non-binary transitioning

hopeisnotlost

To be honest, you need to start with the small things. Medically transitioning is a big step, and I am already considering every possible outcome even though that sort of intervention is a long way away for me. There have been some things, however, that I have done to reduce my dysphoria levels and make myself more confident:

• Change your hairstyle. You'd be surprised what a new haircut can do, it can boost confidence and change the way your face looks, too.
  • Change your clothing style. Try out different articles in the changing room and see how they affect your comfort levels and body shape.
  • If you have a very feminine face, but are still comfortable with wearing basic makeup, consider learning male-type contouring. It's really quick and easy once you get the hang of it, and even cheap makeup can be effective. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube that teach you how to contour, so look for ones by male makeup artists or geared towards FtM people looking to change their face shape.
  • If you don't have a nickname, or at least don't have one that makes you comfortable, create one you like and use it when you introduce yourself. All my friends and most of my family now call me by my self-given name almost to a fault, because I am clearly more comfortable using it than my full name.
  •  

There are plenty of small things you can do to make yourself more comfortable before even considering medical transition, but the most important thing is that you think about how you want to present yourself to the world, and what parts of your body/ingrained behaviours cause you the most discomfort. Write a list. Keep a journal of your thoughts. And make sure you have people you know you can trust and will support you around, it makes all the difference.

Janus the Fox

Most of my "transitioning" as a non-binary is largely from exploring lifestyle changes or changing the appearance somewhat to blend in more with the feminine side to balance out somewhat my male sex.  This is through clothing choices and growing that of the hair an nails.  This is to achieve some non-gender feelings or find a more feminine self, it is a very early psychological stage after realization of a gender difference.

Archived