Sexual Attraction to My Best Friend

whitefrostbyte

whitefrostbyte

Hi, I'm a demisexual and I've only ever been hetero-romantic, but my sexual orientation has caused some tension between my friend and I. My best friend is a guy, and because we're really close I've started to develop sexual feelings for him, even though I don't have romantic ones. I really want to maintain our friendship, but these feelings are strange, and it's not often that I feel sexual attractions. What do I do?

Hmm, that's a tricky situation. Fantasize to exhaustion, but keep the friendship going? Or try to get a bit of distance, to let the feelings cool off?

I've heard this about demisexuals - that they can develop sexual attraction towards people who they feel deep connection with. Not exclusively romantic partners, but also friends. It seemed strange to me, but come to think of it - over the years I'd developed romantic feeling and some kind of attraction towards several of my best friends. I never acted on them because I wasn't brave enough. Each one of them is still one of my best friends. I never told them. My feelings are long gone but our friendships are even stronger. I am so happy for not being brave enough to destroy it all - nothing was ever gonna come out of it anyway. For me friendships are more important than any romantic or sexual attraction.

Archived