I'm asexual and I'm worried about future relationships

Meena :)

Hallo! so, i'm asexual and have been for quite a while. I'm worried about any future relationships. I know that i want to be in a relationship because i have severe diagnosed monophobia, specifically with living alone for extended periods of time, and i also want to be in a relationship because i want that companionship, however, i have yet to meet any asexual men anywhere let alone in my state where i'm going to school. I'm worried that i'll fall in love with an allosexual who pressures me to have sex with him and i don't know if i'll know how to handle it. i'm also worried that, because of this seemingly lack of asexual men around me, i'll end up being alone forever because i'll never be able to find anyone. so yeah does anyone have advice for either of those two things? thanks :)

Hello.

I am asexual but I am romantically drawn to females so I cannot say much about asexual men. I was in a relationship for 7 months with a girl that was not ace but she was very kind and understanding and respected my asexuality. 

If you stick with a man that is asexual, I am sure you will find someone that is respectful and kind whether you want a romantic relationship or just a platonic relationship.

Hello and welcome to the AVEN forums, Meena! Have some cake... :cake: :-)

15 hours ago, Meena :) said:

I know that i want to be in a relationship because i have severe diagnosed monophobia, specifically with living alone for extended periods of time, and i also want to be in a relationship because i want that companionship

Have you considered finding roommates/housemates to live with, instead of searching for a relationship partner?

Hi Meena

I think a lot of us are worried about finding companionship.  I know I'm fine being single for now (I think I'm GREAT company!) but I would like a life-partner down the road, and I worry that if my depression resurges and I don't have a companion, my quality of life with plummet as I'll have no one to drag me out into society.  ^_^;  It can be tough to find people since we're spread so thin, and in a lot of ways we're only just starting to find ourselves as a community.  Joining AVEN was a great first step though; you can find some like-minded friends here.  If you'd like more ways to try to connect to people, you can try Meetup to find ace gatherings in your area.  AVEN also has a list of Ace Dating Sites, and one member here is actually programming a website for that purpose.  

Rolando makes a good point; the most important thing is to get as many of your social and emotional needs met now as possible.  That will help take the pressure off of your search so you can afford to be patient-- because the consensus is, you'll have to be very patient.  Patient and dogged.  Take things one step at a time, and connect with folks in person and online.  

People do find romantic and queerplatonic partnerships, but I know how desperate and daunting it can feel.  You can message me if you want!  I've been wanting to make some friends, but my last semester of college ate me alive, so I haven't done much since making my account.  

Best of luck :)

Archived