How To Write Genderqueer Characters

Stars_In_Their_Eyes

Stars_In_Their_Eyes

Okay, so, I write quiet a lot of queer characters, but often its more non-binary and agender charters i write about, since i am Non-bianary myself and know what pronouns to use (i also write trans characters, but that doesn't really apply to my question) but i have a lot of trouble writing characters of a different gender, most notably a bi-gender character and gender fluid ones. I'm not really sure how to write the pronouns and i don't want them to be completely wrong, but i don't want to not have them represented either. 

So my question for you is, how does one write these characters? thank you.

You could write with they, but that seems not very representative to me, so here's an alternative.

I don't know about bigender, but for genderfluid, I would write them in the pronouns that the protagonist knows them as. I've heard people switch between he/she pronouns every instance for bigender. Sort of like, for a bigender person named Rowan:

...Rowan bent down and picked up the twig. He inspected it, grasping it between her fingers. "Huh." he said noncommittally. "What?" I asked, wondering what she meant. Rowan continued, his eyes staring at the twig in such a way as though they were pulling all the secrets away from it. "There," she said, pointing at the bark on the twig. "Writing. A message, I think." His eyes glazed over in thought. "I don't know what it means." she said. He handed the twig over to me, and I gingerly plucked it from her hand. Indeed, there was small, spidery writing on the twig, in a language I couldn't comprehend. I handed the twig back to Rowan...

18 hours ago, Stars_In_Their_Eyes said:

so, I write quiet a lot of queer characters,

Ohh could I see a few comics?

Archived