New Zealand National Probability Survey – Asexual Self-Identification

Pramana

This is exciting as the first national probability survey to consider asexual self-identification, and because it is a longitudinal survey so the present paper represents the first instalment in a series:

"Abstract
Academic interest in asexuality has increased in recent years; however, there is yet to be a national probability study exploring the correlates of self-identifying as asexual. Here, we utilized data from the 2014/15 New Zealand Attitudes and Values Study. Past research has typically used attraction-based measures; however, we asked participants to describe their sexual orientation using a self-generated, open-ended item, and 0.4% (n = 44) self-identified as asexual. We then compared self-identified asexual participants with a heterosexual reference group (n = 11,822) across a large number of demographic, psychological, and health variables. Relative to heterosexuals, self-identified asexual participants were (1) more likely to be women, and (2) substantially less likely to be cisgender, (3) in a serious romantic relationship, or (4) a parent. No deleterious mental or physical health effects were associated with asexuality when compared to heterosexuality. This study provides the first attempt at measuring self-identification as asexual in a national sample and highlights core similarities and differences between those who identify as asexual and heterosexual."

The paper is publicly available: 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315733047_Asexual_Identity_in_a_New_Zealand_National_Sample_Demographics_Well-Being_and_Health

Thanks for the link. :cake:

49 minutes ago, Pramana said:

...Relative to heterosexuals, self-identified asexual participants were...(3) in a serious romantic relationship, or (4) a parent...

I'm most surprised by this, as AVEN's worldwide Census', with more various demographics, such as age (with more members in their teens and 20s) says otherwise; most aren't in serious romantic relationships, nor are most asexual members here parents.

35 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Thanks for the link. :cake:

I'm most surprised by this, as AVEN's worldwide Census', with more various demographics, such as age (with more members in their teens and 20s) says otherwise; most aren't in serious romantic relationships, nor are most asexual members here parents.

I think you might have read it wrong? The study found that asexuals were significantly less likely to be parents or in a relationship.

The abstract is poorly written on that point. Reading the article itself, they found that 15.9% of aces were partnered, compared to 76.8% of heterosexuals, and 22.7% of aces were parents, compared with 74.6% of heterosexuals. 

Nice study, especially with the focus on self-identified asexuals this time.

The lowish % of partnered asexuals can also be explained with the difficutly for us, self-identified asexuals, to find a suitable partner where we live.

Divide By Zero

The study results are interesting (although the abstract is poorly written and confusing). I wish more countries would do studies like this or include sexual orientation as a census question so that more data could be made available to get a better idea of what percentage of the population is asexual and what the gender breakdown is.

On 1/23/2018 at 2:07 AM, Nidwin said:

Nice study, especially with the focus on self-identified asexuals this time.

The lowish % of partnered asexuals can also be explained with the difficutly for us, self-identified asexuals, to find a suitable partner where we live.

Some asexuals (like me) are aromantic and do not want a relationship. I skimmed through the study and didn't see any mention of romantic orientation, which is disappointing.

Archived