G0D

Why is AS-NS still not on the "Community Link"s page?

G0D

It's been 18 months, and we are still going... But why doesn't AVEN wan't to acknowledge it?

http://as-ns.net 

We have getting on for 500 signed up members, we have about 50,000 page views a month, but nada... 

I was happy with just tagging this on the end of Toffington's thread, but @ChillaKilla made me see sense. I really should give this subject a thread of it's own.

I mean Ace-Times doesn't get anything either. I get that though, it is a bit start stoppy, but then so are so many of the other links. 

As for being a competitor to AVEN, I hardly think so. We are more of the antidote. 

I didn't start AS-NS off as a competitor to AVEN either as was suggested HERE I started it because few people wanted a place we could talk without the same rules that apply here. We wanted a place that was run by the people that contributed, and a place that was as transparent as possible. The strange thing is that the lack of rules actually makes people more civil to one another than it seems here. 

So come on AVEN, by now you guys know the rumours, and the accusations are untrue, And the first site on your list shows more open, and long term animosity towards AVEN than AS-NS does. 

Isn't it time we get our mention, maybe add Ace TImes too?? 

EDITED: I got the figures wrong... sorry,. 

• Like 2

Sally
7 minutes ago, G0D said:

As for being a competitor to AVEN, I hardly think so. We are more of the antidote. 

An antidote is known to be something to rescue people from poison.  So you consider AVEN poison, but you're upset because AVEN doesn't advertise as-nt?  

• Like 3

Polygon
22 minutes ago, G0D said:

AVEN:

38b.png

Yeah, but sure, why not. All ~12 people in the history of visitations to this site that actually looked at community links will be thrilled. /s

• Like 5

G0D
6 minutes ago, Sally said:

An antidote is known to be something to rescue people from poison.  So you consider AVEN poison, but you're upset because AVEN doesn't advertise as-nt?  

That's putting it a bit strong... The antidote can just mean to reverse the effects of something. And we do.. We are very different in many ways to AVEN, in our structure, in the way we decide things, and in the rules. 

As much as I disagree with many of the ways AVEN does things, I would hardly call it a poison.. And, I am hardly "Upset". It is not about "Advertising", Apositive has and still does have many threads, in fact one of their longest threads is derogatory towards AVEN, it is still there. 

AVEN is a service, well claims to be, and wants to help people find the right space for themselves. It is not all about the forum. AS-NS provides a space that is very different to AVEN in that there are no rules about offence and the like,it means people are more open and candid with their opinions, and humour. There is nothing wrong with that space, some people want to be able to speak their mind, and like to get a chat when things go wrong, and not warnings and the like. 

• Like 1

Sally

Why does AS-NS state that it is a "better class of asexuality"?  What does that mean?  

• Like 3

G0D
1 minute ago, Sally said:

Why does AS-NS state that it is a "better class of asexuality"?  What does that mean?  

It's a joke... 

G0D

Before you ask the reason that "Fucking Unsafe Space" is full of threads containing cute fluffy animals and the like... Yeah.. Another joke.. You had to be there. 

http://as-ns.net/villa/categories/peace-at-last-

You really do need to have a sense of humour to get the place. I am not saying the place is for everyone, BUT it is for asexuals, and it for-fills all of AVENs conditions. Some people want a place for tea and sympathy, and some people like to have a bit of banter, and a heated debate from time to time without getting in to trouble. 

G0D

Further....

Apositive...13 posts since Jan 1 of which 6 are by their own admin
Asexual Exploitations ....is gone , account suspended so I guess it's been wound up
demigrace .....shows only 2 posts in 2017 and one in 2016
Freedom requires wings....no posts since 2014
The asexual story....no posts since 2014
Trans yada ...the link is broken and only shows 403 forbidden

It's clear that if we are promoting asexuality in all it's guises then most of those links do not work or have no content within recent years...an-ns is current, does work, is active and offers another string to asexualities bow which falls under avens own mission statement of visibility, then it would help as aven has helped others before, push the asexual visibility mission.

On apositive two things:

the most successful thread  on apositive is  "remind me to never ever look at aven again " was created by an ex aven admin now a current aven mod.

As for the issue raised with a "better class of asexuality" for an-ns....apositive's description has ...OUR "NOT QUITE BLAND ENOUGH FOR AVEN" COMMUNITY   within it's headers and has never been an issue for aven since apositive's inception.

Oh and in comparison with the other sites, in this month so far we have had 2,352 comments..

Surely it would be worth AVEN bringing it's links up to date as it makes out that there is not much going on here and now..

