Can I get some help reading social cues please?

Alarica

I was wondering if I could get some help understanding a social situation that happened to me. So if your best friend gets you a birthday present and says  “I hope it’s not too much” and when I asked if they spent too much they said “no, I just hope it’s not too much. Just take it however you want it” and it’s matching bracelets with a famous line from my fav ship/couple. What do they mean by saying “I hope it’s not too much” ? are they asking if it’s too cheesy? Sorry about the silly question but I’m horrible at social stuff and have no idea what was meant by it. 

fandomAlgamation

I am very socially awkward, so this may be incredibly incorrect.

I think they might be trying to hint that they have a crush on you. Maybe they just felt that was a great quote series for matching bracelets, but the fact that it's a line from your fav couple brings up the idea that the gift was romantic in nature.

Thanks for the replies, see I wasn’t sure if I was reading into it too much or if it was just nothing but I was and still sort of am very confused. It’s my best friend for seven years and if it was anyone else I’d say it was romantic but two years ago someone asked if we were a couple and she said “no that would be weird” and she sometimes refers to me as her platonic soulmate, so like I’m 99% sure she doesn’t like me that way. If it helps any it was matching bracelets saying “I’m with you til the end of the line”. 

Do you normally give gifts? I mean obviously it's a personal gift and if that's not your norm she may have just been feeling a little vulnerable. I think that's a pretty typical thing to say when giving someone a gift if it's not in a situation where gifts are explicitly required and the level of gift predetermined. You want to give them something nice but you don't want a huge deal made and just really hope they like it. 

fandomAlgamation
2 minutes ago, Alarica said:

Thanks for the replies, see I wasn’t sure if I was reading into it too much or if it was just nothing but I was and still sort of am very confused. It’s my best friend for seven years and if it was anyone else I’d say it was romantic but two years ago someone asked if we were a couple and she said “no that would be weird” and she sometimes refers to me as her platonic soulmate, so like I’m 99% sure she doesn’t like me that way. If it helps any it was matching bracelets saying “I’m with you til the end of the line”. 

I think the best way to solve this is to directly ask her what she meant. In the end, it's up to you, but tbh I think you should ask her directly so you don't get all caught up in speculation. The problem with these situations is that eventually you can become so caught up with speculation that you lose grasp of actually trying to tell her, and end up accepting whichever thought has most gone through your head. Maybe I'm just projecting, but I feel like it's not abnormal to get too distracted by guesses.

Thanks for the help everyone, we normally give presents on birthdays and it’s always sort of fandom/ship related but she’s never said something like that before which was why I was so confused. I think I might just leave it as I don’t want to make it weird and I just didn’t want her to think I was ignoring whatever she was trying to say. 

Given the details of your history it could just mean they hope it is not too much in terms of appropriateness (since they know you are ace and don't want you thinking it means more than it really is). However, whatever they said two years ago about you... People's feelings can change. Not to say it has in this case, but that can happen.

Looking at the line... lol, it does not clear up the vagueness of the situation. I do see it more as a very platonic "I got ya back, bro" but it could be taken as something more.

Sorry for being confusing.

Archived