intersex definition?

LoisLane

As I've just read the great masterlist about gender post here and I never considered intersex simply because I never read the definition before and I'm a bit confused with it and curious to see if I would fit the definition. 

See, I was born a girl, and always identified as such as far as I can remember (I was a real tomboy for years, before my teenage years but never denied my assigned gender or felt the need to do so) I just lacked the "opening" aka my vagina. I do have all my female internal reproductive organs, the tubbing just wasn't finished ;/ So I don't think it does fit me but the intersex definition talked about genetalias differences so I wonder if someone could clarify? 

IIt doesn't change anything to my identity and I'm not bothered or even have been bothered by it directly. I'm just curious.

On another note, however I know that when my parents had me, I was their first at 24 yo, an intern made fun of them like was I a girl or a boy? And that sucks for them, some doctors are so close-minded and insensitive but as myself, this problem never caused me to question my gender (though it probably influenced my asexuality but that's another thing).

5 minutes ago, Mermaidy said:

have your doctors ever said anything about this?

No, it's pretty much granted from their povs that I'm a girl, organs and all so it never came up really. I was just curious as it is the first time I read the definitition and I was a bit confused by it.

intersex is more when there are both male and female characteristics, it sounds more like you just had a genetic abnormality there that stopped the vagina from ending in an 'opening'. 

something I keep forgetting to mention on AVEN but I'm sure a lot of people would get excited about is this village somewhere in the world where a percentage of the kids are born with the outward physical characteristics of a female which are apparently convincing enough for people to believe that child is a girl, but they turn into a boy by growing a penis when they hit puberty. I'm assuming it's a genetic anomaly where close relations were, er, 'doing the deed' with each often in the village, so somehow it ended up in the gene pool? I was watching a documentary about it and some of the boys were saying it was strange wondering if they'd turn into a girl or not when they turn 12. ..Anyway that was totally off topic but for some reason I was finally reminded of it so decided I'd mention it :P

Thanks for clearing that up! It does make sense to me now ;)

whoah I never ever heard about this village! That must be really confusing indeed but I guess if this is a phenomenon known to the village they might be aware that might happen so I gather they must have a different take on their sexuality indeed. As it is known, it can be the norm for them to wonder. That's fascinating indeed and bring up some wonders of science.

57 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

...something I keep forgetting to mention on AVEN but I'm sure a lot of people would get excited about is this village somewhere in the world where a percentage of the kids are born with the outward physical characteristics of a female which are apparently convincing enough for people to believe that child is a girl, but they turn into a boy by growing a penis when they hit puberty. I'm assuming it's a genetic anomaly where close relations were, er, 'doing the deed' with each often in the village, so somehow it ended up in the gene pool? I was watching a documentary about it and some of the boys were saying it was strange wondering if they'd turn into a girl or not when they turn 12. ..Anyway that was totally off topic but for some reason I was finally reminded of it so decided I'd mention it :P

I came across that, too; I think this is it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4767848/Caribbean-village-little-girls-turn-BOYS.html

www.nationalgeographic.com.au/people/the-village-where-girls-turn-into-boys.aspx

2 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Yes, that's it!! Though here is one from a bit more of a reputable source (National Geographic) in case anyone see's that Daily Mail article and calls us silly billies for believing anything we read there, haha :P

2 minutes ago, LoisLane said:

@FictoVore. thanks for the link! Going to discover that now ;)

There is a documentary about it too, I think that Nat Geo article mentions it. The doco is super interesting!! I watch a LOT of gender debates on YouTube and have never seen anyone bring this village up, I'd think it would throw quite an interesting spanner into many of the modern arguments people have surrounding the topic of gender.

Archived