Why do People Keep Putting Prefixes in Front of Their Gender?

nate-1234

1 minute ago, Jayce said:

Did it ever occur to you that trans folks call themselves trans too? Why is it such a bad thing to call yourself trans?

I am talking about people who do not identify with that label and are having it pushed upon them by others.

But for peoples sex that is changed why do they need tell others unimportant things of the past?

Because it isn't unimportant to them?

Whether you like it or not, your past experiences with the sex you had (or still have) shaped what you are now, even if you may have been at odds with it.

8 hours ago, nate-1234 said:

I am talking about people who do not identify with that label and are having it pushed upon them by others.

I am under the impression people can decide for themselves what they’d like to prefer to call themselves.If they decide to have it pushed upon them by others then that’s their choice, not the ones who “push it on them”.

If you are speaking about nonbinary/ transfolks asking cisgendered folks to use their preferred pronouns while they explain why it’s so important to them then it doesn’t hurt at all to abide by their wishes, or do you want to tell me a guy would approve it if others would start calling him ma’am instead?  or a lady being called Sir? I don’t think so.That’s not pushing, that’s reminding others courtesy is a common virtue.

20 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Because it isn't unimportant to them?

Whether you like it or not, your past experiences with the sex you had (or still have) shaped what you are now, even if you may have been at odds with it.

How can you be so sure. How can you speak for all people like that?

Because to claim otherwise is sheer ignorance.  Everyone and everything is shaped by their past experiences, whether for better or worse, whether they're aware of it or care to admit it.  The only reason you are here right now, in your current state and condition, is because of events that happened previously.  To say otherwise is you basically rejecting cause and effect, which flies in the face of how pretty much everything in the world works.

999papercranes
5 hours ago, nate-1234 said:

I just hate being tied to my past myself, probably a few years ago is not me now. I am always evolving and shedding old skin. I do not like to hoard old skin as it has served its purpose and now it's done, but I do understand where you are coming from.

I think you’re misunderstanding here... not everyone wants to get rid of their past experiences. Just because you may like to be unburdened by your past self doesn’t mean other people want to forget what they’ve gone through. Most people who adopt the trans label in addition their gender do so because they want people to know about their past experiences and maybe connect with people over them. People can use these labels/prefixes to help those who are struggling with their own identity. For example, a man on YouTube who is by all means “fully transitioned”- has had all of the surgeries and hormones he wishes- may choose to still identify as trans because then he can inform others about his past experiences. He can help other young kids who were once like him. A cis man does not have experience with binding, packing, dysphoria, etc. Maybe some people don’t want to hold onto the past after they’ve deemed themselves fully transitioned, but I know plenty who use that identity as a way to educate and inform other people- trans activists, professors, leaders of LGBT groups, etc. Not everyone wants to forget what they’ve been through. Even if the past is not important to you, it is to them.  

Just Somebody
8 hours ago, nate-1234 said:

I just hate being tied to my past myself, probably a few years ago is not me now. I am always evolving and shedding old skin. I do not like to hoard old skin as it has served its purpose and now it's done, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Acceptance and forgiveness are the key to moving on.

trigger warning:

I used to self harm when I was younger,  today I understand "it somehow made sense" to my past self, so i could actually forgive me. Today I find it nonsensical but oh well... it's not worth to cry for dripped milk.

It also helped to think that "that's what life wanted me to do", I actually learned from experiencing it.

Some people when they've fully transitioned no longer call themselves trans, and that's okay. I've heard things like "Male with a trans history" before in some circles, where transition and dysphoria become such a distant part of their past that it's of little concern to their daily life beyond administering their own hormones.

Some people never end up feeling that way though, and the trans label often acts as a way to contextualize experiences/feelings as well as a way to connect with communities of people with similar experiences. And that's okay too. (Even though I'm generally cis-passing, I still experience dysphoria, so I get enough reminders that I'm trans that I don't need to rely on memory to know that.)

If someone is imposing a label on someone else, insisting that a person is lying unless they share their gender/orientation upfront, then that's shitty. However, if someone feels more comfortable sharing these things upfront and actively chooses to, then where's the harm in that?

All the little Lights
On 18. Januar 2018 at 10:51 PM, Just Somebody said:

Srly, let's not be so radical,  even though I'm nb too,  I agree that our movement is unecessarily throwing every gender-non-conforming boys and girls under the Trans bus and I'm pretty sure these people can regret later bc misinformation.

Well, I didn't mean to tell someone else's gender (because obviously I can't). I just know that I would have found it really helpful to know earlier that there's the possibility to be an enby. Also, I don't think it's unhealthy for people to think about the fact weather they are cis or not, no matter where they end up later:-)

I think the misinformation part is rather the other way around, that we don't have enough information about non-binary identities.

Possibly selection bias. 

For example a person who does not identify themselves with prefixes like AxAB and Trans* wouldn't be noticed in the selection because they wouldn't be selected to observe.

So you're sample would be based on only the people that express their identity as being variant, which would create a bias that could appear to be most or all people with a transgender identity have the common attribute as identifying as trans. The observation inherently produces false positives. 

First, being trans just means someone's gender doesn't match the one assigned at birth. It doesn't mean they're 'transitioning' to anything. Trans people have different issues that relate to them than cis people. So, they might use afab or amab. It also tells people a little of that person's history/lived experience. They didn't get to be treated like most of their cis counterparts throughout a good chunk of their lives. I think it's good to see where the person's coming from, too.

Another side of this are non-binary people. I'm agender. So, it's not like there's a cis equivalent for me. If I say I'm afab, people have an idea of how I was raised/brought up. Doesn't mean I actually am a woman. Plus, not having a gender, what point would I transition to? Like, trans men or trans women often have a specific 'target'. I did recently realize I have gender dysphoria, and when I start transitioning there wouldn't be a clearly defined target for me. I don't know if anyone ever 'completes' transitioning. Some people might embrace their transness, too. So, as a nod to it they might say afab or amab. 

Archived