AVEN has it's place, and we will never be able to or want to have the numbers of AVEN.. AS-NS users are generally older, more laid back, and less left leaning politically than AVEN. Some people like being here, some people enjoy AS-NS.. I joke that AVEN should give our address out to those who get warnings, as we all seem to have fallen foul of AVEN discipline. We will happily take AVENs criminals <chuckles>..

• Like 1

.Lia

Wasn't as-ns told to re-apply for community link status after 6 or 8 months (or something) since the last communication about it? I could be wrong but I thought that was the conclusion.

• Like 8

G0D

1 hour ago, .Lia said:

Wasn't as-ns told to re-apply for community link status after 6 or 8 months (or something) since the last communication about it? I could be wrong but I thought that was the conclusion.

This is the point.. I have asked many times about this, and this very thing is brought up again and again. But the thing is that I remember being told this in about March time Last Year, and as no one knows when the 6 months started, then no one knows when it is that we may reapply. 

Also as you may be aware, the issues, and accusations that stopped AS-NS's status being recognised have now been shown to be false, and groundless. (I am happy to discuss that part in private, as it benefits no one to bring those issues up here)

The answer I always get is wait 6 months, but its now over a year since AS-NS went public. I really think we have addressed all the concerns raised, and we have dealt with all the problems that were pointed out, and done way more than that.

IF there are any issues that AVEN can see that would mean that it just could not bring it's self to recognise AS-NS as an asexual resource please can you let us know what else we have to do, or is it only sites that are dead, and no longer active that get the coveted recognised status? While the last sentence is meant in jest, the sire list really needs updating. There are other sites that have come of age in the last 12 months, but AVEN is just so slow to catch up, it's pointing people towards resources that no longer exist, and/or that are no longer active, and is ignoring those where interesting things are taking place. Surely it would be better for AVEN and the community as a whole if it's links to external sites were current?

Isn't it just time that the hatchet was buried for good? While many of the AS-NS community is openly critical of AVEN, there has never been any attempt to disrupt AVEN, or engage in anything to breach AVEN's security, trust, or privacy, and we have done our best to prove to AVEN that we are not a threat including having AVEN moderators take part in the AS-NS decision making process. 

Regardless of the timing doesn't AVEN care that it's links are pointing to places where nothing is happening, and ignoring where all the action is? I mean I know there is an ARO site that looked fairly busy using the same software as AVEN (I can't remember the URL unfortunately).. The only three sites that have decent daily activity at the moment that have been about for at least 12 months are Ace-times, AVEN, and AS-NS, Oh Ace Times gets a fair bit of traffic too..  http://acetimes.org way more than some of the other links. 

.Lia

6 months (or any other time frame) is always from the date that the official communication was sent. I'm unclear if anything was ever sent, tbh, and that's on the Admods. The last thing I see in Admods is from August of 2017. If we take from that date that would mean February will be 6 months. Since that's the last date that I can see anything discussed, and it doesn't mean that's when it was actually sent (or that it was at all), then if I were in your position, I would put your request together and send it now. 

• Like 6

daveb
7 hours ago, G0D said:

Trans yada ...the link is broken and only shows 403 forbidden

Transyada still exists; if the link is broken I can proved a correct link to any admod.

• Like 5

iff
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Transyada still exists; if the link is broken I can proved a correct link to any admod.

transyada comes up as 403 forbidden when i click it, then if i go refresh on the page 403 forbidden, then works.,

i think the problem is related to https

• Like 1

FaerieFate

On a semi-related note. Thanks for bringing the fact that community links is out of date to my attention. I shall do what I can to update it. 

• Like 3

Pramana
27 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

On a semi-related note. Thanks for bringing the fact that community links is out of date to my attention. I shall do what I can to update it. 

I brought this issue to the attention of admods two months ago, and was told that it was being looked into, but nothing has happened during the intermediary...

• Like 2

FaerieFate
3 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I brought this issue to the attention of admods two months ago, and was told that it was being looked into, but nothing has happened during the intermediary...

I wasn't mod 2 months ago? So I don't know what came from that, but I'll make sure it's done. 

• Like 4

nameinagame

The front page of as-ns says the site is still under construction. (see http://www.as-ns.net/)

I've scanned through your site and it doesn't really seem like an 'ace resource'. It's more just a bunch of threads made by people who are ace. I can't even find a definition of asexuality anywhere on it, but maybe it is hidden away somewhere. For something to be a resource, I would at the very least expect to see a basic selection of helpful um.. resources? on the site. You know, some valuable information that took time to produce and refine and which helps the general ace community.

