Films I wish they would ban

6 hours ago, E is for E said:

Just a general comment.

While I'm at it the true way to bury a film is not through banning but by through ignoring it. If a content creator sets out to make some horrific film, then its likely they'll expect backlash and controversy, and may even aim to achieve it. Mass outcries of "ban this!" only validates said creators and inspires others, turning the very wheel banning aims to prevent from spinning. What absolutely crushes a film is silence. Nobody goes to see it, nobody talks about it, and it fades right into obscurity as if it were never there to begin with. If the public shows interest and activity with a film, either negative or positive, the wheel turns.

That's what North Korea should have done with The Interview. If they hadn't tried to hack Sony and destroy it no-one would have gone to see it. Best thing that happened to that movie, which was pretty much 12 year old potty humor.

3 hours ago, Nevyn said:

That's what North Korea should have done with The Interview. If they hadn't tried to hack Sony and destroy it no-one would have gone to see it. Best thing that happened to that movie, which was pretty much 12 year old potty humor.

Can confirm that the only reason I saw it was because of the hack, wasn't my kind of film at all but I really wanted to see what had them so upset over it.

13 hours ago, E is for E said:

Just a general comment.

While I'm at it the true way to bury a film is not through banning but by through ignoring it. If a content creator sets out to make some horrific film, then its likely they'll expect backlash and controversy, and may even aim to achieve it. Mass outcries of "ban this!" only validates said creators and inspires others, turning the very wheel banning aims to prevent from spinning. What absolutely crushes a film is silence. Nobody goes to see it, nobody talks about it, and it fades right into obscurity as if it were never there to begin with. If the public shows interest and activity with a film, either negative or positive, the wheel turns.

WARNING This comment will be TMI for some people as I am going to discuss events that happen in some specific movies but if you don't like graphic things don't read!! If you like bizarre and very graphic horror movies though you might find some things you haven't seen here!

I'm more of the opinion that if no one was hurt then 1) it shouldn't be banned and 2) I don't even think it should try to be hidden or 'lost' through silence. Using Serbian Film as an example, there are people who absolutely love that movie and think it's 'a creative and fascinating look into horrifying madness', things like that. Hey maybe some pedos even get off to it and that can help them control their urges or stops them seeking out actual films where children were harmed, great. Anyway what I'm saying is, there will always be people who enjoy a film and no matter how much some people hate it, there will be others who enjoy it and they should be allowed to without having restricted access because 'some people don't like what happens in it and want it banned'.

You're totally right though, more people are going to seek Serbian Film out just because it's banned, there is quite a novelty in watching a banned film. There's a couple of movies I really enjoyed with necrophilia in (one a where a priest has sex with the dead body of a woman murdered in an insane asylum - that's a BRILLIANT film called Quills, and one where a group of young men find a female zombie tied to a bed and rape her the entire movie - interesting and strange concept! That one's called Dead Girl) Anyway if those movies were banned a lot of people would have sought them out just to see why they're banned, but as they're not banned I bet most people have literally never heard of them.. they just don't really get talked anout so no one is aware of their existence (even though the first one has some uber famous actors in, including Kate Winslet, Geoffery Rush, and Jaoquin Pheonix - not sure about the spelling there haha). Or hey, there's a British one called The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover with Helen Mirren in where it shows an entire dead body being prepared for a feast and shows them cannibalizing parts of it. Or one called The Antichrist with Willem Dafoe in where a woman slices her own genitals off and it shows it in graphic detail.. still not banned as far as I know :o and very few people know about these films despite the famous actors, just because they're not banned!!! So yeah, you're definitely right about that. If they're not banned very few people know about them, even if they're good movies - Quills is one of my favourite movies! Speaking of Quills, one of the characters in that is the Marquis De Sade (top points if you know who he is) and they actually made a movie of one of his books that as far as I know, is banned in many countries and is called 120 Days of Sodom, many people put that right up there with Serbian Film.. let's just say it's a whole film about the rape and torture of minors :o it was voted the 65th scariest movie ever made apparently haha - makes me want to find out what the other 64 are because that one is pretty extreme.

End TMI

Anyway yeah my opinion is that a lot of these films are actually pretty interesting and you actually have you think during them, and your boundaries are challenged etc.. some of them even leave a permanent mark on your psyche.. they also give you a glimpse of the true depravity it humanity instead of some sterilized version of it intended to dumb you down and make you blind to the ways the world really works. That in my opinion is way better than some mindless nonsense like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer, or many of the other more mainstream horror films - those really should be banned because they're teaching people how to be so stupid that you get murdered lol! (Joking about banning them, but it's true that many mainstream horror films  are supremely dumb movies that rely solely on the utter stupidity of all the characters to keep the plot going).

@FictoVore. Salo might be the famously banned 120 Days of Sodom movie(?) Pasolini's last film, it was a loose adaptation, still banned in many countries.

I made a copy of VHS from my school library way back when but still haven't watched it.

