• Announcements

Princess Merida

Films I wish they would ban

Recommended Posts

Princess Merida

There are some truly sick movies I personally wish would be banned. I'm thinking about the Saw films in particular. What sort of person thinks up such a story? The situations they place characters in those films are just evil. There are already some very messed up people out there that might just take inspiration from what they see. At the same time, the rest of us are becoming used to watching terrible things and I don't think that's a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rynn

I don't think any movies should be banned. That would limit people's right to free speech. Fortunately, we also have the right to pick and choose what we watch, so we don't have to watch anything if we don't want to. :) Horror movies in general are pretty sick. But most people who like horror movies watch them for that reason. It helps create an adrenaline rush, I guess. I personally don't find the Saw movies to be too terrible, among the movies I've seen. (I don't know what that says about me? Haha. To be fair, though, the only way I watch movies like those is if other people put them on. I'm not really into horror movies myself.)

 

But I do agree that it's scary that people might take inspiration from such things. Like the Slender Man case, for example. I think what's more important is that parents monitor what their kids watch from an early age. And if they do let their kids watch horror movies, that they talk to them about the difference between fiction and reality, and what's right and wrong.

 

On a side note, I know plenty of people who watch horror movies all the time and wouldn't do any of those things in real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
divided_sky

Yeah, gonna have to come down hard on the side of not banning things just because you don't like them

 

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
divided_sky

I don't like horror and thought the Saw movies looked fucking awful. What did I do? I didn't watch them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NoLongerActive1234

I definitely don't think movies should be banned for real  however horror movies typically aren't my thing  (Saw...urgh). I'd be glad to never have seen the Ali G Indahouse movie though. x)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arokani

I'm not sure banning things helps, the people who really want to see sick things will find a way and I feel it's better they watch fiction than reality to get their kick.

 

However, I do think we could help people deal with things that affect them and recognize the possible side effects of numbing yourself to such content. Or at least I think it's important to know why you like shocking or disgusting stuff, I think it's normal to an extend where you feel so numb by everything horrible you see and hear about everyday (on the news, for example) that you want to get a reaction from yourself. I like reading shocking material myself, but reading is very different from seeing.

 

"A Serbian Film" is one of the most disgusting plots I've read (haven't seen, thank god) and I don't recommend reading it for the faint of heart or for my worst enemy. It was banned in multiple countries, like some other horror films have, but you can still find it from somewhere, I'm sure. Even in its case I don't think banning would do much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gloomy

None, since I'm against censorship. Just from reading the Wikipedia summary of God's Not Dead I can tell that it's intellectually dishonest and fallacious, but I still support the rights of other people to watch it if they want to, as well as the rights of the filmmakers to make the film. One of these days I actually wouldn't mind having a few drinks and watching it just for the lolz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jayce

I don’t think any movies should be banned.

Just because i hate certain movies doesn’t mean others can’t enjoy them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone

Hmm, I think films that should be banned are the ones that in themselves are crimes - violence, rape, degradation, exploitation, etc. (Non-consensual, of course.)

 

Movies that depict violence but don't violate human rights or health and safety codes in the process of filming those... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's their business venture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nevyn

Two drinks is what I did with Justice League 2017. I don't agree with censorship but maybe we could slow Zack Synder and Michael Bay down a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
divided_sky
3 minutes ago, Nevyn said:

Two drinks is what I did with Justice League 2017. I don't agree with censorship but maybe we could slow Zack Synder and Michael Bay down a little.

You know what, I changed my mind. Ban Michael Bay. He filmed one (two?) of those stupid Transformer movies in Chicago, ugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Always looking for answers

Hmm well... To be honest I don't think you solve the problem of sick people by banning movies. The movies aren't real (in contrast to snuff movies which are and should be banned) and people who choose to watch them know this. It's a way to express creativity, even though people might disagree with this kind of creativity, no one gets hurt. This is something that can't be said of porn, by the way.

The statement reminds me of a discussion that's currently being held in the country where I live, where crime investigators think it's a bad idea to use a VIRTUAL created child (this is a 3d drawing, no real children are used!!!) to lure in child molesters on the internet because they think they make the problem worse by contributing to the offer of 'children' to predators on the web. In my opinion, using a virtual person is the best way to lure them in because no one gets harmed and the 3D drawing serves its purpose. 

Banning only goes as far as the police can see though. Search the darkweb and you'll find everything banned and the problem is that it's pretty hard to find the people scrolling through those pages because police can't get in. Snuff still exists on the darkweb. Just like other forms of torture. People will always find a way to bypass certain rules and I fear that the more we censor, the more real victims we're gonna get.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew001

I'm against censorship, especially when it comes down to "you can't say that because it may cause offence"

 

So what?

