Sciencey Aces

alicio

Another earth science fan here, although now it's just a hobby. I started out with a variety of tech positions within the U.S. Geological Survey, including groundwater monitoring and paleoclimate studies, but moved on to seismology when Mount. St. Helens erupted in 1980. Spent most of my career as a seismological technician, looking at wiggly lines on everything from old pen-and-ink seismographs to modern digital 3-component recorders. We've been in kind of a quiet cycle for large earthquakes in the western U.S. in the past couple of decades, and I wonder how much longer it's going to last.

J. van Deijck
On 12/01/2018 at 11:03 PM, TheAmazingImperialEmperor said:

I love science. I am into AI, machine learning and robotics. I read up about astronomy from time to time though.

YAY!

Forensics, definitly forensics  8) Histology/Pathology is also very interesting^^

I love science in general, I love astronomy and anything to do with the 4th (or higher dimensions) -pretty much anything that'l make me stop and say "that's so freaking cool!" :)

I also like social science, how people work, and interact and communicate with each other, even things as simple as body language fascinate me (knowing and understanding body language is super helpful- you can influence the way people think about you without them even being aware. Eg. By simply crossing my arms, leaning back, and turning my feet away from them, my relatives no longer try and hug me at family gatherings, a victory for science as I hate hugs... :D

I like science.. I like biology fields best especially things like genetics and inheritance, evolution and animals 

J. van Deijck
8 hours ago, OpenAce said:

and anything to do with the 4th (or higher dimensions

it immediately made me think of tesseract :D

20 hours ago, OpenAce said:

I love science in general, I love astronomy and anything to do with the 4th (or higher dimensions) -pretty much anything that'l make me stop and say "that's so freaking cool!" :)

This is a fun challenge with a 'that's so freaking cool!' epilogue (with an extra twist of difficulty since you don't know what the techniques shown in the lectures are):

Spoiler

bkWExKK.png

Since you mentioned  your love of the upper dimensions... ;) 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
On 1/13/2018 at 9:17 AM, Skycaptain said:

Anyone interested in astronomy, a visit to a planetarium would be worthwhile

I actually work at a Science Center that has a planetarium, it's under renovations right now, the Science Center also hosts the day that is National Astronomy Day, we have people from the universities and NASA there. My manager is an ambassador with NASA and he is hoping to get me to be one when NASA is looking for more. ^_^ 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
On 1/13/2018 at 10:20 PM, coyote55 said:

Another earth science fan here, although now it's just a hobby. I started out with a variety of tech positions within the U.S. Geological Survey, including groundwater monitoring and paleoclimate studies, but moved on to seismology when Mount. St. Helens erupted in 1980. Spent most of my career as a seismological technician, looking at wiggly lines on everything from old pen-and-ink seismographs to modern digital 3-component recorders. We've been in kind of a quiet cycle for large earthquakes in the western U.S. in the past couple of decades, and I wonder how much longer it's going to last.

That's the thing we will never know when the next big one will be, however we may know by the seismic increase, but it's not how big but when it will happen.

The past is the key to the future, and when it happens we will have to be aware of the areas that will be affected the most.

I knew where I am at we were going to have a nice shaker because of how the quakes were lasting and how frequent they were. By January 23 there were enough within that day I knew it was going to be within hours but even then still no idea how big, in the end there were 2 one was 6.8 and the other that hit 2 seconds later was 7.1. I loved how they shook, I was THRILLED at how large they were as well.

Knight of Cydonia

Astrophysics PhD candidate here, focused on exoplanets. (Hopefully) I'll be done in two years!

Although I have a degree in Humanities and am pursuing a doctorate in Sustainable Education, I too, appreciate science.

Specifically, I am interested in botany and environmental sciences. For example, I examine how sacred traditions merge with science to establish seed banks or protect endangered plant life (i.e. "sacred forest and sacred groves"). Learning these traditions includes understanding how seeds are preserved, when and how they germinate, which seeds are endemic to a particular region, etc. I've even looked at Buddhist animal release practices and how these acts can be spiritual but damaging to the environment when invasive species such as bullfrogs are introduced to an environment.

Naturally, I'm fascinated by physics and cosmology because many cultures use myths and story-telling or religion to sometimes explain these phenomenon. Environmental humanities are great for individuals like me who respect certain scientific theories and data but also need to examine relationships between science and creative inspiration.

Growing up in Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry was one my favorite museum. I enjoyed seeing the development of human life in utero on display and so much more.

On 1/14/2018 at 6:21 AM, Llea said:

Forensics, definitly forensics  8) Histology/Pathology is also very interesting^^

The chances of finding someone else on this forum specifically interested in histology and pathology has got to be ridiculously slim. :lol:

I'm studying comparative anatomic pathology at the moment. Part of my job includes reading histology for autopsy and surgical biopsy cases. If you ever have questions, I'd love to shoot the breeze with ya!

15 hours ago, Chimeric said:

I'm studying comparative anatomic pathology at the moment. Part of my job includes reading histology for autopsy and surgical biopsy cases. If you ever have questions, I'd love to shoot the breeze with ya!

