Men and beards...

Acing It

What's that all about? I don't get it. Why would anyone want a dollop of hair stuck to their face?? :huh:

For me, it just gives me something to play with/fidget with when I'm board, plus since it's usually bellow 0 degrees fahrenheit out it's something warm to have. plus it keeps my friends who are homophobic and  transphobic and every other phobia the stereotypical white male has for people like me from guessing that I'm aro ace and non binary :P

As with a lot of other things humans do, to attract a mate. Plus some males pull of a beard really well I.e Xabi Alonso.

Because shaving every day is annoying. That also happens to be why I haven't gotten a haircut in the last two years. :P

Actually though, it's just... a choice. Much like how some people wear their hair long, or dye it different colours. The reasons for why someone chooses to style their hair a particular way are many and varied.

laziness towards shaving, or just for the look and possibilities.

swirl_of_blue

Beards comfort me. For some reason just seeing a person with a beard makes me feel safer and happier. I think it might be connected to my father always having been a source of comfort to me, and he has always had a full beard. I'm going to grow one as soon as I'll be able to as well.

A shard of glass

Reasons I have  beard:

1) laziness: shaving your face is difficult (due to the complex shape of your face compared to other areas of your body)

2) shaving is expensive: I'm not spending £10 a month so I can be ID'd everywhere I go.

3) it's really effective at keeping you warm: need I explain this?

4) it's not as uncomfortable as it looks ^_^

J. van Deijck

I have always wanted to have some facial hair. but I have so little of it that I will never have a real beard anyway.

18 minutes ago, Chibe90 said:

As with a lot of other things humans do, to attract a mate. Plus some males pull of a beard really well I.e Xabi Alonso.

That's the thing. I never got either of those. But, that may be unique to me.

16 minutes ago, Camicon said:

Because shaving every day is annoying. That also happens to be why I haven't gotten a haircut in the last two years. :P

Actually though, it's just... a choice. Much like how some people wear their hair long, or dye it different colours. The reasons for why someone chooses to style their hair a particular way are many and varied.

But... beards must get in the way sometimes, depending on how long or 'hairy' they are, like a soup sieve :D

5 minutes ago, Baggage_warrior said:

Reasons I have  beard:

1) laziness: shaving your face is both difficult (due to the complex shape of your face compared to other areas of your body)

2) shaving is expensive: I'm not spending £10 a month so I can be ID'd everywhere I go.

3) it's really effective at keeping you warm: need I explain this?

4) it's not as uncomfortable as it looks ^_^

I think number 4 is exactly why I don't get it. It looks really uncomfortable and it looks like it should take more effort and work to keep it neat, than shaving. Great answers by all, though.

5 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

I have always wanted to have some facial hair. but I have so little of it that I will never have a real beard anyway.

A bit like a female wanting bigger boobs I guess. I get that.

A shard of glass
1 minute ago, Acing It said:

I think number 4 is exactly why I don't get it. It looks really uncomfortable and it looks like it should take more effort and work to keep it neat, than shaving. Great answers by all, though.

Oh I didn't say anything about neat and tidy XD

1 minute ago, Baggage_warrior said:

Oh I didn't say anything about neat and tidy XD

Hahah You're going for the scruffy look?

A shard of glass
1 minute ago, Acing It said:

Hahah You're going for the scruffy look?

Of course ;)

Oh yes I do need to get out the beard trimmer when the mustache starts messing with my latte.  And there were times when my beard frightened small children.  I keep it rather short nowadays.

J. van Deijck
6 minutes ago, Acing It said:

A bit like a female wanting bigger boobs I guess. I get that.

I guess it's a pretty good comparison :o even though I don't really know how it is to be female :P

It depend. Sometimes I am just too lazy. Other times I just think it looks better with it, other tmes without it. 

I always grow mine out in December because it's cold and I work outside. It's like a full face wrap that I never forget to bring with me.