Be offended 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alejandrogynous

Should we also ban books on subject matters that you don't agree with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lei_101
1 hour ago, Princess Merida said:

There are some truly sick movies I personally wish would be banned. I'm thinking about the Saw films in particular. What sort of person thinks up such a story? The situations they place characters in those films are just evil. There are already some very messed up people out there that might just take inspiration from what they see. At the same time, the rest of us are becoming used to watching terrible things and I don't think that's a good thing.

Sorry I am a bit lazy to read all the replies but don't know if anyone has mentioned it but some people have taken inspiration from those movies. Copy cat killers and some kids even were planning out to create saw but the mother found out and I think they went to prison or a mad house. I totally get where you are coming from. I don't mind like ghosts and stuff but serial killers and real things that can happen in life that inspires people like that should not be allowed. There was this horror called centipede and I never watched but the trailer truly made me vomit and the second and third film in the trilogy show how the first movie inspires people and ever since then I am very anti serial killers and life or death game horror movies. Even the purge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serran

If someone wants to kill, they will do it. They don't need a movie for inspiration. We've had some truly sick and twisted serial killers well before film even existed. Will they maybe copy a movie as an idea in how to do it? Sure. But, if they have the drive to do it, they're going to do it in their own way, with or without something giving them ideas on the methods.

 

Also, to truly stop all inspiration for killing, we'd have to ban any movie that had violence. And any literature that has violence. And history books that depict violence. Etc, etc. 

 

Personally, horror movies don't disturb me. It's fake violence and I am well aware of it. Though, if you kill an animal in something? I don't like it. Go figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
podsnap

I can't count how many movies I've watched that have at least one scene where an adult slaps a child across the face. I cringe every time I see it. I don't react, as a viewer, to it any differently than if you included a scene where a woman is struck by a male romantic partner.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Always looking for answers
22 minutes ago, Lei_101 said:

Sorry I am a bit lazy to read all the replies but don't know if anyone has mentioned it but some people have taken inspiration from those movies. Copy cat killers and some kids even were planning out to create saw but the mother found out and I think they went to prison or a mad house. I totally get where you are coming from. I don't mind like ghosts and stuff but serial killers and real things that can happen in life that inspires people like that should not be allowed.   

Just out of curiosity: does this mean we should also ban all news? Papers? Podcasts? Documentaries? Scientific articles etc?

I mean, I get that the wrong kind of people get inspired by horrormovies, but sometimes it's the other way around. Serial killers like Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer excisted and they killed because the were psychopaths. We made documentaries and movies so we could learn from their sick behaviour. 

 

Some people are dangerous. Some people will kill or do even worse. We can't prevent that from happening even if we banned all forms of violence in the media. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Antihero.

Damn, you would have definitely hated me as a teenager because I consumed movies like ‘Saw’ as if someone would pay me money for it :D I watched so many horror and splatter movies that I stopped watching them completely at one point because they started to just bore the living shit out of me. I can spoil such movies before I’ve even watched them x’D 

 

On a more serious note, your wish to ban movies like ‘Saw’ goes against freedom of art and freedom of expression and I am vigorously opposed to  the banning of movies, books, paintings, music or whatever. Legally banning art should never happen in a free society, it’s a giant step towards fascism.
There are definitely works that I don’t like or find gross maybe even reprehensible and that I would definitely not call art but I would never advocate for legally forbidding them or having the state officially confiscate or destroy them. I actually hope that you don’t really mean that the state should outlaw the ‘Saw’ movies and haven't thought this through completely! If you don’t like them don’t watch them, simple as that.  No one forces you to watch a movie that you hate. I am not watching them anymore either because they bore me and make me fall asleep from boredom.

 

1 hour ago, Princess Merida said:

There are already some very messed up people out there that might just take inspiration from what they see. At the same time, the rest of us are becoming used to watching terrible things and I don't think that's a good thing.

Not a good argument in my opinion. Potentially and theoretically everything could inspire an insane person somewhere on this planet to do insane shit no matter what it is. Should we ban just everything that someone might misinterpret and that makes people think their thoughts and have the government create things and determine what is “safe” and not dangerous for us to see and what isn't instead because there are insane people on this planet who do insane horrible shit? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lei_101
2 minutes ago, Always looking for answers said:

Just out of curiosity: does this mean we should also ban all news? Papers? Podcasts? Documentaries? Scientific articles etc?

I mean, I get that the wrong kind of people get inspired by horrormovies, but sometimes it's the other way around. Serial killers like Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer excisted and they killed because the were psychopaths. We made documentaries and movies so we could learn from their sick behaviour. 

 

Some people are dangerous. Some people will kill or do even worse. We can't prevent that from happening even if we banned all forms of violence in the media. 

