"Asexuals struggle to come out in this sexed-up world"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

ABC News (Australia? I assume that's what the "au" means in the url...) 

17 January 2018

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-01-18/being-asexual-in-a-sexually-charged-society/9304594

Sex sells. Whether you're getting it or not, it's hard to avoid it.

So imagine what it would be like to live in this sexed-up world and yet never experience sexual attraction.

We're not talking about lapses in libido, or a decline in desire. We're talking about asexuality.

Although the visibility around it has increased in recent years, the first time I learned about it was when I met my friend Steph in 2015.

She is asexual and aromantic — which means she doesn't experience sexual or romantic attraction.

Steph learned she was asexual seven years ago at the age of 19. After a confusing and upsetting adolescence, it all clicked into place.

"I knew straight away when I heard of it that that was me," she says.

"I remember exactly where I was, I was driving home from uni. They were talking about it on triple j and it hit me, right there."

In more recent years since Steph's coming out, there has been some representation of asexuality within popular culture — indeed, there's been more discussion around diversity in the media in general.

But, she says, plenty of people still have no idea that asexuality exists as a sexual identity.

Archived