Job Hunting as a Grown Up

thylacine

13 hours ago, thylacine said:

Had a "phone interview" with my cell phone on my lunch break today...  I hope they call back for a "real interview."

Good luck! :)

ratherhavecake

Re: Finding Work/Getting the Job!

I just went through a nightmare of a short stint at a well paying job that was soul crushing, working for religious fanatics (it might have been a Catholic School) Either way, I blocked it out! 

My point is that I found out that at in my early 40's the Associates degree is the new HS diploma, a Bachelor's may get you in the door WITH the right resume of experience, and if you want to just walk in and take the job you need a graduate degree.

I have since quit my job and after being on the job hunt for several months I have gone back to finish my graduate degree; having two bachelor's degrees behind me. 

Even late in life I now know I will be able to get the job. It's tough and I'm broke! But I received a GA full ride paid tuition and stipend. There are options!

Just remember guys/gals/other it is NEVER to late to work on your education. It's something that can never be taken away from you!!

2 hours ago, ratherhavecake said:

Re: Finding Work/Getting the Job!

I just went through a nightmare of a short stint at a well paying job that was soul crushing, working for religious fanatics (it might have been a Catholic School) Either way, I blocked it out! 

My point is that I found out that at in my early 40's the Associates degree is the new HS diploma, a Bachelor's may get you in the door WITH the right resume of experience, and if you want to just walk in and take the job you need a graduate degree.

I have since quit my job and after being on the job hunt for several months I have gone back to finish my graduate degree; having two bachelor's degrees behind me. 

Even late in life I now know I will be able to get the job. It's tough and I'm broke! But I received a GA full ride paid tuition and stipend. There are options!

Just remember guys/gals/other it is NEVER to late to work on your education. It's something that can never be taken away from you!!

True, but in the US (and possibly other Western countries), age discrimination is rampant, and more degrees does not prevent it.  

thylacine

Seriously, age discrimination is a real thing.  It seems like they want inexperienced kids who will just play with their phones all day rather than grown ups who will be responsible and have a work ethic.

Skycaptain

It's daft really. Someone who either rents, has a mortgage, or (a family) should, to an employer, instantly appear more reliable than a youngster who could well phone in sick the morning after every payday. 

The younger folks are lower-cost in the short term, and there’s the sense they are more flexible and bring fresh ideas rather than the same stale ones.

Which, of course, can be true or false depending on the person... :(

ratherhavecake

You are all SO correct! I remember that the "board" took an extra week to decide whether or not to hire me over a younger, less experienced kid for a difference of a dollar-fifty on the hour!

But, you will find that the graduate degree pulls us old people's chin closer to the bar. Then when looking at resumes, hiring managers care less, because these are no longer "use em' and lose em" kind of jobs. Your age will be an attribute! Keep going!

• 3 weeks later...

Had another phone interview last week...  hoping something good comes of that one.

8 hours ago, thylacine said:

Had another phone interview last week...  hoping something good comes of that one.

Good luck! :) 

Biblioromantic

I quit my last job in November. I was working at a religious institution and just couldn't stomach the religious overtones anymore. It wasn't enough to be a good person, be proficient at my tasks, and be everyone's girl Friday. I had to be a perfect example of the group's religious beliefs every day, even when I wasn't at work. And they checked every year, contacting my local religious leaders to be sure I was still being exemplary. It was okay while I was working in my chosen field as a librarian--just part of working for that religious institution, so I handled it with more or less grace, depending on the day. And I wasn't *actually* exemplary, but I can lie my ass off when faced with losing my job if I don't answer the annual interview questions correctly. So I lied a lot once a year and a little bit every day, and I kept my well-paid, highly satisfying job doing something I really enjoyed, that I felt made a difference, and that I was especially qualified to do well.