 

I get where you are coming from but for me to think the kid in my class may take revenge on me by putting me in a saw scenario just cause I refused to let him use my pencil. I'd rather die a quick death by slit throat then be put through such nightmare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Telecaster68
1 hour ago, divided_sky said:

You know what, I changed my mind. Ban Michael Bay. He filmed one (two?) of those stupid Transformer movies in Chicago, ugh

The films or Bay himself? I'd be happy with either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serran
8 minutes ago, Lei_101 said:

I get where you are coming from but for me to think the kid in my class may take revenge on me by putting me in a saw scenario just cause I refused to let him use my pencil. I'd rather die a quick death by slit throat then be put through such nightmare. 

My mother is interested in serial killers. She actually used to want to become a criminal psychologist, focusing on homicide. So, growing up, I learned a lot of serial killers and their methods. And, I assure you, people come up with a lot worse than Saw all on their own, without media to help them out. Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say Saw was probably inspired by some of the killers who designed such elaborate games for their victims throughout history. 

 

The thing we need is better mental health care and it being more available, so people who do feel these urges but don't want to kill, or families that feel their child may be going down that path, can get the help they need before it reaches that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Always looking for answers
14 minutes ago, Lei_101 said:

I get where you are coming from but for me to think the kid in my class may take revenge on me by putting me in a saw scenario just cause I refused to let him use my pencil. I'd rather die a quick death by slit throat then be put through such nightmare. 

I don't thinks this is how it works, but I respect your opinion. It's almost the same reason why I was so pissed at the series 13 Reasons Why, because I think it sent the message to teenagers that suicide is okay if you're motive is revenge. I still don't think the series should be banned, but I do think it should be criticized a lot more and all grown up should tell teenagers that suicide is not the best way to solve your problems. Same goes for the unhealthy relationship between Bella en Edward in Twilight. 

I think my biggest problem with most movies is that we tend to romanticize a lot of unhealthy behaviour. If we should think about banning movies with physical violence because it might bring some disturbed human being to ideas, we should rewatch every movie ever made and also ban everything that's emotionaly or psychologically violent because that might also cause people to get weird ideas about how to treat people. Not a lot of movies would 'survive' the ban, I fear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nowhere Girl

I don't think that they should be banned, but I absolutely hate horror movies. I'm TERRIFIED of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lei_101
3 minutes ago, Serran said:

My mother is interested in serial killers. She actually used to want to become a criminal psychologist, focusing on homicide. So, growing up, I learned a lot of serial killers and their methods. And, I assure you, people come up with a lot worse than Saw all on their own, without media to help them out. Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say Saw was probably inspired by some of the killers who designed such elaborate games for their victims throughout history. 

 

The thing we need is better mental health care and it being more available, so people who do feel these urges but don't want to kill, or families that feel their child may be going down that path, can get the help they need before it reaches that point. 

I know I took also an interest in and did a lot of research and books and spoke to people. Its just how I feel about death games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Always looking for answers
4 minutes ago, Serran said:

The thing we need is better mental health care and it being more available, so people who do feel these urges but don't want to kill, or families that feel their child may be going down that path, can get the help they need before it reaches that point. 

I couldn't agree more! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lei_101
2 minutes ago, Always looking for answers said:

I don't thinks this is how it works, but I respect your opinion. It's almost the same reason why I was so pissed at the series 13 Reasons Why, because I think it sent the message to teenagers that suicide is okay if you're motive is revenge. I still don't think the series should be banned, but I do think it should be criticized a lot more and all grown up should tell teenagers that suicide is not the best way to solve your problems. Same goes for the unhealthy relationship between Bella en Edward in Twilight. 

I think my biggest problem with most movies is that we tend to romanticize a lot of unhealthy behaviour. If we should think about banning movies with physical violence because it might bring some disturbed human being to ideas, we should rewatch every movie ever made and also ban everything that's emotionaly of psychologically violent because that might also cause people to get weird ideas about how to treat people. Not a lot of movies would 'survive' the ban, I fear...

Thank you for your respect and I fully agree on 13 reasons why and twilight with your opinion. I understand where you are coming from totally its just I have dealt with a lot of unstable people so for me death games are scarier then IT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
borkfork

I wish things romantic plots were more realistic and less unhealthy, but then no one would watch them.

 

The doucheboat of your dreams was there all along! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
divided_sky
5 minutes ago, borkfork said:

I wish things romantic plots were more realistic and less unhealthy, but then no one would watch them.

 

The doucheboat of your dreams was there all along! 

Ban doucheboats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tarfeather
2 hours ago, Princess Merida said:

At the same time, the rest of us are becoming used to watching terrible things and I don't think that's a good thing.

In my opinion that's almost irrelevant, when you consider the fact that we are all becoming so used to actual real terrible things happening in the world that it doesn't bother us anymore. People not bothered by watching a Saw movie? OK. People not bothered by millions of real life people literally being at risk of starvation? I have no words for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now