Sciencey Aces

alicio

39 minutes ago, Hazel_Elise said:

I'm in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Governor's School program. Science, language, and music is basically my life right now. One of my prospective career fields that I am seriously considering is genetics. I want to do preventative medicine based on genetic research.

I still prefer STEAM to STEM

I'm actually doing a project for my degree on science and the arts

1 minute ago, Andrew001 said:

So do I, but my program is STEM, not STEAM. Unfortunately. I take all of my arts classes at my base school, not the governor’s school. That sounds like a cool project.

On 07/02/2018 at 2:35 AM, Andrew001 said:

But.. Surely adding arts to STEM is like adding heterosexual to LGBT+! STEAM just includes everything, there's no point. I mean, if you say, 'I work in STEAM,' that doesn't narrow it down at all, it could mean literally any job. Whereas STEM just about cuts out half of all possible jobs.

2 hours ago, Baam said:

But.. Surely adding arts to STEM is like adding heterosexual to LGBT+! STEAM just includes everything, there's no point. I mean, if you say, 'I work in STEAM,' that doesn't narrow it down at all, it could mean literally any job. Whereas STEM just about cuts out half of all possible jobs.

The STEM and STEAM debate is more about education than jobs

Gov't priorities have seen cuts to the art budgets across schools and university's.

While the core STEM subjects are important to any economy life would be pretty bad without the arts.

You'd have a fantastic low power wide screen back lit led TV but no movies to watch on it.

That is if Scientists had bothered to develope the technology. As TV and cinema maybe a scientific invention, but it was artists/entertainers that wanted to create the shows for people to see

27 minutes ago, Andrew001 said:

The STEM and STEAM debate is more about education than jobs

Gov't priorities have seen cuts to the art budgets across schools and university's.

While the core STEM subjects are important to any economy life would be pretty bad without the arts.

You'd have a fantastic low power wide screen back lit led TV but no movies to watch on it.

That is if Scientists had bothered to develope the technology. As TV and cinema maybe a scientific invention, but it was artists/entertainers that wanted to create the shows for people to see

Sure, but the acronym itself is useless. I do not underestimate the value of intersectionality of the sciences and the arts at all, I assure you. I completely agree that they'd be hugely impeded if they did not work together.

I meant that there's no point having an acronym STEAM, as it just includes everything. The entire point of the acronym was to refer to everything other than arts.

On 13-1-2018 at 5:01 PM, Baam said:

... I'm more interested about the harming humanity side ...

For one of the harmful effects, see my old topic:

1 hour ago, Thea2 said:

For one of the harmful effects, see my old topic:

That is not something that can be inherently blamed on science and technological progress. It can be MUCH more readily blamed on the greed on individuals. You can't just go blaming everything that's wrong with society on one thing like that, especially when science has done so much good for the world. Perhaps we should just trash all of our knowledge of modern medicine and go back to dying from the common cold?

On 2/7/2018 at 8:45 AM, Jade Cross said:

People dont take too kindly to be called sacks of meat though.

My wife calls taking a bath 'time to cleanse the meat sack'. :lol:

As far as the debate going on, I agree with @Baam.

Working smarter not harder, is the way i try to live.

Without something to drive us, no progress would be made.

Whether that drive is financial, or a drive to enjoy life more, or to live longer.

I hazard a guess if you go back to 1400 and ask, would you rather work 6 months a year or work 11 months but live 3 times as long? They'll pick the later.

People want to make money, they turn to scientists to produce the technology or work out how to complete the objective that will generate the money, then lower skilled people are normally employed to complete the task.

Pull out 1 cog and the wheel falls off.

The greed at the top is often required or there would be no funding for scientists

The discussion on meat sacks reminds me of the ever wonderful HK-47.

The only problem with greed driven funding is that many important findings have had no immediately obvious value.

1 hour ago, Correner said:

The discussion on meat sacks reminds me of the ever wonderful HK-47.

The only problem with greed driven funding is that many important findings have had no immediately obvious value.

Bbyproducts of research are a norm. In scientific research, Rockets that can hit country X, enables Rockets to reach the moon using same research.

I'm working on a photography book, but as I'm not a world famous photographer, I wont get funding from a publisher, but i can earn money doing other work which enables me to work on my book. In the same way a scientist paid to do X can then do Y in his free time to research the things that have no immediate commercial value

On 1/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, Correner said:

Striving to eventually become an anatomic and forensic pathologist.

I can't even believe I've managed to find not one but two people interested in pathology and histology on this thread, this is actually blowing my mind.

I'm working on a residency in comparative anatomic pathology. :lol::cake:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All, Not sure if this thread is dead or not but imma participate anyways! 

I am a palaeontologist (in training, but I have travelled to various dig sites so I feel as though I have earned the title). Before you ask, no I don't study dinosaurs, though I always thought I would. I am currently studying fossil sites in Kenya that are 17 to 16 Million years old as a member of an international project. My role in the project is to help reconstruct the environment there using the chemical signatures of fossilized teeth (this tells me the plants they were eating). 

I love my job! Sadly this chapter may be closing soon as I graduate with my Masters by the end of the summer. On the bright side, who knows what project I will be attached to in the future! 

1 hour ago, Ace_Cat said:

My role in the project is to help reconstruct the environment there using the chemical signatures of fossilized teeth (this tells me the plants they were eating). 

