Fanfiction

questioningmyself

questioningmyself

Okay, so who that is part of the ace community turns to fanfiction? I frequently read and write fanfics, aspiring writer here, but I've done this since I've been little. I used to write about Narnia, I was pretty into that as a kid, and then HP, etc. It's just evolved over the years, never being just a phase. I found out recently that I might be asexual after taking some quizzes. Then I took a poll on here, and found a couple of tags I identify with the most.

Heteroromantic- romantic attraction towards the opposite sex

Aegoromantic/Autochorrisromantic- fantasizing about romance or romantic things, but never wanting to do those things or experience those things in real life

Fictoromantic-romantically attracted to fictional characters

Fantaromantic-romantically attracted to people you fantasize about

So therefore, I was curious. Does anyone read fanfiction? If so, have any good fics that you've been reading recently. :)

I love fanfiction. I'm trash for x-readers of all the fandoms which I'm a part of.

I go through phases where I read no fanfic at all for months at a time, and then--oh then--I get into a fanfic mood and I'm stuck reading it for weeks on end.  I usually cycle through a few fandoms, but always come back to Harry Potter eventually.  Not really reading any at the moment though.

IDK if you’re looking for (a)romantic/(a)sexual specifically but if you’re not and you’re into avengers stuff, The Last Archangel trilogy by inukagome15(and other little things in the series) is super good. I’ve reread it three times, each main one is pretty long. (It’s a crossover with Supernatural but not much info is needed from SPN to enjoy it). 

Galactic Turtle

I've read fan fiction on and off since I was twelve. I started writing my own fan fiction about three years ago at age twenty-one.

It's a lot of fun for me! My favorites are ones that involve space travel or fantasy settings. 

I pretty much exclusively read EXO fan fiction and sometimes ones that center on other K-pop groups.

I read and write fanfiction, though I haven't posted anything worth reading (or at all in the past decade). Sometimes its fun to see my favorite characters in situations that the show cant or doesn't explore, or sometimes I'm just obsessed with a character and want more than the show gives, so I look up other sources. Comics and written stories are great, and sometimes a fan can take characters or settings in directions that are even better than the original. I can even appreciate badly written ones, though a terrible sense of believable reactions can ruin even otherwise well written stories. 

Fanfiction is great, and is a good place for new writers to start and experienced writers to have fun and play with ideas. Even when its awful, its awesome. 

Here’s a draft for a story of mine for a game called robocraft, it uses the same in universe setting:

Robots have replaced the military, with humans in charge of them. There are two factions, the CF alliance, and the E14, who are fighting over a energy source known to exist on two planets, mars and an ice planet outside the solar system. On the base planet of the CF alliance, the robotic design leader has purposely modified a single robot to have a ‘defect’, this elite robot also has top secret information, weapon codes for the CF alliance. During tests to find defects, the robot is detected for being anti violence during qualification tests, and is ordered for self destruction, but due to intentional design, is able to take out the explosive module and escape in a escape pod from the training station to earth, where the E14 primary base is located.

At the same time, a stealth bombing of the E14’s capital is ordered by the emperor of the CF alliance, soon after the emperor is dueled by the robotic design leader, who used experimental EMP technology to rig the duel, with the designer successfully winning and taking the place of emperor. Soon after taking the rule of emperor, they discover the stealth bombing mission as it is being operated, they order for its cancel, but the signal doesn't reach them in time to travel the solar system.

Meanwhile, the escape pod is nearly captured by salvagers, when it makes it to earth, it lands near the E14 capital, the robot(Cray, just like all other elite soldiers) and they remove all visible signs of being from the CF alliance, including reprogramming it’s identification code, otherwise they would be shot on sight. They travel to the capital for safety, they know the alliance must be looking for them to secure the information. They arrive the night of the stealth bombing, the city's sensors detect the aircraft, but it was to fast to be shot down in time by surface to air turrets. As they walk by, Cray successfully shoots the bomb in mid air, the explosion sending a shockwave destroying the city's primary defense turret and causing a explosion heavily damaging cray and the area around them (the bomb’s main affect is its shockwave).

Cray is repaired for saving the city, but is inspected and they're origins discovered. They are interrogated due to they're conflicting origin and actions, they're defect is investigated and is put under surveillance. Their weapon codes are nearly discovered.

The invasion planned by the second emperor surrounds the capital, not for its destruction, but rule. Cray sneaks into the quarantined main defense turret control center, nearly being caught in the process, and steals the weapon codes for the E14. Now with weapon codes from both sides, they disarm both sides by sending signals to the E14 at the station and sending signals to the CF alliance with a custom device. 

