Job Hunting as a Grown Up

thylacine

... and now I'm temping... hopefully it will become a permanent job.

My two longest-standing jobs evolved out of temping assignments..,

Thank you Dave & Ryn...  it seems like a nice office, but the commute, oh my God...  I gotta freakin' get outta bed at freakin' 5:30 a. freakin' m.

Ugh!  I guess that’s better than sleeping in and going to a crappy workplace but not *much* better.

Ryn... well yeah, it's better than no job at all.

14 minutes ago, thylacine said:

Ryn... well yeah, it's better than no job at all.

That too.

23 hours ago, ryn2 said:

That too.

Yup...  My life has like done a 360.  I started out as an administrative assistant, and like 15 years ago got laid off, went to paralegal school because I thought it would make me lay off proof - yeah, right, and this is the 2nd time I've been laid off as a paralegal...  so I took this administrative assistant job that came up (a temp job, I hope it becomes permanent, though, for the benefits and stuff).  So I'm back doing the same stuff I started out with, but I needed the job.

I hope you like it and it works out.  In these layoff-prone times more and more people go up and down a rung over and over rather than just climbing the ladder.

7 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I hope you like it and it works out.  In these layoff-prone times more and more people go up and down a rung over and over rather than just climbing the ladder.

Unfortunately, you are right.

OMG... finally got a pay check... now I can afford to feed the cat.

• 1 month later...

Okay--update--still working a temporary secretarial job...  it's a nice company.  I hope they hire me permanently.  It's a big company, so they can actually pay decent, unlike some rat-shit lawyers out there.  (Yeah, I used to like being a paralegal, didn't I?)

I hope it works out... but the last job I had, I hoped that would work out too...  then the big layoff!

• 2 months later...

I worked for a major insurance company for 14 years never had an issue, I was terminated in November of 17 for missing to much time, most of the time was for medical reasons, the supervisor was incompetent marking me absent when I was clearly at work. I was in the hospital for 5 days I come back to work with a note, called I n every day I was out, I was written up for missing time, would not accept the dr note.
It’s going on 2 years I have been out of work I have applied at over 200 places I get interviews occasionally it nothing come out of them, I have applied at other insurance companies doing the same exact job Iam a licensed agent, and I literally get turned down the very next day, Iam 55 years old I lost everything I worked for, I can’t find a job to save my life, I have been contacted by temp agencies who saw my resume. My resume is on every job board. Everything leads nowhere, I don’t know where to go or what to do, I have always worked sometimes up to 3 jobs some really crappy places. I never dreamed I would be in this position Iam in right now. Like thylacine said in a previous post I want to jump in front of a truck.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:26 AM, pma01 said:

I worked for a major insurance company for 14 years never had an issue, I was terminated in November of 17 for missing to much time, most of the time was for medical reasons, the supervisor was incompetent marking me absent when I was clearly at work. I was in the hospital for 5 days I come back to work with a note, called I n every day I was out, I was written up for missing time, would not accept the dr note.
It’s going on 2 years I have been out of work I have applied at over 200 places I get interviews occasionally it nothing come out of them, I have applied at other insurance companies doing the same exact job Iam a licensed agent, and I literally get turned down the very next day, Iam 55 years old I lost everything I worked for, I can’t find a job to save my life, I have been contacted by temp agencies who saw my resume. My resume is on every job board. Everything leads nowhere, I don’t know where to go or what to do, I have always worked sometimes up to 3 jobs some really crappy places. I never dreamed I would be in this position Iam in right now. Like thylacine said in a previous post I want to jump in front of a truck.

Oh my God, I am so sorry to hear of your story.

Try working with temp agencies, sometimes temping leads to a job.

I am temping right now, and hoping to get the job permanently because they say they like me.

Keep trying, don't give up.  Just don't give up, okay?  It's tough, I know.

Have you thought of talking to a lawyer about the unfair termination?

I had to hire a lawyer just to get unemployment. We discussed unfair termination but she said that I would never stand a chance fighting the termination. I just got a pt job at Home Depot. It has been nothing but a nightmare since I got terminated, and I get so angry and want to just give up and end it all, but I still keep going, Iam not one to quit or give up, I hope they hire you on. I tried temp agencies and didn’t have any luck with them

Archived