The Bright Sessions

Andiamo

The Bright Sessions is an amazing podcast that is basically about therapy for people with superpowers. As such, it naturally deals a lot with a variety of mental health issues. What is wasn't expecting was all the casual representation I found. In addition to at least some diversity in pretty much every area I could think of, there are a lot of queer characters - and the representation is done right. They have characters who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, and even ace! And they don't conflate asexuality with aromanticism. I would highly recommend listening to it. The ace character is introduced early on, but her asexuality isn't mentioned until later because it's not a part of her identity that she really needs to discuss in therapy.

girlwiththelongskirt

thanks for the tip, I'm going to give it a try!

Content warning for that podcast: Panic attacks, time travel/time progression, anger management, hearing voices (kinda), abuse of power and trust by medical personnel, bloody and violent ending of the first season, several mental health issues being discussed in detail.

I had some trigger problems with the show, and it got too intense and exhausting to me after a while, so I stopped listening after the first season. But it's an interesting concept with very talented people behind it. Worth checking out if none of the cw's are a problem.

girlwiththelongskirt

I've just finished it and I absolutely loved I (if you didn't notice by the fact that I binge watched it). Thanks for the recommendation! If you've got more, I'm open to suggestions.

@Char-lotte99 Yay! I'm glad you loved it! I definitely binged it when I was first listening to it, too. PM me if you want to talk about it! A couple other podcasts I listen to (which both also have great queer representation and are a lot weirder that The Bright Sessions) are Welcome to Night Vale and Alice Isn't Dead.

The Bright Sessions is one of my favorite podcasts! ^_^  It's a great story, and the queer representation is done pretty well in my opinion.  It never really feels like the non-hetero characters are there just to fill some sort of diversity quota, or are acting stereotypical caricatures.   10/10 would recommend

57 minutes ago, Kisa the Kit Kat said:

I thought there were two ace characters (one romantic and one aromantic) but I could have misheard something in that podcast before.

I don't think so, but I might have missed something.

I was actually able to be in a q+a with the creator and cast, and I asked about representation, and ace representation in particular, and both Lauren (the writer) and Anna (the actress) said that it had been in their head the whole time, and they didn't really even talk about it until late in the 1st season.

But yeah, I love The Bright Sessions, and as long as you can handle yourself (watch your triggers, and take care, people), I would recommend giving it a try.

I've just fallen in love with this podcast. Thanks for the recommendation @Andiamo

Lana Overland

Lana approved.

Archived