"Old timer" logging in for the first time

Pseudacris

Hi folks. As an older mid-thirties person who is comfortably settled into a wonderful career, it wasn't until last year I finally realized that asexuality was a thing. I did the social norms of dating but they all flopped in pretty painful ways, as I found the inevitable expectation of sex to be overwhelming and I broke off relationships at the first sign of intimacy. I'm just not interested and never, ever had a sex drive. One partner even suggested that there was something wrong with me, and that's when I did a full stop and started researching hard. It's a relief that a place like this exists and I'm frankly annoyed with myself for taking this long to join.

The support material I've found so far is excellent and the discussions thoughtful and honest. I appreciate that. It's clear you all put a lot of thought and effort into this place. I plan to be hanging out around here more often.

Hi, nice to meet you. I'm pretty new as well but everyone I've talked to seems really nice and open. Don't beat yourself up for taking "too long" to find AVEN, if you weren't looking for it then you would've never found it. Hope you like it here :D

Hello, and welcome! :cake: I'm also a mid-thirties person who took way too long to come across this concept after over a decade of failed attempts at getting interested in sex. (I joined three years ago today, actually! :)) I encourage you to explore the site and jump in on discussions, or start your own topic! There's a 30-somethings thread in Older Asexuals which is a fun place to hang out and talk about whatever you want, whether it's related to a/sexuality or not.

:cake:

Call yourself an old-timer? I'm over 60 and went through similar experiences to you, but 20 odd years later in life. I've not been here a whole year yet, but can tell you that it's a great place.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard! I'm quite new myself but I can say this place is full of lovely people who are willing to help you out if you have questions! Also it's customary to present you with cake upon your first post so here you go!

chocolate-truffle-cake-dark-chocolate-ca

Welcome to AVEN indeed.

Understanding asexuality and joining this community has been a joyful experience for me.

I hope it all rubs off onto you and keeps glittering for a long time.

Welcome! Don't worry about it too much, the term hasn't been around tat long either, so if you'd searched it up years ago you probably wouldn't even have found it. 

56476cc2b7f254.58157922.jpg?width=910&he

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

11 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Call yourself an old-timer? I'm over 60 and went through similar experiences to you, but 20 odd years later in life. I've not been here a whole year yet, but can tell you that it's a great place.

Welcome!

Haha, I hear ya. I was looking at relative ages of folks on here and figured I was above the median, hence why I put old timer in quotes.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Archived