Sciencey Aces

alicio

As I've spent more time on AVEN, I have found more and more asexuals with interests in science, which  is so freaking cool.

I've loved science since I was a kid and want to go into immunology or gene therapy after college.

So, to all the sciencey aces, what do you love about science? What's your field of interest?  (and for all the non-science lovers, what are you into?)

Science is great!

I'm more of a dabbler rather than a practicing scientist, and find all sorts of science news to be very interesting (especially stuff in astronomy, paleontology, and many other fields). One of my favorite places to visit when I was a kid was the natural history museum. I still love museums and like to visit various science museums and other museums when I travel.

What do I love about Science?

Science works

I'm not a scientist but I've gone from working as a computer tech to going to university to do an Arts degree in Photography.

Food Science or specifically meat science is my thing, but all kinds of science interest me.  What do I love about science?  It is evidence- based supported by facts.  Not too much room for beliefs or opinions in hard science.

I'm in neuroscience.  I specialize in examining central nervous system dysfunctions in pediatrics.  I love learning new things.  As much as we think we know about how the brain works, there is so much more to be discovered.   

I love science. 

Science answers questions while spawning more, science explains magic while making it possible, science enhances our understanding while illustrating how little we actually know.... as a field, science presents facts while giving itself the flexibility to be wrong. So few things in the world embrace that sort of plasticity and I super dig it.

love comparative anatomy/physiology/pathology. The way that different species have adapted to their world, the way that different species are affected by and respond to different diseases... these things fascinate me.

Pathology is my true love (well, after @Evil :lol:). Why disease happens, what the body does to prevent it from happening, what the body does when it does happen, how we can help the body do what it needs to do to fight off disease.... Oh man, I eat that shit right up. And, pathology as a field is hugely academic. We rely on each other to publish things so we can do a better job qualifying our diagnoses and improving patient outcomes. AND I get to take bodies apart and figure out why they stopped working. Love it. Love it so much.

I'm also super in to bioinformatics and computational genomics at the moment. I don't love statistics but I do love numbers and it's interesting seeing trends in gene expression across microbes in various environments.

Also epigenetics. How about the fact that 98% of the human genome doesn't encode for proteins (ie, isn't genes)? Instead it encodes for various regulatory molecules that stop gene expression from occurring. I mean we only just figured out how to sequence the human genome and now we're deciding most of it isn't actually programming the stuff that makes us, us. UFF that stuff is so cool.

And speaking of the genome and DNA and things that prevent out body from getting sick, did you know that neutrophils (the best white blood cell) literally weaponize their DNA? Like they're just like "lol nah I don't actually need the blueprint that allows me to create literally every protein I need to do absolutely anything - I'll just use it to take out this bacterium, instead." There is nothing more badass than a neutrophil. (That's my avatar, by the way; the faint blue dots are the remaining nuclei, the green webs are the DNA they've spat out to form a net to catch bacteria because they are the f-ing bomb).

I did a biology degree in undergrad and it was like learning trivia. Just, all the time. Trivia. 

Did you know there's a species of flying snake? 

Yep. 

Well... flying in the sense that flying squirrels fly.

Did you know falcons in Australia drop burning branches from nearby fires to flush prey out of the grass? I mean come ON, that is awesome. And further proof that nothing in Australia is sacred, because even the birds will drop worse than poop on your head.

Okay I'll end this rant, but yes, I love science. I just really love it.

Addendum -

WAIT BUT DID YOU KNOW there are some trees that actually need fire in order to germinate?

Did you know some species of plants have distinct, individual male and female plants? They're called dioecious. Holly is one; only the female trees produce berries, and only if there's a male tree close enough to fertilize them. Here we are thinking only animals get away with that sort of thing, but NOPE.

Aw man, nature is just so amazing.

Okay, now I'm done.

happykitten62

I am a chemist, and a college professor teaching chemistry. I love science because it does not depend on anyone's opinion - the evidence are there; it doesn't matter if you believe it or not, they are still there. Also because science is just freaking awesome.