But then they transferred me to another location to do something completely different that I didn't even like. They told me they would recruit some untrained, part-time volunteers to take over my precious library and made me a school secretary instead. All of my hard-won, specialized training and 10+ years of specialized experience was suddenly worthless. All of my hard work and my personal investment was revealed to be unappreciated and, even worse, unwanted. It turned out that I liked my new coworkers alright, but everything that had given me satisfaction about my job and made the religious requirements worth it had been taken away. Suddenly I minded having to lie about who I really was because the job wasn't worth it anymore. To be fair, I also had some medical stuff going on at the time, but that didn't change how I felt about the job. I took my time about it, but eventually I quit. I will find a job where I don't have to lie about who I am and where my personal investment will be appreciated.

That sounds like a really difficult situation, @Biblioromantic... especially given how they clearly underestimated what being a librarian requires (not to mention provides).  I totally get why that completely upended what had been an acceptable balance.  I hope you find someplace more suitable, quickly.

It’s probably a little wrong of me to also hope they learn their library lesson the hard way, but there you have it...

I'm trying to do a big career change at almost 40. I'm taking classes with kids and it's...weird. Yup, I'm rocking the hair dye and beauty sleep of a single person as well. ha ha   It's tough out there. I wish you luck. And finding anything good can take sooooo looooong. Don't give up, keep an open mind, you know the drill. I got started on this path when I took an rando job and ended up loving it. 

:fingers crossed for real interview:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 3:08 AM, Biblioromantic said:

"All of my hard-won, specialized training and 10+ years of specialized experience was suddenly worthless. All of my hard work and my personal investment was revealed to be unappreciated and, even worse, unwanted."  Yeah...  I feel like that a lot these days too.

Sigh...  still looking... had a another "phone interview" last week.  I hope it turns into a "real interview."

Thanks... need all the luck I can get.

I went for the first job interview in an age last week - probably 4-5 years since my last one. 

I get there nice and early, sitting down outside the manager's office and trying not to sweat through the floor as I wait. I know I have the first interview of the day so I'm invited in before anyone else appears. 

The interview goes well. The manager is probably ten years my junior, but I don't think I came across as too much of an 'oldie'. 

I step out and I'm hit by a wall of deodorant, aftershave and hair-product. Kids (for want of a better word) sat outside ready for their own interviews. Well, Kids that are a few inches taller than me with tattoos, piercings and swagger. I give them a thin smile and make my escape before my head starts sprouting more grey as a defence. 

… 

Needless to say, I didn't get the job. It wasn't a particularly 'youthful centric' role, but when the manager called me back (a rare occurrence these days!) he explained that other candidates were more suitable on this occasion. I read that as "They're young so we don't have to pay them as much as older folks like you" and "We had to interview you so we could tick our 35-40 age-bracket box for equality". 

The hunt continues... 

Unfortunately some of this may also be the “people like me” issue that plagues women and minorities across the age spectrum:  the idea that hiring managers tend to feel most comfortable around people who remind them of themselves.  It’s easiest to find common ground with them, which makes it easier to see them fitting easily into a particular role or organization.

8 hours ago, Raire said:

I step out and I'm hit by a wall of deodorant, aftershave and hair-product. Kids (for want of a better word) sat outside ready for their own interviews. Well, Kids that are a few inches taller than me with tattoos, piercings and swagger. I give them a thin smile and make my escape before my head starts sprouting more grey as a defence. 

Oh man, don't yah just hate that?

...  maybe I'll just sign up to join Space Force!

Had an interview today...  I hope they call me back for a 2nd interview.

11 hours ago, thylacine said:

Had an interview today...  I hope they call me back for a 2nd interview.

Thinking good thoughts for you!

OMG...  they are calling me back for a 2nd interview.

44 minutes ago, thylacine said:

OMG...  they are calling me back for a 2nd interview.

Eeeee!!

:)

And applied for another job today, too.

The emailed me today and said to come in for the 2nd interview after work today instead of next week...  I met with other staff at the company.  Hope I get this one.

That sounds optimistic.  Thinking good thoughts for you...

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY !!!  Sheesh, it took a year and a half, but I finally got a job offer.  OMG...  like a new start in life.  I gotta give my two weeks...

35 minutes ago, thylacine said:

FINALLY !!!  Sheesh, it took a year and a half, but I finally got a job offer.  OMG...  like a new start in life.  I gotta give my two weeks...

Yay! Congratulations! :cake: :D 

Archived