Thank you for the offer! I'll write you a PM this weekend :o

I'm into astrophysics, quantum physics and computer science. ^_^ I can't afford college right now, but I'd definitely major in computer science or physics if I could.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

*waves* ElecEng PhD student here 8) I'm enjoying finally getting deep into my research now cause I'm trying to ground my goals for the tuning system I'm designing in acoustics and the psychology of music, so those are the two areas I'm studying at the mo, giving me a nifty intersection of physics and psychology.

Currently aiming for a dual major in biology and behavioral and cognitive neuroscience. Striving to eventually become an anatomic and forensic pathologist.

Always liked how answering a question just leads to more questions in science.

The scientific method is cool.

But my true <3 isn't science but Big Pseudo.

Big Pseudo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Big Science

It never gets boring, for me, and the bigger the pseudo the better.

Queen Alba and Empress Paltrow are amazing in their own way. Life without Goop wouldn't be as funny as it is.

Music & Lyrics

Degree in physics and philosophy,  masters in renewable energy 😊 I love science and anything that helps me learn about the world really!  

I'm really interested in forensics and microbiology, and I'm currently learning about radiochemistry at work (a job in forensics would be my ideal, but radiochemistry is proving to be interesting enough ^_^)

I am really into Computer Science, although I really like general sciences and mathematics because it is the foundation of everything and is mostly pure logic based. And quantum mechanics are just awesome. I guess I like sciences mostly because one can come up with serious answers to ludicrous questions.

Physics (neutrino detection experiment) postdoc here. Science is nearly all of my life, aside from the parts spent worrying about actually finding a stable career in physics.

I do Chemistry at university and I just like how neat it is to make a molecule then prove you actually made the right thing. I mean bits of it are a drag (looking at you point groups >:( ) but in general its pretty fun. 

On 20/01/2018 at 1:59 PM, praetorius said:

Physics (neutrino detection experiment) postdoc here. Science is nearly all of my life, aside from the parts spent worrying about actually finding a stable career in physics.

Isn't IceCube by any chance?

4 minutes ago, Baam said:

Isn't IceCube by any chance?

Nope, though I do love the idea of that experiment. I'm working on a neutrino detector about a billion times smaller (cubic-meter scale instead of cubic-kilometer scale), for measuring reactor antineutrinos (https://prospect.yale.edu/). I am considering applying for an Antarctica winter-over job with IceCube...

41 minutes ago, praetorius said:

Nope, though I do love the idea of that experiment. I'm working on a neutrino detector about a billion times smaller (cubic-meter scale instead of cubic-kilometer scale), for measuring reactor antineutrinos (https://prospect.yale.edu/). I am considering applying for an Antarctica winter-over job with IceCube...

I haven't heard of PROSPECT before, sounds interesting! I know someone who just came back from the last winter-over at IceCube, pm me if you like. :P We have quite a few people working on IceCube where I'm researching atm.

Semiterrestrial Scientist

Science is amazing! We can figure out and understand so much with it. I like chemistry and biology but I’m still in high school so I don’t know all the fields yet.

I'm a physics PhD student, having done my undergrad in physics.

I don't remember ever being a sciencey person when I was younger.  I remember, being 14 or 15, throwing a stone into the air, watching it  a go up and come down and finally appreciating how mathematical modelling works in physics.

Oh my gosh! I am so glad to see this thread!

I'm a wildlife biologist, but I also write content for science textbooks and videos, and I just generally love the whole idea of science, the philosophy and history of it. I love that there's this way of looking at a problem or a question that's out there in the world, and making the answer to that question incrementally more visible and comprehensible to the human mind. 

I also like the ambiguity of it all, the comfort with uncertainty. I think it's one of the few philosophical traditions that isn't trying to give certainty or calm anxieties, but rather to say, here's how certain we are, here's how uncertain, and here's what's left to be answered. So fantastic! (I realize a lot of people [mis]understand science as a quest for a definitive and unifying "Truth" but it's really just a perpetual exploration of the unknown and a way to constantly improve understanding, rather than arrive at an end point.)

• 2 weeks later...

I made my Bachelor's in Biochemistry and Masters in Organic Chemistry. I've already worked in Molecular Dynamics (during my Bachelor's project) and NMR (for my Masters thesis) for research. I don't mind the experimental bits of science, but what I really like are these two things. They aren't very experimental and take me to the best part of science, which to me is rationalize mechanisms of how things happen the way they do. They are complementary to each other, but in my country it's very hard to get opportunities in them. They are also the areas people are less interested, because we have to be sitted in from of a computer all day, looking at NMR spectra or waiting for simulations to run, so we have results to analyse. 

Besides, this I love all types of science. I have a especial interest in Cognitive Sciences and Psychology and love to read about science. I just really love to learn.

I'm in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Governor's School program. Science, language, and music is basically my life right now. One of my prospective career fields that I am seriously considering is genetics. I want to do preventative medicine based on genetic research.

Archived