1 minute ago, Nevyn said:

I always grow mine out in December because it's cold and I work outside. It's like a full face wrap that I never forget to bring with me.

I also find it funny when it is covered in ice or frost :P

Mine always feels weird when it gets frosted. Like its all sticking straight out at 90°.

beards are the best. i would grow one if i could. idk it's just something about them that i really like.

Yeah it do :P But it is actually quite good for warming your face. If you have 2cm of beard (0.4 inches) you get enough air between the cold air and your face to actually heat up your chins and cheeks :P And since those are areas that are vulnerable to freezing..

I liked the feel of stubble if I left shaving a bit too long so decided eventually that I'll just grow it out a wee bit. Because I keep mine fairly short (I trim it about once a week to about 3.5mm so it stays fairly short while not looking like I'm being lazy and not shaving at all). Ironically It takes more time to trim (about 20 minutes or over) minutes than to clean shave it (no more than 10 minutes) but it makes up both in cost (got a trimmer for about £30 as a one off) and overall time per week (Every day or 2 compared to a week). Pck of 4 razors for me is £11. That would be about a month worth of shaving. Using it for edge work when I trim, they'll last a lot longer.

Lastly, a lot less chances of cutting yourself by mistake :) 

It makes me look better! That's how I feel at least.

I'd be happy to not have any facial hair - shaving is a pain, but I don't like having a beard either (although I did have one for a long time when I was younger - it's less upkeep than daily shaving). Permanent removal would be ideal, but it's costly and takes a lot of work to get to that point. So I go the easy/lazy route and shave on days when I'm going out of the house or when I really get tired of stubble.

I hardly have time to even check how I look in the mirror or I just forget. The beard's there because I forget to kill it and because it also serves a purpose in winter and even summer. I often work outside no matter the temperature. At -30, working outside for a few hours ices over your face. Having a beard prevents icing over on the lower section of my face and helps keep things warm. In the summer, it keeps the bugs away since they can't get to skin there.

3 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'd be happy to not have any facial hair - shaving is a pain, but I don't like having a beard either (although I did have one for a long time when I was younger - it's less upkeep than daily shaving). Permanent removal would be ideal, but it's costly and takes a lot of work to get to that point. So I go the easy/lazy route and shave on days when I'm going out of the house or when I really get tired of stubble.

Don't like beards, but don't like shaving

If i'm not going out I wont shave

I unfortunately can't grow a beard, as I'd get ingrown hairs. I prefer just keeping my face shaved, and stick with that.

I however, can understand why some men grow beards. I know several guys who do and put as much effort in maintaining their beards, as I do keeping my clean cut look.

I.E Scented oils, moisturizers, and regularly keeping them even and thoroughly combed and maintained.

I think a well maintained bear if you can grow one, can look great if its done well.

It otherwise can make one look disheveled and lazy otherwise.

I know people who grow them due to religion, but for the most part--its the look and low maintenance of it. Kind of like why I grew out a major afro in high school.

I ended up getting it braided, to avoid scaring away potential employers.

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I unfortunately can't grow a beard, as I'd get ingrown hairs. I prefer just keeping my face shaved, and stick with that.

I know people who grow them due to religion, but for the most part--its the look and low maintenance of it. Kind of like why I grew out a major afro in high school.

I ended up getting it braided, to avoid scaring away potential employers.

So I'm thinking this through, I can't grow an afro and don't look good with long hair braided or not (bald spot ruins the effect)

But I digress, the discussion is beards, help me out...  Come to think of it my beard WAS a bit like an afro when it was scaring small children... Maybe if I'd have braided my beard... Are babies viewing the world upside down... Can employers be babies... Did I have that beard because I was unemployed or was I unemployed because I had that beard...???  Who killed Colonel Mustard...???  Was it in the kitchen...?? What is pi, really, and if it were food, wouldn't it taste wonderful...??

The unexamined life...

Archived