I own Quills on DVD. ;) 

2 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

WARNING This comment will be TMI for some people as I am going to discuss events that happen in some specific movies but if you don't like graphic things don't read!! If you like bizarre and very graphic horror movies though you might find some things you haven't seen here!

I'm more of the opinion that if no one was hurt then 1) it shouldn't be banned and 2) I don't even think it should try to be hidden or 'lost' through silence. Using Serbian Film as an example, there are people who absolutely love that movie and think it's 'a creative and fascinating look into horrifying madness', things like that. Hey maybe some pedos even get off to it and that can help them control their urges or stops them seeking out actual films where children were harmed, great. Anyway what I'm saying is, there will always be people who enjoy a film and no matter how much some people hate it, there will be others who enjoy it and they should be allowed to without having restricted access because 'some people don't like what happens in it and want it banned'.

You're totally right though, more people are going to seek Serbian Film out just because it's banned, there is quite a novelty in watching a banned film. There's a couple of movies I really enjoyed with necrophilia in (one a where a priest has sex with the dead body of a woman murdered in an insane asylum - that's a BRILLIANT film called Quills, and one where a group of young men find a female zombie tied to a bed and rape her the entire movie - interesting and strange concept! That one's called Dead Girl) Anyway if those movies were banned a lot of people would have sought them out just to see why they're banned, but as they're not banned I bet most people have literally never heard of them.. they just don't really get talked anout so no one is aware of their existence (even though the first one has some uber famous actors in, including Kate Winslet, Geoffery Rush, and Jaoquin Pheonix - not sure about the spelling there haha). Or hey, there's a British one called The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover with Helen Mirren in where it shows an entire dead body being prepared for a feast and shows them cannibalizing parts of it. Or one called The Antichrist with Willem Dafoe in where a woman slices her own genitals off and it shows it in graphic detail.. still not banned as far as I know :o and very few people know about these films despite the famous actors, just because they're not banned!!! So yeah, you're definitely right about that. If they're not banned very few people know about them, even if they're good movies - Quills is one of my favourite movies! Speaking of Quills, one of the characters in that is the Marquis De Sade (top points if you know who he is) and they actually made a movie of one of his books that as far as I know, is banned in many countries and is called 120 Days of Sodom, many people put that right up there with Serbian Film.. let's just say it's a whole film about the rape and torture of minors :o it was voted the 65th scariest movie ever made apparently haha - makes me want to find out what the other 64 are because that one is pretty extreme.

End TMI

Anyway yeah my opinion is that a lot of these films are actually pretty interesting and you actually have you think during them, and your boundaries are challenged etc.. some of them even leave a permanent mark on your psyche.. they also give you a glimpse of the true depravity it humanity instead of some sterilized version of it intended to dumb you down and make you blind to the ways the world really works. That in my opinion is way better than some mindless nonsense like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer, or many of the other more mainstream horror films - those really should be banned because they're teaching people how to be so stupid that you get murdered lol! (Joking about banning them, but it's true that many mainstream horror films  are supremely dumb movies that rely solely on the utter stupidity of all the characters to keep the plot going).

I was never into the idea of banning either. I'm of the opinion that it should be left to the viewer to decide whether they want to see something. Ultimately it's the viewers that decide the legacy of a movie, whether it becomes famous and well known, or only something that gathers a cult following or dissappears completely. The playing field is set evenly that way. The more restrictions that are set on things, even mundane things, the more control that can be exerted over a population. People, both the movie director and the viewer should be allowed the freedom to choose their course, and either suffer or enjoy the consequences accordingly.

All films that have a terrible incomplete ending that then have the audacity to include several paragraphs at the end of the film summarizing the conclusion or fate of the characters that they were too lazy to shoot.

Romantic comedies and spoofs are the ones I would ban.

Prufrock, but like, worse

I know it isn't a movie, but The Big Bang Theory needs to go away. That show fucked me up.

In fact, ban all prime time TV except Jeopardy.

On 18/1/2018 at 1:30 PM, J. Alfred Prufrock said:

I know it isn't a movie, but The Big Bang Theory needs to go away. That show fucked me up.

In fact, ban all prime time TV except Jeopardy.

Oh, may I ask why? :0

Prufrock, but like, worse
15 hours ago, she_who_counted said:

Oh, may I ask why? :0

It’s dumb. A lot of shows depict adult relationships having a middle-school understanding of how to interact and what makes humans tick. Since I didn’t really have a model from real life (my parents don’t count because at the time I was going through a “Mom doesn’t understand” phase) I thought actual human interaction and relationships worked like it does in TBBT. I am only recently (e.g. as of maybe a month ago) beginning to cut away these caked-on layers of received assumptions that have contributed heavily to my bitter and misanthropic outlook.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
DazzlingGirl16

I wish they would ban the "50 Shades" series and "A Serbian Film" because the former has rape and the latter has child abuse

Part of growing up is learning to accept that there are things which other people like but you don't. If you don't like it, don't watch it. It's that simple.

(General you here)

• 2 months later...
J. van Deijck

A Serbian Film :mellow:

Archived