I'm not saying your site is bad. If anything, it is a good thing to have a more varied set of sites out there (so people can find an ace forum in which they feel comfortable). I'm just saying it doesn't really feel like a resource. It wouldn't be high up on my list of places I would point someone who has never heard about asexuality to.

• Like 1

shockkkk

The decision does strike me as fishy, considering the traffic the site gets.

Also, I may as well mention that places like apositive, which have been listed as long as I remember, for the last couple of years has basically been a couple former AVEN members complaining about what this site has become, so being anti-AVEN or whatever is hardly relevant to the discussion.

fiѕh
8 hours ago, G0D said:

I mean I know there is an ARO site that looked fairly busy using the same software as AVEN (I can't remember the URL unfortunately)..

you probably meant this one? http://www.arocalypse.com/forums/

I registered there and went back to AVEN cause their chat is dead, but I think the forums are like... semi-active

• Like 2

.Lia
3 hours ago, shockkkk said:

The decision does strike me as fishy, considering the traffic the site gets.

Also, I may as well mention that places like apositive, which have been listed as long as I remember, for the last couple of years has basically been a couple former AVEN members complaining about what this site has become, so being anti-AVEN or whatever is hardly relevant to the discussion.

The decisions was made based on the fact that as-ns had been extremely new at the time of initial application. There was a breakdown of communication (as far as I can see) with the official answer, but you can consider my last post the official answer if you'd like (and the following, since I'll repeat and also amend (I was at work when I answered) what I've said):

There should have been an official communication sent to AVEN user @G0D in regards to the application to add http://as-ns.net/villa/ to the Community Links forum around the end of July or the beginning of August of 2017. That communication would have read that in the month of June 2017 it was communicated to G0D that the application for an AVEN account for Ace Times be held for 6 months from that time in order for Admods to determine that as-ns.net was an established, reputable source within the asexual community. Had the second communication gone out in July/August, it would have requested the same amount of time be observed for an application for listing in Community Links and for the same reasons. No matter which way the dice fell as far as the dates, whether June, July, or August, six months have now passed and the application(s) can be resubmitted for discussion. 

For future reference, in regards to anything in official communications: if the communication says to wait X months, or that something will expire in Y days, etc., that means to count from the date that the communication was sent forward that amount of time.

I'd be happy to answer further, more specific, questions via PM.

• Like 4

G0D
10 hours ago, nameinagame said:

The front page of as-ns says the site is still under construction. (see http://www.as-ns.net/)

I've scanned through your site and it doesn't really seem like an 'ace resource'. It's more just a bunch of threads made by people who are ace. I can't even find a definition of asexuality anywhere on it, but maybe it is hidden away somewhere. For something to be a resource, I would at the very least expect to see a basic selection of helpful um.. resources? on the site. You know, some valuable information that took time to produce and refine and which helps the general ace community.

I'm not saying your site is bad. If anything, it is a good thing to have a more varied set of sites out there (so people can find an ace forum in which they feel comfortable). I'm just saying it doesn't really feel like a resource. It wouldn't be high up on my list of places I would point someone who has never heard about asexuality to.

Why does it have to have a definition of asexuality in order to be a resource? The front page is under debate and construction. The forum though is a place where asexuals can discuss anything and everything, and is there for a service, or resource. 

- not in reply to the post but thread -

I do sort of resent the place being described as belonging to me, or being mine. It is run by the users, paid for by the users, and every decision has been come to by vote. I dreamt the place up, but as soon as it got users was the time it became an entity unto it's self. I have in fact been out voted more times than not. I guess I would describe myself as the developer, but the whole point of it was that it should be a fully democratic space where people could discuss anything, and diversity of opinion is encouraged. 

• Like 2

.Lia
2 hours ago, G0D said:

- not in reply to the post but thread -

I do sort of resent the place being described as belonging to me, or being mine. It is run by the users, paid for by the users, and every decision has been come to by vote. I dreamt the place up, but as soon as it got users was the time it became an entity unto it's self. I have in fact been out voted more times than not. I guess I would describe myself as the developer, but the whole point of it was that it should be a fully democratic space where people could discuss anything, and diversity of opinion is encouraged. 

You've taken up the spearhead position, though. There is always a "leader" or "owner" or "president" or whatever title you want to put on the position. Most usually, the creator of the project/place/whatever is the person who has this title and/or position. Sometimes by choice, and sometimes because it's the way the chips fall. I don't think it's meant to be disrespectful to anyone or how your site is run. For me personally, from a perspective of Admod, you're the figurehead because you're the one who sends the requests, handles communication about situations involving both AVEN and as-ns, whether good or bad.

