breast reduction as genderqueer?

Just Somebody

Just Somebody

Hi, it's me again, I was thinking tonight and something good got me curious.

Has anyone already got an appointment for a breast reduction because gender dysphoria instead of too surgery and instead of physical discomfort?

How much Can you expect the surgery to diminish ? Like going from an NN to a B cup is possible ? Is being overweight a  contraindication for the surgery ? Are there contraindications besides the general ones for any surgery ? did you lose sensation ? How much was lost ? Is it common ? what were your before and after sizes ?

I just wanna talk about breast reductions as an genderqueer person.

I keep an open mind about a breast reduction instead of top surgery. But I haven't taken any action so far.

I think a breast reduction is possible from any cup size down. I don't know if a B cup is possible. But I've had a coworker in the past going down to a D, which fit her body type nicely. And yes, she was overweight and still got the surgery approved. (It was for other health reasons than dysphoria).

I guess you'd have to make an appointment and ask these questions to a doctor to know for sure.

I have done anchortype breast reduction surgery along time ago. I went from an american E size to american B cup, the most important things you have to remember is that you need to lose weight pre surgery if you're overweight to reduce the effects of anesthesia. I had to lose about 5 lbs to be approved for surgery. It did take me a long time to make this decision because i knew the pro's and cons and especially because i have thallassemia it was very important to realise extra time would be neccessary to recover from it. But i'm happy i did it because now i can easily bind and can still keep my femininty. I did consider top surgery first but that step was too big for me to take. I just wanted to be able to be myself without having to deal with the consequences of being too oversized.I was lucky my insurance fully covered the surgery after they received the request from my surgeon so it didn't cost me a dime XD

Edit: They always count your current cup size and then two sizes down when calculating the cup size to be.

Effects:  might be TMI

Spoiler

You'll definetly lose sensitivity around the nipple area and on the side, I've lost mine after surgery and i can barely sense touch so i have to be super careful when wearing a binder or a bra because the nerves got damaged and it can take a long time for it to come back. It's  not a 100% guarantee they'll come back anyway. Also other things you need to compare with are the scars you'll have after surgery, I took injections to minimize the effects as my skin is dark and it's visible.

Anyway, this is all i can tell you about the surgery itself, good luck!

On 10/01/2018 at 1:21 AM, Just Somebody said:

Hi, it's me again, I was thinking tonight and something good got me curious.

Has anyone already got an appointment for a breast reduction because gender dysphoria instead of too surgery and instead of physical discomfort?

How much Can you expect the surgery to diminish ? Like going from an NN to a B cup is possible ? Is being overweight a  contraindication for the surgery ? Are there contraindications besides the general ones for any surgery ? did you lose sensation ? How much was lost ? Is it common ? what were your before and after sizes ?

I just wanna talk about breast reductions as an genderqueer person.

I had a reduction two weeks ago so this is pretty good timing. I never mentioned gender to them because I met all of the other criteria and didn't know what the response would be if I did mention it, but I personally still consider it one of my reasons. I don't know if they'll do a reduction solely for gender dysphoria or not.

They discuss all these kind of questions with you at appointments so that you're well informed when you make your decision. What the surgeon does is reduce you to a size that's proportional to your frame, though I was told that there is also a limit on how much tissue it is safe to remove in a reduction. For me, that limit was going from a (UK) H/HH to D/DD (this is an estimate since I won't be measured until the swelling has fully gone down, but it was the size they were aiming for). You would have to ask a consultant but I would say NN to B isn't possible. With my surgery, you had to be under a certain BMI but I can't remember what it was. I think it was pretty high. Also any weight gain after surgery will still increase your breast size like it would before surgery. You lose nipple sensation after surgery but it is meant to eventually return (sometimes it does not) and people do report being more/less sensitive than they were before the operation. Also for me the underside where they've actually done all the stitching feels a bit off sensitivity wise but I'm not sure if that's temporary or not.

Other information from my experience: getting referred to getting surgery took me roughly 2 years but that may have been impacted by me being under 18 when I was first referred (I had mine done on the NHS so this could be completely different elsewhere). I required an overnight stay in the hospital. My recovery time is estimated to be 6-8 weeks (bandages came off a little after 1 week) and I'm required to wear sports bras for that entire period, day and night. As of yet there haven't been any complications. For me pain and discomfort went away in the first two weeks and now it only hurts if I'm stretching to reach something or move too suddenly, but how quickly you recover varies from person to person. I'm supposed to meet the surgeon again for a sort of check up in a couple of months. It is still possible to have further surgeries (such as another reduction or mastectomy) if necessary in the future but it wouldn't be as simple as it would be if that area hadn't been already operated on.

Just Somebody
7 hours ago, Zsareph said:

I had a reduction two weeks ago so this is pretty good timing. I never mentioned gender to them because I met all of the other criteria and didn't know what the response would be if I did mention it, but I personally still consider it one of my reasons. I don't know if they'll do a reduction solely for gender dysphoria or not.

They discuss all these kind of questions with you at appointments so that you're well informed when you make your decision. What the surgeon does is reduce you to a size that's proportional to your frame, though I was told that there is also a limit on how much tissue it is safe to remove in a reduction. For me, that limit was going from a (UK) H/HH to D/DD (this is an estimate since I won't be measured until the swelling has fully gone down, but it was the size they were aiming for). You would have to ask a consultant but I would say NN to B isn't possible. With my surgery, you had to be under a certain BMI but I can't remember what it was. I think it was pretty high. Also any weight gain after surgery will still increase your breast size like it would before surgery. You lose nipple sensation after surgery but it is meant to eventually return (sometimes it does not) and people do report being more/less sensitive than they were before the operation. Also for me the underside where they've actually done all the stitching feels a bit off sensitivity wise but I'm not sure if that's temporary or not.

Other information from my experience: getting referred to getting surgery took me roughly 2 years but that may have been impacted by me being under 18 when I was first referred (I had mine done on the NHS so this could be completely different elsewhere). I required an overnight stay in the hospital. My recovery time is estimated to be 6-8 weeks (bandages came off a little after 1 week) and I'm required to wear sports bras for that entire period, day and night. As of yet there haven't been any complications. For me pain and discomfort went away in the first two weeks and now it only hurts if I'm stretching to reach something or move too suddenly, but how quickly you recover varies from person to person. I'm supposed to meet the surgeon again for a sort of check up in a couple of months. It is still possible to have further surgeries (such as another reduction or mastectomy) if necessary in the future but it wouldn't be as simple as it would be if that area hadn't been already operated on.

that's very very helpful thank you.

Now that you mentioned about bigger sizes, it seems like a reduction is not worth it in radical cases, anyway, can somebody get a BREAST RECONSTRUCTION for gender dysphoria with big breasts then? anybody know how it's done or the average price ?

Archived