How to Collect Data?

Ace Of Bass

Been trying to learn more about asexuality and there is just a glaring lack of data regarding it. Sexologist can write up as many papers as they want on what they think asexual people do, but I would like to see more actual numbers…For instance, I’d been trying to find demographics break downs for the U.S. because people say the ace community is a bunch of white teenagers…no such data set. I’d run cross stories of people having their asexuality pathologized by actual doctors, so I wanted to know how frequently this sort of thing happens …no data. ugh.

I’m certainly not the most qualified person to head a research project of this sort, but if if we could get this off the ground where might we start?

What sort of survey strategies have been used so far? 

If you want to do a real, official study that could be published and cited, maybe talk to the gender studies or psychology department at a college or university? They might know how to do research about sexual orientations.

There's a way to make surveys on AVEN. I don't know how, and the results wouldn't be as reliable as a full-on scientific study. That said, it could still be useful if people you know are making assumptions about ace people. For example, you could make a survey about the race and age of AVEN members and show the results to someone who says ace people are all white teenagers.

There has been a fair amount of data collected from asexuals in online communities, but little from asexuals outside of those spaces. For the demographics of asexuals in online spaces, the reports from the community censuses represent by far the largest sample sizes:

https://asexualcensus.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/2014censuspreliminaryreport.pdf
https://asexualcensus.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/2015_ace_census_summary_report.pdf

For outside demographics, we're limited to the British NATSAL-1 and NATSAL-2 national probability surveys, as well as the 2014/15 New Zealand Attitudes and Values Study. 
If you're interested in the USA specifically, there is one paper based on the 2002 NSFG national probability survey, but unfortunately the methodology is shaky because this survey didn't ask about asexuality or lack of sexual attraction specifically (so the authors triangulate from answers to other questions to determine people who are probably asexual). https://www.demographic-research.org/volumes/vol23/18/23-18.pdf

So how might one collect data outside of the ace community?

Self identification would only be so useful since not everyone knows what asexuality is...maybe provide some descriptions of asexuality and allow people to indicate whether or not those apply to them? 

11 minutes ago, Ace Of Bass said:

So how might one collect data outside of the ace community?

Self identification would only be so useful since not everyone knows what asexuality is...maybe provide some descriptions of asexuality and allow people to indicate whether or not those apply to them?

The Asexuality Identification Scale (AIS) has been developed for this purpose.

http://med-fom-brotto.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2015/03/Yule-Brotto-Gorzalka-2015-A-validated-measure-of-no-sexual-attraction-The-Asexuality-Identification-Scale-1.pdf

1 minute ago, Pramana said:

cool cool cool

imma look into this

I'm going to do more research, but I'm currently working on a list of tentative survey questions.

What "asexual phenomena" are yall curious about? 

I've been unable to find any data regarding sexual aromantics, so that would be an interesting question. Another topic that might be worth considering is the level of involvement in asexual communities, so questions about whether people participate in asexual forum sites, use asexual dating sites, attend asexual meet-ups, etc.

• 2 months later...

Maybe look at the theorised correlation between genderqueer identities and asexuality and see if there really is something significant there? Could be interesting to know.

Archived