But the attack ships are filled with troops, they land, surrounding the capital, and now the capital is pinned down. The E14 is forced to surrender the capital, opening access to mars, the energy powerhouse of the solar system. Mars’s defense is prepared, but that to is all part of the plan, as the CF alliance has a secret up its sleeve….

Cray’s memory is terminated, they are no longer needed in the plan, but that may be they're biggest mistake.

there are details I’d like to change to the storyline, it’s nowhere as good as my other project I’m working on... as of yet.

Aw man, I've been reading Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fanfiction for something like 15 years now. :blush:

After Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy came out, I also started reading a lot of Hobbit fanfiction, especially focusing on Thorin and his nephews. <3

I really don't care for stories with romance or sex. But I love friendship and family stories. 

I also occasionally read Final Fantasy VII, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin fanfiction.

And I've also written bits and pieces of stories, mostly one-shots, because I can never finish writing chaptered stories as my motivation tends to wax and wane. Right now I'm trying hard to finish a one-shot for the Teitho Lord of the Rings fanfiction challenge before the end of the month.

If anyone is into these fandoms I can recommend some really solid, well-written works.

NotGojoSatoru

I like reading and writing fanfictions as well. I stick to Naruto and Harry Potter mainly. But then I have started reading Star Wars fics as well. There was a time I was into SPN based fics. 

I like reading crossover fics. It does take some time to find a good crossover for any two fandoms, but when done well it feels exciting reading about it. More than two usually ends up in a big mess. So far I have seen only about two fics, I think that pulled off a three crossover really well, or relatively well, at least.

I like reading fanfics , mostly Life is strange for now.

questioningmyself

me too! I am in the phase of BTS fanfictions right now. Reading a bunch of ace fanfics since they are helping me out. 

questioningmyself

I'm open to reading pretty much anything, and have been writing fanfics since I found Narnia!

I love fanfic, sometimes I read more of that than original stuff. I, unlike what seems to be the norm for this community, love romance/relationship driven stories. I love The idea of love, and love seeing people on relationships, but I don't have any desire for it for myself. I live vicariously through stories to feed my romantic inclinations.

My current fandoms are Kingsman, Percy Jackson, Marvel, Supernatural, and Harry Potter. I don't tend to write a lot, but I love to read well written stories. I've also gone in and out of Sailor Moon, Sherlock, Merlin, Criminal Minds, and NCIS. If anyone's looking for good asexual fics, Supernatural has some really good ace!Cas stories, and I've found some good ace stories in the MCU tag if you're into the Marvel movies.

Anyone here know of some really good cross-over fanfics? Supernatural, Doctor Who, Grimm, etc.?

questioningmyself

@babygyrl09 I am the same way. 

@fuzzipueo what type of crossovers? I know a good one that is Supernatural/sherlock crossed. Also transfers/nikita by the same author. 

13 minutes ago, questioningmyself said:

@babygyrl09 I am the same way. 

@fuzzipueo what type of crossovers? I know a good one that is Supernatural/sherlock crossed. Also transfers/nikita by the same author. 

Supernatural/Sherlock? Sounds promising. :)

I like: Doctor Who, Supernatural, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow (series), Babylon-5, Red Dwarf, Highlander (really old stuff these days - sigh), Forever Knight (more old stuff), Ghostbusters (movies or cartoon series), Star Trek: TNG, Buffy/Angel, heck, I'll take Scooby-Doo and Harry Potter*, as long as it's well written/edited, thoughtful, in good taste romance-wise, intelligent, fun. Bookwise: Magnus Chase, Harry Dresden, Alex Verus, Peter Grant, Tony Foster, Vickie Nelson ...

*Harry Potter - I've only ever read one of those called Harry Potter and the Legacy of the Light - Harry Potter crossed over with Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence.

2 hours ago, questioningmyself said:

So I dunno if you like fanfiction.net, but you can choose crossovers. Here is the one.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10707997/1/Collide

And on AO3, you can choose multiple fandoms to browse or reach by. Makes finding crossovers easy, but you also get a lot of drabble or prompt collections, not crossovers, just multiple shorts in one post.

questioningmyself

I prefer AO3 to be honest, but ff.net has a lot of crossovers as well. without the drabble/prompt amounts. 

