)Where are you from and where do you live right now?

Hmm, maybe we should switch to PMs to not hijack the thread?

• 5 months later...

OMG... I was happy at that job that I finally got... but today suddenly I got laid off...  I feel like throwing up right now.

1 minute ago, thylacine said:

OMG... I was happy at that job that I finally got... but today suddenly I got laid off...  I feel like throwing up right now.

Aw, that’s awful.  I’m so sorry!

Just now, ryn2 said:

Aw, that’s awful.  I’m so sorry!

This

Been there and it's no fun! :( 

Take care and I hope you find something else good soon!

13 hours ago, thylacine said:

That's terrible :( I hope you'll recover from the shock soon, and find another job that suits you as well as the previous one - or even better!

OMG... this is a freakin' nightmare... I wanted to stay there for like 20 years and I was only there 7 months... Oh Gawd help me I need a job right away, my health insurance is cancelled, too.

I'm so sorry, Thy -- to be so happy to find something you really wanted, and now this.   You're not alone, but that doesn't help, I know.  :(

On 2/21/2019 at 1:23 AM, Sally said:

I'm so sorry, Thy -- to be so happy to find something you really wanted, and now this.   You're not alone, but that doesn't help, I know.  :(

Yeah... (sigh) ... it really, really totally sucks.  It really does.  I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

Apathetic Echidna
On 2/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, thylacine said:

my health insurance is cancelled, too.

Making random assumption from your profile pic: If you are in Australia get yourself on centrelink and start the application for the low income health care card. That and bulk billing will be your best friends if anything medical happens before you find something. 

I have two degrees with honours yet it seems I'll probably always be eligible for that card for my entire life the way things are going. But I have always made choices based on my emotions rather than cold logic so I always blamed myself.....and one of the ex-prime ministers here who killed the entire department that I had wanted to work for.  

Apathetic:  I am in Massachusetts (I like thylacines because I like cryptozoology).

I signed up for MassHealth:  thank God for MassHealth!

Conservatives say awful things about government healthcare, but I'm so grateful right now that I'm in Massachusetts and I can sign up for MassHealth because suddenly I'm "low income." They were very nice and helpful at the MassHealth office.

-> Have a job interview tomorrow morning.

30 minutes ago, thylacine said:

Have a job interview tomorrow morning.

Thinking good thoughts for you!

30 minutes ago, ryn2 said:
1 hour ago, thylacine said:

Have a job interview tomorrow morning.

Thinking good thoughts for you!

Yes, good luck!

Thanks everybody... I hope the interview goes well.

OMG... the nuisance it is trying to apply for unemployment...  they want to know everything about me, every freakin penny for crisesakes!

Hoping to hear back something good about the job interview.

I was walking down the street & saw a big huge truck coming my way... almost felt like jumping in front of it, but then, who would take care of my mother...?

I mean, I'm not really going to "do anything like that," but I'm having a hard time with this.  I had a good job one day, and the next day I'm being thrown out with the trash.

Sorry, @thylacine.  :(  I hope whatever you do next is pleasing enough that you can put being tossed out behind you.  It does take a while to feel better, though.

Had an interview...  they emailed to say the picked someone else; maybe she was like 30 years younger.

Archived