Sciencey Aces

alicio

slytherinintj13

This is the kind of thing I have been looking for! Yay; go science!

Miss_Bookworm

Hey, do any of you guys (If you're in high school) do Science Olympiad? I'm competing for it tomorrow.

slytherinintj13

I'm a senior in high school, and I'm not in it this year due to other things, but I have done it before and it's so fun! I did the robotics stuff and some chemistry/physics too :)

✿ Camelia ✿

I double Skycaptain  's suggestion (missed few replies in the middle so not sure if someone already said this)..

Anyone interested in astronomy try seeking out an observatory near your area. It's typical to have public access hours, like I don't know on one/two days per month (especially the community observatory instead of the research dedicated ones). If the chance of putting an eye on the telescope peaks your curiosity I can assure you is like witnessing working magic (;

Not sure how this works outside Italy/Europe but.. worth a try. 

Miss_Bookworm
12 hours ago, slytherinintj13 said:

I'm a senior in high school, and I'm not in it this year due to other things, but I have done it before and it's so fun! I did the robotics stuff and some chemistry/physics too :)

Ooo! That's cool! I'm doing mostly study events except for Write It Do It. I really hope I place in at least one thing😂

slytherinintj13
8 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

Ooo! That's cool! I'm doing mostly study events except for Write It Do It. I really hope I place in at least one thing😂

You got this!! Let me know how it goes; I'm genuinely interested. 

Miss_Bookworm
1 hour ago, slytherinintj13 said:

You got this!! Let me know how it goes; I'm genuinely interested. 

It was a fun day, especially since I went through an event all alone (a bunch of seniors dropped out a couple of weeks ago and we've been scrambling to fill all of the events), but I didn't win anything.

I think my team got a 5th place, a 3rd place, and a 1st place medal, so we didn't come home empty-handed.

slytherinintj13

That's good! Although it sucks that a bunch of people dropped out so close to the competition.

AllTimeBubble

I do A-level Bio so that's fun

I find in particular animal biology interesting because, finding out how animals work just fascinates me. That's partly why I'm going to be a veterinary nurse so, woo science!

Infinitygm451

I just love how science can help so many people and explain why everything happens! I am still in school, and I'm gonna study ornithology! (The study of birds) I really love animals, but I don't think I could be a vet.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:37 AM, RC-121K said:

I double Skycaptain  's suggestion (missed few replies in the middle so not sure if someone already said this)..

Anyone interested in astronomy try seeking out an observatory near your area. It's typical to have public access hours, like I don't know on one/two days per month (especially the community observatory instead of the research dedicated ones). If the chance of putting an eye on the telescope peaks your curiosity I can assure you is like witnessing working magic (;

Not sure how this works outside Italy/Europe but.. worth a try. 

I remember when I was a child looking through a community telescope. Seeing planets, or a galaxy was just magical. 

Sort of funny, I'm involved in experimental astrophysics, now, but the types of telescopes I work on don't even produce images, just statistical studies  (radio telescopes / cosmic microwave background measurements). 

Knight of Cydonia
On 3/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, uhtred said:

Sort of funny, I'm involved in experimental astrophysics, now, but the types of telescopes I work on don't even produce images, just statistical studies  (radio telescopes / cosmic microwave background measurements).

When I tell someone I'm an astrophysicist who looks for exoplanets, and they ask if I look through a telescope to find them... I always have to disappoint them and say "no, I just download data off the internet!"

6 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

When I tell someone I'm an astrophysicist who looks for exoplanets, and they ask if I look through a telescope to find them... I always have to disappoint them and say "no, I just download data off the internet!"

I'm amused that the experimental cosmologists try to correct for annoying foreground signals - like galactic clusters that get in the way of the things they want to study.  Recently the realized that the next gen CMB telescopes would be excellent for planet searches.  

16 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

G U Y S

Did you see the picture they got of a black hole?!?!??!!?!?!!?!?

IT'S SOOOOOO COOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/science/black-hole-picture.html

Yes, completely amazing! .   Observational astrophysics and cosmology has done fantastic things recently. (also remember the colliding neutron stars seen by LIGO). 

I was at one of the telescopes in the array (SPT) a few months ago, but working on something else, so I don't know anything about this measurement except what was published. 

On 4/9/2019 at 7:54 AM, chandrakirti said:

Wow! I did not hear about this, and this is one heck of a discovery! I would not have necessarily thought this transition could be a state of matter! :) 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, uhtred said:

Yes, completely amazing! .   Observational astrophysics and cosmology has done fantastic things recently. (also remember the colliding neutron stars seen by LIGO). 

I was at one of the telescopes in the array (SPT) a few months ago, but working on something else, so I don't know anything about this measurement except what was published. 

It was such a striking photo, and to see such one how they initially predicted how it would look was even more remarkable! :) 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
6 hours ago, PittAce92 said:

Wow! I did not hear about this, and this is one heck of a discovery! I would not have necessarily thought this transition could be a state of matter! :) 

Perhaps the old Buddhist texts were right after all!😆

Guys we should have separate threads for different sciences. 

And different sub-threads for those sciences.

Also I thought this might interest you guys. 

I'm personally a mathsy person with a passion for computer science, but I'm also interested in Physics and Chemistry. I was shown a while back the code of this wonderful generator (and even found a way to improve on the credibility of the paper, as their graph scales are generally completely crazy, although I assume that's the point). It points out just how strictly regulated science papers are today, and how hardly anything outside of this strict corset will be accepted. Perhaps bad in the sense that this makes it tougher for scientists with different difficulties in communication, I would argue that this is overall quite a good thing, as it ensures that our 'facts' are strictly regulated and can easily be re-traced.

https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/

There's also a similar thing called Mathgen if you want to check that out.

http://thatsmathematics.com/mathgen/

Lots of fun fooling people with this too (although you should always say it's a joke afterwards, obviously).

19 hours ago, Abîme said:

Guys we should have separate threads for different sciences. 

And different sub-threads for those sciences.

NO! I really liked the moonbow, AND the new phase of matter, AND the black hole. Tell us about it all.

I'm not a scientist, but I have a real respect for science and I've recently started to become very interested in astronomy and computer science, mostly AI. 

And I've always liked genetics. 

• 2 months later...
AwkwardAxolotl

I always liked science because you never have all the answers, there's always more to learn. Of course usually what I learn leads to more questions than it answers, but that's all part of the fun.  And as an added bonus, I get to watch the expression on people's faces when I tell them I dissect fruit flies for a living.

Optical_Illusion

My favourite part about science is biology. I know it might seem boring to some people, but I personally think it's very interesting to see the smallest units of life and the most rudimentary areas of it. It's also the way things evolve and become something else overtime and how everything fits into a network.

Miss_Bookworm

12 hours ago, AwkwardAxolotl said:

And as an added bonus, I get to watch the expression on people's faces when I tell them I dissect fruit flies for a living.

That reminds me of how people react when I say I had fun dissecting a pig in bio last year😂 Or how I possibly want to be a coroner/medical examiner.

I love it, especially biology, love how we make rules and then nature breaks them, such as the platypus, also love the existentialism in it when you look deeper into it

22 hours ago, AwkwardAxolotl said:

I always liked science because you never have all the answers, there's always more to learn. Of course usually what I learn leads to more questions than it answers, but that's all part of the fun.  And as an added bonus, I get to watch the expression on people's faces when I tell them I dissect fruit flies for a living.

When I started interning in a lab for the first time:

wait.. you can get paid to do this? 😮😮😃

Archived