Proposal for General Review: AVEN Project Team

AVENguy

I am for this and it does sound good. In fact the problems I originally had with the idea dissolved when i read through the post a second time. Even though you haven't dwelved into the full scope of your plan it appears to be very well thought out.

Carsonspire

Although I tend to shun centralized structure, I think this is a good direction for AVEN to progress. I would be interested in getting personally involved in the Project Team, especially with "interlanguage coordination" (German).

Seriously, every time I think about our senate thing, I get this image of my head of a Star Wars prequel-esque senate with a SUPREME CHANCELLOR and everything. And when you wrote about ideas being nominated by board members in said senate, all I could see was Jar Jar Binks suggesting like, a clone army (how strangely appropriate!) or something. I'm just a huge dork...

Anyways. I'm slightly warming to the idea, but it still puts me off. The idea of a few people running everything outside of the forum bothers me. Sure, there'd be voting. But look at how great democracy is going so far in large bodies. There's always problems with misinterpretations of desires/needs as well as problems with representation of all valid ideas.

I am also flattered that I wrote something coherent enough for people to agree with. For a while I was worried that I was the only dissenting voice, as it took me close to 12 hours of mulling it all over to put my thoughts together and no one else had been all "now wait what?" So yes. Flattered am I (hmmmmmmmm?).

SpirallingSnowy

I just wantedto add that i would like to have the oppotunity to be part of the Project Team, if i could.

I just wantedto add that i would like to have the oppotunity to be part of the Project Team, if i could.

This brings up a good point:

When will the applications/elections be opened and how will they be conducted?

AVENguy's post hints at this, but a more detailed explanation would be helpful.

When I first read it I was not against the idea, but I wasn't "all for" yay either, and agreed with AmoebicMe etc.

I had been wondering whether there would be a need for something like this soon, so I'm not surprised and think it is probably needed now.

I think I was a little unsure at first because it seemed like such a big idea/vision, and I didn't have enough details to form an opinion.

Now I know more about it and have thought on it, it looks better. It sounds very well thought out so there shouldn't be any major problems in carrying it out.

It seems this won't have much effect on the forums, only on the stuff that most of us generally aren't involved in.

I'd be interested in the Project Team, too, but I might not be the best choice, keeping in mind that I'm still a minor (at least in the US). Possibly the Static Content or User Survey. *shrug*

But, today I realized that how much the Project Team would be useful, in way of interviews and such. During Creative Writing, while we were in the computer lab, I Googled asexuality, and of course the first link was to here (yay!) but the rest of the page were all articles on asexuality. I skimmed most of them, and they all had quotes from David, except one, I think, that still had a link to AVEN.

So, I still think it's a really good idea :D

I'm feelinga nit better about with further clarication but I stil have afew concerns int he way AmoebicMe mentioned about the way it's going to run.

SpirallingSnowy
I'd be interested in the Project Team, too, but I might not be the best choice, keeping in mind that I'm still a minor (at least in the US). Possibly the Static Content or User Survey. *shrug*

So, I still think it's a really good idea :D

Well it depends if minors would be able to access and facilitate the items that project team are are working on. If they arnt on the same parralell, then perhaps some time in the future, or along side the project team, there could be a small contingent of minors, who are able to expand their idea around peers their own age, and a smaller structer structure, rather thant the greater community. obviously im jumping way ahead here, but for more and more teens, they are learning about sexuality at school, and are more equpped to developing their ideas and concepts of what their sexuality actually is, and what their options are, that when i was a teenager. more and more resources are available to him that wasnt available to previous generations. Its just another avenue that older, more worldly Project team memebers may not want to access or know how to disperse the said information, or understand well enough that someone of a similar age frame as highschool, or recent school leavers, would.

When I read DJ's first post, I had mixed feelings and thoughts. First I think I finally realized how much this dude did/does for all of us here and I am flabbergasted (and very grateful)--so of course I say yes, let's give the guy a break. I also thought, tho, how totally helpful this whole community is and has been for me and so many otherd and would hate to lose it. I am not afraid, tho, of things changing too much as I get the feeling that those who get on the Project Team also value AVEN as much as the rest of us and (especially with David still around) will keep the Community spirit. But this "movement" is growing and, although he's a "remarkable young man", David sounds like he's gonna get a bit overwhelmed soon and getting an organized group ready to handle it is a great idea!! My $.02 :)

From what I gather, a lot of the Program Team's responsibilities will extend outside AVEN. Or at least, outside the AVEN forum. If I understand correctly what is being proposed, this new group will work to promote AVEN and asexuality in areas other than this discussion forum. Kind of like what DJ is doing now all by himself... but with more people, more effort can be spent on that, more ideas can come to fruition, and DJ won't suffer from burnout.