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of AO3 - it's really hard to find original content on there. FF.net was my first foray into free reads online, but I spend most of my time at FictionPress.net and sometimes Wattpad (though most of those stories are really, really poorly written and the titles .... yikes! LOL). I will go poke some more! Thanks.

Ooh, fictionpress. I haven't been there for a while. Honestly, I mainly like ao3 for their easy download links, since I'm rarely at my computer and am normally on my phone, and downloading and reading in an e-reader app is easier than trying to read in browser if I've only got a couple minutes at a time.

artisticGryfess
On 1/29/2018 at 9:36 PM, ReyGraves said:

IDK if you’re looking for (a)romantic/(a)sexual specifically but if you’re not and you’re into avengers stuff, The Last Archangel trilogy by inukagome15(and other little things in the series) is super good. I’ve reread it three times, each main one is pretty long. (It’s a crossover with Supernatural but not much info is needed from SPN to enjoy it). 

I'm literally rereading that now what the heck

I'm always looking for new fanfics, currently of the Supernatural variety - though Night Vale, Stand Still Stay Silent, Homestuck, and anything from pretty much any of the more recent musicals are also very much appreciated. There's also this one WtNV/His Dark Materials crossover with a not-outright-stated demi Carlos and it's honestly like published-author well-written - if you like WtNV, you REALLY need to read it. Here's a link.

22 hours ago, artisticGryfess said:

I'm always looking for new fanfics, currently of the Supernatural variety - though Night Vale, Stand Still Stay Silent, Homestuck, and anything from pretty much any of the more recent musicals are also very much appreciated. There's also this one WtNV/His Dark Materials crossover with a not-outright-stated demi Carlos and it's honestly like published-author well-written - if you like WtNV, you REALLY need to read it. Here's a link.

Thanks for the rec. Checking that one out. 

I love reading fanfictions. I think they can be fun ways to explore the personalities of characters in settings other then the canon. I started by reading crossovers and I found regular fanfiction through those:blush:.

My favorites revolve around friendship and family dynamics but if a well written one has a good plot I'm not opposed to ones featuring relationships. A handful of my favorites are from animes (Naruto, One piece, My hero acadamia, etc.) but they can be hard to find really good ones for. I also have a couple I follow from Sherlock, Harry potter, Star wars, Voltron, and a couple others.  I love Stand Still Stay Silent but I haven't read any fics for it.

I like AO3 because it has the full fic on one loaded page option which is useful for long car rides where the internet might be unstable. 

questioningmyself

@fuzzipueo I agree about the wattpad being most often poorly written. It's not fun to have to ponder and correct the grammar. That's why I mostly turn to AO3, since the majority are at least good, grammatically wise.

@Kylocks I've never done it on the mobile before. But yes, it is nice when the internet people are fixing stuff, so that way I don't have to wait to finish. I love HP, usually severitus where Harry is found out to be Snapes kid. I also like LOTR, actually the one I really like is called Daughter of Time on Angel Fire, but it's not finished. .  . . 

Funny you’re asking this, I spent last evening with a bunch of SPN fanfics (I’m autochoris, so they were of the adult kind).

I’ve written a couple of fanfics in the past, and I’d love to do it again, but there’s so much else I need to do :(

FinneganCatch

I love fanfiction. I just love seeing other peoples interpretations of events and characters and what they do with them. I'm an avid reader and reading fanfiction allows me to read as much as I like without going over my book budget (currently non existent) or over my space limitations (which would expand as soon as I build those two bookcases in my living room). I pretty much read fanfiction every day even if just for a little and I'll often re read my favorites just like I would reread a book. I follow a wide variety of fandoms not just books too. AU's are one of my favorite or crossovers but I read pretty much anything well written to be honest. Started years and years ago and though my tastes have gotten better its still one of my favorite past times. I write a little bit but never post anything. I love AO3 but I started with fanfiction.net and still continue to use it periodically. I'm currently immersed in the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey and specifically the Friends Across Borders fanfiction series by MueraRashaye on AO3. Highly recommend it to anyone familiar with the Valdemar series it is wonderful.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:41 AM, artisticGryfess said:

OMG, thanks so much for the rec! This is amazingly well-written, and has fantastic world-building.  Most HDM crossovers are just "the world is the same, but they've got daemons", but this actually blends the two worlds in a way that makes sense (as much as Night Vale ever makes sense, hah).

questioningmyself

@Adachiku So am I! I usually float between being in the mood for more adult fics and fluffy fics. I really like the hurt/comfort right now. 

Archived