Calling all religious aces

Just a Mo

My Christian faith is very important to me but I have a hard time in churches. Its not that they object, on a biblical basis, to my lack of interest in sex. It is that there are social assumptions that somewhere in my past there were children or that at least I might like to help out with the kids or that I must surely think that sending Barbie dolls to kids in other countries at Christmas is a good idea.etc. And then if they find out what my life has actually been they are either horrified or try to make me out to be some kind of hero for getting through it. I freak the nice church ladies out. How does one find fellowship? I don't know. I go sometimes and limit any conversation to the parts of my spiritual experience that don't intersect with anything that might offend them.  I don't go to church much. Maybe the problem for me is that I really really don't want anything to do with sending Barbie as a Christian messenger.

I don't come out to people that I don't think will accept it. :lol:

I usually find out by asking them their opinions on things to see what they tell me before I come out to them.

I'm an Anglican Christian, and very much a Christian-- I have no doubt in my religion. Currently, my family is attending a Evangelical Presbyterian church.

I have come out to a grand total of three (3) other Christians.

One I only came out to partially; I told them my sexual orientation but not my romantic orientation. I told her honestly, "God created me, and He created me to not want sex. I think He wants me to adopt children who would otherwise not have good, accepting Christian parents. There are so many orphans for me to mother."

The other two I came out to fully. They were fine with it, and I knew they would be.

My parents are devout Christians, and I haven't really come out to them, but they both know I think I might be asexual. I shall never tell them my romantic orientation, because I know it will not go over well.

My mother insists that I am not asexual. She says that I shouldn't be feeling sexual attraction until I'm married. I am 99.997% convinced she is a greeeeeeey demisexual. Because when she has told me about her experiences, they have been pretty much dictionary the dictionary definition of a demisexual who rarely wants sex. She's practically asexual. Which doesn't help me at all, because she thinks her experience is normal and refuses to believe otherwise... And she puts that on me, saying I'll have the same experience she had. So she doesn't allow me to call myself asexual.

My father said "I don't care if you never have sex. But I don't think you need to be labelling yourself." And that was that. No further discussion.

So, yeah... I mostly avoid any backlash by just not telling people who are Christian. I have had some less-than-nice responses from atheist/agnostic people who believe asexuality doesn't exist, but that doesn't really apply here.

I think asexuality goes over better than homosexuality for sure in Christian circles, though.

*shrug* That's my experience.

Hi, I’m a Christian. And I identify as ace. I normally choose not to openly talk about my orientation around religious friends, I’m underground about it there. Not because I’m afraid of not being accepted, but because I’m just uncomfortable with my own faith being potentially used to put me down. But that doesn’t change my beliefs, and no matter how I identify, I’m already Me. 

Archived