can aro people be in relationships?

hejsandra

i'm not sure wether or not i'm aromantic, though a lot of things in my past / general interest in romance seems to indicate that. i think one of the reasons i feel more hesitant to put on the aromantic label than the asexual one is because it feels like saying i'm aro would shut me off from ever having a relationship, which seems quite scary. 

so this might be a silly question, but could aromantic ppl still want to have partners, even if they're almost completely platonic? like i don't want kisses and dates exactly, but maybe cuddles and feeling the comfort of having someone close who loves you and understands you. i feel like i'd love to date someone in a sense of sharing a life together, you know?

also is there any way to stop mac's from changing aromantic to romantic because i am Annoyed

NerotheReaper

Yes, as TheAP said it is called a queerplatonic relationship. Though every party in the relationship should know what kind of relationship they are going to be in. 

Aro aces can be in relationships, the most common is a queerplatonic relationship, but some choose to be in romantic relationships with allosexual people, it isn't as common but people still do it. I was even in a relationship for a while with someone who is straight, it was before I knew I was aro ace, but it was still a good and healthy relationship that I enjoyed, it wasn't like most relationships but it worked for a while, I don't really know if I would ever try that again though.

I see where you come from. And you can use a label, or not, whenever it is convenient for you. Labels are good for finding people out there similar to you, but you don't need to wear it like a chain. You are you. Be in the kind of relationship you are comfortable with.

I freely label myself as aro ace and I'm in a relationship with a straight guy, have been for more than 6 months now. Being aro does not mean you can't be in a relationship. You can, if you want to. I would recommend informing your potential partner of your possible orientation quite early into the relationship, though. And if your partner can't deal with it, you won't want to deal with them :)

I'm Aro and married. I've put a lot of effort into my relationship as well. I didn't know what aromanticism or QPRs were when I  entered to relationship, but I was always honest and very upfront and he always respected my boundaries. He knew that I was ok with occasional light kissing but didn't like being touched as a rule and he was ok with that. He sees me romantically and I view him platonically . Of course when I found the right terms I told him. It was a lot for him to take on, but we made it through. Our relationship kind of molded itself into something we were both comfortable and happy with. But it's been five years in the making and it took effort to get here. Just be honest with your wants and comfort zones and don't be afraid to move on quickly. QPRs aren't for everybody and there will be people who believe they can 'desensitize' you or get you to 'let down your walls' be decisive on what you're looking for and make a no go list.

Archived