Sciencey Aces

alicio

I'm into the philosophical aspects of science like the idea of science itself and what makes a theory, truth claims, and technology. I'm interested in the more abstract considerations of science I guess. 

LadyGagaIsMyGod
On 1/12/2018 at 3:21 AM, Chimeric said:

Aw man, nature is just so amazing

I have to agree. Now I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as @Chimeric but I’m still in secondary school, and I’m moving up to college in August. I’ll be taking Biology (fave science), chemistry and history-odd combo I know- and I’m hoping to either do zoology or marine biology (the one that includes both marine animals and plant life) at a degree level. 

Now im not gunna lie, I can do chemistry, I just don’t particularly like it. However it’s necessary for nearly all careers I’m interested in sooo, Blegh I can deal.

Anyone have any advice for revision? 

• 2 weeks later...

So if we're talking about biology, I have some fun facts

1) Thinking of some of the fundamental things for animals to stay alive, one of those things you'll probably think of is oxygen, vitally all known animals need oxygen at some point in their lives. Believe it or not, this isn't the case for all animals, there has been one tiny (about 240 µm in length) invertebrate found and described, that in no phase during its life, needs oxygen and it's name: Spinoloricus cinziae 

Spoiler

363px-Spinoloricus.png

2) One of the big debates in phylogenetics (the study of how organisms are related to each other) is whether we are more closely related to sponges or comb jellies. Of course we aren't closely related to either, however, the debate is, which group diverged earliest from the rest of the animals

Spoiler

EZKmF1F.jpg

3) There is a flower, that is very alone, systematically speaking, it is the only species in its genus, the only genus in its family, the only family in its order (also it's the sister group, meaning it the closest relative not in the group, to all other flowers, our sister goup is, for example, chimps+bonobos), it is Amborella trichopoda

Spoiler

320px-Amborella_trichopoda.jpg

and those are three fun, at least I find them fun, biology facts :D

Janus the Fox

Computer sciencey being a more computer info systems design, though generally interested with science, given an interest with Chemistry and space + earth sciences, including a very minor interest with psychology, human biology and philosophy sciences, very basic interest in all those except computers.

• 3 weeks later...

i really love chemistry and i'm gonna study it at uni next year :) so excited

Hi molecular biologist here.  I love that the discovery process is a sort of logic puzzle.  Can we design an experiment (or several experiments) that absolutely show what we think is happening?  Can we eliminate other possible explanations?  Once we know one thing a thing does, what about other things that same protein might do?  Can we use this knowledge to develop a useful treatment without messing something else up too much?  

Cookie Monstar
On 1/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, LadyGagaIsMyGod said:

I have to agree. Now I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as @Chimeric but I’m still in secondary school, and I’m moving up to college in August. I’ll be taking Biology (fave science), chemistry and history-odd combo I know- and I’m hoping to either do zoology or marine biology (the one that includes both marine animals and plant life) at a degree level. 

Now im not gunna lie, I can do chemistry, I just don’t particularly like it. However it’s necessary for nearly all careers I’m interested in sooo, Blegh I can deal.

Anyone have any advice for revision? 

I did an AS in history, along with full A levels in Maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. History is very good for developing your analysing skills, as you have to be able to use evidence to form opinions, and essay writing. Being used to writing essays I think helped in my degree (Biomedical sciences), although I still prefer numbers 😛.

I love the research process and finding out new things. I'm studying to be an environmental scientist because I love life sciences most and the environment is in desperate need of repair.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
1 minute ago, AceyMacey said:

I love the research process and finding out new things. I'm studying to be an environmental scientist because I love life sciences most and the environment is in desperate need of repair.

The planet needs you and many more of you! Single most urgent issue today. Forget the politics, philosophies et al. Without a planet , what's the point.