It's just...easier to say "Grep's site" than as-ns (I'm talking from a touch-typing perspective for me personally. The dash is out of the way and a pain in my ass, even if one label has more letters).

• Like 3

Puck

Just for the record, here is the criterial posted in Site Info Center that a site must meet in order to be added to AVEN's Community Links page:

On 9/3/2012 at 3:25 PM, Amcan said:

Sites must have been created at least 6 months prior to them being considered a Community Link.

• Sites linked in this forum will need to have English as their main language, as we have an Alternate Languages Forum for non English websites.
  • The site must have some link with the topic of asexuality but it doesn't have to be the single theme.
  • The site must not be discriminatory towards any gender, creed, religion, nationality, ethnicity, disability and sexual and romantic identity and will be removed from the listing if that becomes the case.
  • The site must be free of destructive language, misrepresentation of asexuality, personal attacks towards their own members and/or AVEN members, identity policing (denying the identity of an individual or group based on behaviour, preference, or other criteria) and/or the breaching or the encouraging to breach of any laws. Again the link will be removed if that is the case.
  • If a site is found to not meet these requirements, it may be reconsidered 6 months after the first consideration.
  • Like 3

G0D
1 hour ago, .Lia said:

It's just...easier to say "Grep's site" than as-ns (I'm talking from a touch-typing perspective for me personally. The dash is out of the way and a pain in my ass, even if one label has more letters).

@Pramana is the president <grin> http://as-ns.net/villa/the-team But I do take your point. 

@Puck Our site meets those guide lines, and while there are some opinions that are expressed that may not align perfetly, the site it's self does fit the bill. I have said this before, but it is worth saying it again, and that is that AS-NS actually does better than AVEN in this respect, as AVEN often leaves the content that breaches it's rules in place, and while it disciples the user the content remains, where as AS-NS has removed content that is offensive. 

There were only a couple of instances where AS-NS users personally attacked AVEN members and these were actually started by people who were AVEN mods at the time. It really seems odd that AVEN insists other sites it links to have a higher standard than it's own however as far as I am aware AS-NS comply with all the guide lines more so than AVEN does. 

The site it's self lets people voice their own opinions and the rules are much more relaxed than AVEN. More so when people have voiced opinions that are dramatically discriminatory, then the rest of the users voice their displeasure. One member 3 months ago was hounded off the site due to his extreme sexist views.

I appreciate the discussion on what the rules mean, is probably for a different thread, but the whole point of AS-NS was to be a space where people could discuss things without the risk of the type of moderation AVEN is famous for. One would think that the result would be nasty, the reverse though is true. People seem to discuss things with way more cordiality, and less passively aggressively than here. My criticism with the language used to write the site specification is that it seems to be saying that sites have to have more heavy moderation than AVEN it's self has. It also is heavily subjective, what one persons "misinterpretation of asexuality" is another ones definition, the definition of asexuality is one that is discussed all the time, and is one persons view, or post on a forum count as a "misinterpretation"? 

AS-NS it's self has no view on anything at all, it's users have a very wide set of views, and senses of humour, some of which would not go down well here. That is fair enough. AVEN has every right to make it's self a safe space, etc. The only difference really, is that we don't need to write "TW" on things, or devote 60% of our writing to be an explanation of what we don't mean, so as people don't take things the wrong way. People don't click report on one another, they just write why it is they disagree with something. There are not competitions to try and get people kicked off, or cliques trying to claim the place as their own. 

The thing is that if individual posts are evidence or a site not complying with the rules, then Apositive and AVEN fail in to reach the standard set out. I guess we will see what happens. The fact is that AVEN serves it's purpose, AS-NS serves it's, both are primarily for asexual people to get together and interact, have fun, and learn. 

Janus DarkFox
7 hours ago, Puck said:

The site must be free of destructive language, misrepresentation of asexuality, personal attacks towards their own members and/or AVEN members, identity policing (denying the identity of an individual or group based on behaviour, preference, or other criteria) and/or the breaching or the encouraging to breach of any laws. Again the link will be removed if that is the case.

To the layperson, this is perhaps the one reason that AS-NS can appear to many like an Anti-AVEN website without delving deeper into AS-NS.

• Like 1

Serran

The 6 month date given was December, if I recall correctly. So, this matter is open to discussion again, as the timeline has passed as Lia said. 

• Like 2