That's awesome.

How on earth do you analyze that kind of stuff?

2 hours ago, Chimeric said:

That's awesome.

How on earth do you analyze that kind of stuff?

I grind up the teeth and I run it through a machine called an Isotope Mass Spectrometer. It tells me what the values of stable isotopes are (elements that do not decay with time). These elements do not change from when the tooth was formed and the values can tell us the source! I like working with this stuff a lot, its super interesting, but a lot of numbers aha 

I want one! (But I specialize nonofficially in the realm of Quantum Mechanics. YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH

ilikethewordelephant

Wow, it's so cool to see a fair number of physicists here, and even more researchers and science lovers (!).

I have a general interest in astronomy, but my day job is theoretical quantum information. I like science--or rather, physics (and some applied maths) because it's problem solving (and I still love the moment when I successfully solve a problem).

• 4 weeks later...
On 8-2-2018 at 8:42 PM, Baam said:

... when science has done so much good for the world. ...

Arguably so.

My original post, “… as I see it, technological progress has brought a lot of harm to humanity …” https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166169-sciencey-aces/?do=findComment&comment=1062647039

You then asked "... how it's negatively impacted humanity!!!" https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166169-sciencey-aces/?do=findComment&comment=1062647308

The "howis implicit in my original post, but I will elaborate: Technological progress requires young people in education and adults at work to think about their task. It does not leave them free to have their own thoughts and feelings, moment to moment. IMHO this is harmful as it hampers their psychosexual development.

8 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Arguably so.

My original post, “… as I see it, technological progress has brought a lot of harm to humanity …” https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166169-sciencey-aces/?do=findComment&comment=1062647039

You then asked "... how it's negatively impacted humanity!!!" https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166169-sciencey-aces/?do=findComment&comment=1062647308

The "howis implicit in my original post, but I will elaborate:

Technological progress requires young people in education and adults at work to think about their task. It does not leave them free to have their own thoughts and feelings, moment to moment. IMHO this is harmful as it hampers their psychosexual development.

But I mean... Do you honestly think we'd be better off still living in caves? Sure, as you said in your initial comment, you don't need to understand things to enjoy them. But you wouldn't have anything without science and technological progress. You wouldn't have the knowledge to prepare your food to get rid of harmful bacteria. You'd have no medicinal knowledge, dying of the most basic of illnesses... No humanity as we know it. Would we truly be better off throwing away every bit of technology right now? I think humanity's ability to communicate to almost anyone anywhere is one of our greatest strengths.

What do you mean technological progress requires people to think about their tasks? Everyone thinks about their tasks! That's a basic requirement of performing a task. I hope my surgeon is thinking about what they're doing to my innards! And it's not like we're forced to be working on a task 24/7. People are generally free to stop and think about whatever they want at any time.

I mean... All throughout history people have had to think about their tasks in and out of education. I'm extremely confused as to what you mean here.

Celyn: The Lutening

Hey, I hear y'all talking science without me! Fourth (assuming I'm counting right) histology and pathology fan here. I know more about meat and egg production science (I actually hate eggs though, except in cake and quiche) than I ever imagined I would. I'm big on toxicology because it's the closest thing to legally being an assassin. And I'm a science teacher because it's the closest thing to being a wizard. 

Duke Memphis

I love chemistry. It's one reason why I want to go into pharmaceutical studies.

• 7 months later...
HeartandBrain

Hello! I also wholeheartedly love science. I recently graduated with a BS in both psychology and biology and am now in a Biology-Neuroscience PhD research program. It's so nice to hear thoughts from so many science-loving people 😁

I'm majoring in biology/zoology at my university right now and I'm working at the city zoo. I'm very interested in conservation biology. I also just think my job is awesome and animals are incredibly cool. Did you know that there's a mouse called the grasshopper mouse that is immune to centipede venom, is mostly carnivorous, and howls like a tiny, high pitched wolf? How cool is that?!

I suppose part of why I love science is because I refuse to take anything anyone says about the world at face value. If you're gonna make a statement, then you need evidence to back it. up. That probably also feeds into my enjoyment of history and statistics as well.

My favorite fields are biology/zoology and psychology, but the real life physics of alternate dimensions is the coolest shit ever.

People keep mentioning crazy animals that exist so I'd like to add to that. Has anyone heard of the immortal jellyfish? It's a type of jellyfish that ages and reproduces like any other animal. But then, instead of dying, it just goes right back to it's infant stage. The only way these guys die is if they get sick or a bigger fish eats them.

Or how about the waterbear, a microanimal capable of surviving in temperatures of minus 272 celcius (1 degree above absolute zero), enough radiation to boil away the entire world's oceans, or even in the vacuum of space. That's right, these little guys were sent to space and lived for 12 whole days outside the space ship.

• 1 month later...
Miss_Bookworm

Hello! I just found this thread and I'm happy that other Aces love science!

I personally have always loved science in school, up until high school, but that's mostly due to the teachers.

I really want to go into forensics, specifically a medical examiner or forensic technician.

I absolutely love science.

From simple reactions to studying isotopes, aeronautical science to just bizarre inventions that my brain makes.

I love science in all scopes, from botany to zoology and especially medical science. I love finding out why things work the way they do, I find it absolutely fascinating. Pathology has a super special place in my heart.

Archived