It's shameful that it's fallen to schoolchildren around the world to highlight this.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

*waves* ElecEng PhD student here 8) I'm enjoying finally getting deep into my research now cause I'm trying to ground my goals for the tuning system I'm designing in acoustics and the psychology of music, so those are the two areas I'm studying at the mo, giving me a nifty intersection of physics and psychology.

BS in Electrical Engineering. That sounds quite interesting :), as I can see the similarities with acoustics and EE (The Electric and Magnetic Fields, thus Maxwell's Equations). I like this as I would say my expertise is in Electromagnetic Interference regarding electrical systems (i.e., Printed Circuit Boards for product development, etc.).

I also like the interconnectivity you are trying to find with acoustics and psychology. Hopefully there is something there!

Kelthepurplequeen

Anyone know why forensics gets a bad rap?

Cookie Monstar
14 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

It's great to see so many Scientists here!

Psychology, Endocrinology here...with a smattering of Nursing research thrown in.

I'm mostly immunology, although cancer biology and biochemistry is up there as well, I quite enjoyed the biological rhythms module I did though

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Immunology is playing a large part in the new treatments for cancer so you have the knowledge there! On my Psychology front, mine was mainly Physiological Psychology (Freud et al never cut it here!) 😄

what the face

Chemistry Major as undergad

Medicine , later residency

Family Practice

Lately I'm exploring wilderness healing/ecological philosophy

and animacy awareness

Miss_Bookworm
13 hours ago, Kelthepurplequeen said:

I wasn't aware that it did

14 hours ago, Kelthepurplequeen said:

Because it is seen as siding with the police. Like it or lump it with a minority of society its us versus them, and the police are them 

Kelthepurplequeen
44 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Because it is seen as siding with the police. Like it or lump it with a minority of society its us versus them, and the police are them 

But it’s fun.

Kelthepurplequeen
1 hour ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

I wasn't aware that it did

Apparently people think it’s boring.

Miss_Bookworm
13 hours ago, Kelthepurplequeen said:

Apparently people think it’s boring.

Boring?? how???

It's the coolest thing ever!

Neutral Charge

i also fit right in here, i have been obsessed  with understanding how things are made and how they function, the structure and function of everything fascinates me and my mind is constantly looking for links and patterns within the factual knowledge that we have atm, trying to put together the whole and visualize it in my mind ( i love doing that, i spend hour by myself doing that)

Im glad to see so many people that like one side or another of science and i think a meet up between science geeks would be really fun if we let ourselves travel with the "what if's"  :D  i often  miss having conversation with people with a developed imagination and a base in science fact such us basic structure of the universe, who enjoy to travel in their minds within the designs they think are a "maybe" and share their journeys

i like all science fields because i see  them all as a unity.  ❤️  

Kelthepurplequeen
2 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

Boring?? how???

It's the coolest thing ever!

Ikr? It's the best part of police work.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 19, 2019 at 7:28 AM, Neutral Charge said:

i like all science fields because i see  them all as a unity.  ❤️  

Great way to put it! This statement needs to be said more!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 1/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, MiseryTriumphant said:

I'm into the philosophical aspects of science like the idea of science itself and what makes a theory, truth claims, and technology. I'm interested in the more abstract considerations of science I guess. 

This is my masters thesis!😆apart from the technology bit...that hadn't been so evolved back then.

✿ Camelia ✿

Astrophysicist here! *^*

Science is just amazing, and scientists even more so for keep wondering and marveling about everything.

I love how in science what you don't know is as important (or more even) than what you do know. And that nothing is scientific unless it can be proven wrong. And that believes can be amended, and mistakes are just as good as achievements.

It can have opinions, but ultimately opinions are to each own device while the accepted facts are to be acknowledge by many.

I've always loved science and math.  They were always very interesting to me.  I'm currently majoring in mechanical engineering.  I have to take a lot of chem and physics classes, but I like them.

21 hours ago, Mezzaluna said:

I have to take a lot of chem and physics classes, but I like them.

That is great as for engineering these are the building blocks for everything that follows. :) 

Archived