I chose chemistry partly because I like Sherlock Holmes...after I studied chemistry, I have found that it is definitely not the same as what is described in Sherlock Holmes series...but Sherlock Holmes was one of the things that stimulated my interest in chemistry initially.

I always wanted to understand why things happen. Like when I was younger and couldn't ride a bike, I watched my sisters riding and thought about how the gears worked. Or when I wan't coordinated enough to play a sport during school recess, I watched the trajectory of basketballs or thought about probabilities for the best angle to score a goal in soccer based on the concentration and pattern of the players' dispersion.

It was also one of the first places, and still one of few, that I felt comfortable and like I could be part of a community. That's how I feel on AVEN too! When people tormented me in elementary school, I could always find solace in the unwavering solidity of what I knew to be objectively true, even when others would change facts just to win an argument. With science I can always be right-if the evidence were to suddenly suggest something completely different, I would still be right because I believe what it suggests.

I love all the physics, it's my major! I also appreciate chemistry and biology, but when it comes to geology I get bored. :/ I'm most happy with physics, but if my older sister hadn't chosen to go into medicine then I might have become a doctor myself. It still has the most direct impact for helping people, but as long as one of us is doing it I won't feel like I could be doing something more noble in the short run. My work (after grad school!) will help in the long run.

Cobaltprincess

I absolutely LOVE science. I’m still in school but fields I like the most are physics and also electricity. I can’t really explain it but the way it’s so rational but abstract at the same time fascinates me. Chemistry is pretty cool too. Not that into biology though. I mean it’s fine but I’d rather be learning about things in physics. I also really like engineering and how it incorporates sciences into building stuff.

Graceless_Ace

I adore science, and I love zoology, ecology, biochemistry, toxicology and especially toxinology! I want to become a scientist. All natural sciences are amazing! I like other sciences too, but natural science is the best science for me! 

I love biology, since I like knowing how living things grow and function. Also I'm into the macabre, so things like diseases, injury, and physiology(what peoples' and animals' insides look like :P) are pretty cool to me too. Astronomy is another field I like, just learning about the vast cosmos out there.

I ultimately went into finance in college, since I'm more into math and numbers, but science still interests me quite a bit.

Being a software developer and computer science lover, I'm mostly interested in how technological innovations improve research. While the results of research is what catches my attention, I'm usually more interested in how it was achieved.

As for fields, I love astronomy and paleontology. I'm also interested in anatomy, botany and zoology.

I'm a student of physics, in particular high energy astrophysics. I'm currently researching ultra-high energy cosmic rays. I also really enjoy particle physics and quantum mechanics (in particular QCD).

@Cobaltprincess What areas of physics do you like? : ) Sounds like you'd enjoy electrodynamics (and maybe quantum electrodynamics/QED) if you like electricity?

Never had any actual schooling opportunities to specialize in a field but access to books, university papers and the internet keeps me learning. I like all avenues of science simply for the sake of understanding more about what's around me.

Cobaltprincess

@Baam I know that I really like electricity. I’m still in high school so I don’t know all the fields but I really enjoy all kinds of physics. Right now, I read a lot about quantic physics and electricity for school but astrophysics are awesome too.

SorryNotSorry

Pros:

It's accessible.

Understanding it has prevented my quality of life from being lousy. 

Unlike magic, anyone can make it work.

I guess I did ok for someone who never went to college (and never wanted to).

Cons:

I'm surrounded by people who don't see the world through a lens of scientific facts.

The family members who raised me trusted magic and superstition, but they didn't trust science.

Life can be so difficult for a scientifically-minded kid surrounded by magic-minded adults, at times that kid will feel like giving up.

Unfortunately we live in a time when plenty of people want to bash science and somehow turn it into "un-fact".

I love science quite a bit.

I love Biology, Computer science, and Quantum physics (theoretical parts, not the math)

I don't go to school for it, I just read a lot and had a natural knack for in in school. Im more interested in learning about computers than anything. Especially quantum computing, and artificial intelligence.

J. van Deijck

I just love everything that has anything to do with science. chemistry, physics, biology, robotics, IT sciences etc. etc. and it's just a small part.

I'm particularly obsessed with robots and I have a thing for ionising radiation, I even know how to make x-rays at home.