Ohh, ok. Thanks Torgo! :)

Edit: That post was on the first page? I must've overlooked it originally. :P

DJ, you need to get back here and explain more of your plan to take over the world!

pinkybrain_cage2.jpg

SpirallingSnowy

hehehe " What are we doing tonight brain??"

" the same thing we do every night pinky, plan to take over the WORLD!!!"

sorry.got side tracked lol.....

DJ where are ya mate??? :)

I'm interested in proposed new developments, a bit worried by them (BUT - if they dont affect AVEN per se - unworried), and bothered slightly by a kind of suggested official asexual source (whether for funding, media contact, or future research programmes.)

This set of fora- AVEN-haven- has been marvellous: for the first time in my 59yrold life, I can talk with peers about my natural neuterdom/asexuality - DJ, ka nui aku mihi, ka mahana ka mihi na - thank you so much for all you have begun, and continue with-

I am interested in what happens next-

Amen Islander! I think it's safe to say we all love this place, and we can see the potential in it. DJ has worked wonders for our cause, but there's going to be a lot more to do in the near future and there's only so much anyone can handle alone.

I'm fully in support of this plan because it doesn't sound like the team will be taking over control of anything that DJ hasn't already been handling all on his own. They'll just be able to handle that much more.

To make the obvious joke, Deej is finally living up to his amoebic reputation and replicating himself by division.

Ok, seems like we've had a good amount of public discussion. I'm gonna start the campaign process.

No no no no no! Bad all over the place!

You still need to clarify what *you* see the project team being like and what you believe its responsibilities should be and all that crazy stuff like that that is making a lot of us go "whaty what I don't know about this!"

You, Mr. AVEN HIMSELF, are grounded. GROUNDED I SAY.

I wouldn't mind some clarification either.

I too think additional clarification would be good. It would help insure that all candidates who run are interested since they know what they are getting into, and it will also allow them to make sure they can dedicate the time and energy into their position.

Though a minor could probably not be used as official contact, I think the team could benefit from younger input - I mean who better to ask about what impression the teenagers will have on an issue than a teenager?

I mean who better to ask about what impression the teenagers will have on an issue than a teenager?

Dead people. :D

That's sort of what I was talking about with SpirallingSnowy and Dixie... we could have sort of a little mini-Team that sort of makes the site move open to younger people... and, well, we already have the Older Asexuals forum, but then we can have a little mini-Team of older AVENites that can improve the site for older people... and then of course there would be the actual Team...

I mean who better to ask about what impression the teenagers will have on an issue than a teenager?

Dead people. :D

That's sort of what I was talking about with SpirallingSnowy and Dixie... we could have sort of a little mini-Team that sort of makes the site move open to younger people...

Hmm..that's an interesting thought. I think that if we had a big meetup of the teens ever, and it was just them, maybe parents might be a little more lenient towards it since we're all teens. There wouldn't be as much worry over the idea of abductions or anything. *shrugs* I dunno..just a thought.

Sounds good, but I can agree that clarification is always good. I guess this is a blunt reminder that AVEN isn't just a message board niche for people do hang out; it is, and is becoming more than that.

Hallucigenia

I think that one of the reasons there hasn't been additional clarification is because the Project Team is designed to define its own functions to some extent. But I could be wrong.

Seems to be the case rereading the stuff that has been posted here.

Nugan and I were thinkin' the same thing. It's still annoying though. And could definately keep some people from running, based upon whether it will be mostly in-site or in-the-real-world where the work would be done.

It's still annoying though. And could definately keep some people from running, based upon whether it will be mostly in-site or in-the-real-world where the work would be done.

This is my primary concern as well. Some people might be intimidated by the possibility of having to do things that will never actually be a responsibility of the team.

It's still annoying though. And could definately keep some people from running, based upon whether it will be mostly in-site or in-the-real-world where the work would be done.

This is my primary concern as well. Some people might be intimidated by the possibility of having to do things that will never actually be a responsibility of the team.

Or jump right into it, thinking they can handle it, but then realize that the responsibility is too much.

Archived