Told a friend I'm non binary... didn't go well

Dean.

25 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

If your friends' sole reason for not being assholes is that you're not an asshole to them, that's honestly still pretty sketchy on their part.

My friends don't invalidate me because I don't invalidate them, I never said they aren't arseholes. 

11 hours ago, Philip027 said:

IMO yes. I had to with my family for my entire youth.

Yeah, because you pretty much had to if you didn't want to have a hard time with the people you must live with on a regular basis.

Regarding this: My family were not the homophobes, they were the gay people. I was the 7-year-old boy getting his head kicked in almost daily for being the son of "that dirty queer bitch". 

Hating people because they are different or disagree is ugly. 

My friends don't invalidate me because I don't invalidate them, I never said they aren't arseholes. 

You saying that your friends aren't assholes to you because you aren't an asshole to them carries the implication that normally they are assholes and they're just choosing to be nice to you.

Hating people because they are different or disagree is ugly. 

In my book, it depends how they are different.

Aroace...Artimus

Wow, I’m sorry to hear about that. But, maybe if you inform him a little more, give him links to videos and articles about gender identity, and just tell him you’re free to answer any questions, maybe, he’ll change. If he doesn’t however, just end the friendship. Friends are suppose to support you no matter what, and if he can’t do that, than, I’m sorry to say, but, you need to end it. But, just try to talk to him, since, no one should have to lose a friend.

• 3 months later...
Artsy Anvil

Wow, that must’ve been terrible. I’m really sorry that had to happen to you. And, I know it can be hard. I really want to tell people I’m non-binary and maverique, but, I don’t think anyone will be supportive and accepting. So, congrats on being so brave and telling your friend something so important like that. I’d suggest to offer him links to videos, websites, articles, etc. about being non-binary. Try to talking to him and let him ask questions and clear up any stereotypes and assumptions. Just try to talk to him and see where he is coming from. Hopefully this will get resolved.

Archived