I love science especially chemistry at the moment.

For my Alevels I am taking Biology Chemistry and maths. Loving (platonically) every second. Except tests maybe

I love science because everything that exists is because of science. It is a scientific fact that we are all made of stardust.

My main interests in science are cosmology, quantum mechanics, physics, and astronomy.

When I was in the military my job was in aviation electronics. I fixed radar on the F/A-18 fighter jet. There were interesting parts to the job, but running a test bench every day gets boring. Now I'm a disabled veteran with lots of interests but nothing on a professional level.

NotGojoSatoru

I love science. I am into AI, machine learning and robotics. I read up about astronomy from time to time though.

I'm getting my degree in Biological sciences and I'm hoping to get into biomedical research !

7 hours ago, Yato said:

I love Biology, Computer science, and Quantum physics (theoretical parts, not the math)

Surely the theoretical parts are the bits with maths! :P In fact, it's the most mathematical subfield of physics I know! Perhaps maths isn't so bad..? Admit it ;):cake: 

20 hours ago, Gloomy said:

Also I'm into the macabre, so things like diseases, injury, and physiology(what peoples' and animals' insides look like :P) are pretty cool to me too

It's not macabre, it's the most natural thing in the world. =)

We're all just meat in motion. :lol:

4 hours ago, Baam said:

Surely the theoretical parts are the bits with maths! :P In fact, it's the most mathematical subfield of physics I know! Perhaps maths isn't so bad..? Admit it ;):cake: 

It's not that bad :P but no one can teach it to me very well.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I'm a volcanologist/geologist and volunteer with USGS right now with mapping until they can hire someone in my field interests. I'm also going to become an ambassador with NASA once I hear that they're looking for more. My manager at the Science Center is going to help me become an ambassador with NASA.

4 hours ago, Yato said:

It's not that bad :P but no one can teach it to me very well.

It is quite different than other subfields, though I actually found the maths and logic of electrodynamics a lot harder personally.

On 12-1-2018 at 3:49 AM, alicio said:

... (and for all the non-science lovers, what are you into?)

A lot of pro-science replies only, so here I am. :lol: I am against science (I do have a maths degree, from long ago, but never used it for anything). 

I'm 'into' just doing my own life, in my own way, moment to moment, to the best of my own knowledge. Thinking (& feeling) for myself, moment to moment, is all consuming. It does not leave me time to read up on things that are outside of me (and that's fine with me because I consider these 'none of my business'). I don't need to understand things to enjoy them.  And, as I see it, technological progres has brought a lot of harm to humanity and the planet. :cake:

3 hours ago, Thea2 said:

A lot of pro-science replies only, so here I am. :lol: I am against science (I do have a maths degree, from long ago, but never used it for anything). 

I'm 'into' just doing my own life, in my own way, moment to moment, to the best of my own knowledge. Thinking (& feeling) for myself, moment to moment, is all consuming. It does not leave me time to read up on things that are outside of me (and that's fine with me because I consider these 'none of my business'). I don't need to understand things to enjoy them.  And, as I see it, technological progres has brought a lot of harm to humanity and the planet. :cake:

Haha you seem the complete opposite person to me in every way (even sexuality lol, you're heteroromantic asexual and I'm an aromantic gay)! I can see the viewpoint of humanity's technological advancements bringing harm to Earth, but I really cannot come up with any ideas as to how it's negatively impacted humanity!!! I would dread to live in a world where we still relied on the opposite of science and logic to dictate our laws and the way in which we all live. It would be my worst nightmare! How do you see it? As I said, it's clear about the harming the planet side, I'm more interested about the harming humanity side. I'd love to know why I'm going to dedicate my entire life towards harming humanity and dragging us all backwards. ;)

I also couldn't live without knowing how things work, I'm way too curious. It drives me crazy when I don't understand the physics of something! But that's obviously more of a personal thing. :cake:

Anyone interested in astronomy, a visit to a planetarium would be worthwhile. A surround vision presentation of space allows you to see things from (sorry about this) a new perspective 

I'm not a scientist per se, but like to understand how things work, so read a lot of science orientated books 

Archived