Satirical Essay Idea Help?

ReyGraves

So in my english class we wrote an ‘argument essay’ on a topic. I chose transgender bathroom bills and why trans people should be able to use whatever bathroom they darn well please. The next step is to satirize (sp?) it. My teacher said the most common way is to turn the argument for the other side into something ridiculous/exaggerated. However, the only real main argument is sexual assault. And I’m hesitant to try to satirize that as, if not done correctly, can turn into an offensive mess. I’ve thought of a few other ideas but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

• Transgender people have been given a separate bathroom to use. Trans people then decide that instead of trying to get equal treatment  they just start their own society. Transgender clubs, buses, eventually a parallel transgender government. 
  • Show the ridiculousness of making people use the bathroom of their ASAB/sex on “original birth certificate” (actual language used in one of these bills so even if you get the gender marker changed you’d still show the original one.). Thus I’d write a story of attendants standing outside of bathrooms checking birth certificates.
  • Maybe go more sarcastic and talk about how the system is too easy right now so let’s convolute it by figuring out how to make people use the bathroom of their ASAB. It’s such an easy solution to have people carry around their birth certificates and look! There’s now so many more jobs created of people standng outside of bathrooms checking these birth certificates. 
  • A situation where the poice had to respond to a transgender bathroom thing and thus couldn’t respond to the robbery happening (because policing bathrooms is as important if not moreso than stopping robberies and other serious crimes where people get hurt.)
  • A person lamenting how awful it is to pee next to a trans person (Although I’m not sure about this because then I’d be heavily influenced by a huffingtonpost satarical article)

My teacher said we have freedom in our format. Video/art/brochure/etc. I would prefer to stay with writing. Some ideas I had were to write a journal by a cis person mad at the ‘transgenders’. Or a story of any of the above scenarios. 

Any suggestions?

The "safest"  way to make a satire out of the argument is to show trans girls in the guys bathroom and trans men in the girls room (some areas attempted to force this and let me tell you, the photos looked bizarre because some of the trans women were putting on makeup in the mirror in the guys room and trans men were grooming their beard in the girls room).

You can see some examples here: http://www.upworthy.com/heres-what-itll-look-like-if-trans-people-arent-allowed-to-use-the-right-bathroom

A few ideas of mine.

1- Funny or Die did a video showing how ridiculous it would be to enforce a ban (e.g. have federal officers in every toilet checking everyones genitals), so maybe something like that?

2 - Show how "dangerous" trans people can be in a Family Guy style way like they did with homosexuality (e.g. bleed corrisive acid and turn into huge aliens that want to eat you).

3 - Something to talk the "benifits" of the bill such as stronger ecconomy, world peace, end of poverty etc etc, while rejecting the bill will "cause" World War 3,4 AND 5, aliens enslaving Earth, polar ice caps melting etc etc.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:44 AM, Scott1989 said:

3 - Something to talk the "benifits" of the bill such as stronger ecconomy, world peace, end of poverty etc etc, while rejecting the bill will "cause" World War 3,4 AND 5, aliens enslaving Earth, polar ice caps melting etc etc.

I think I’m going to go for a variation of this. 

How it’ll create jobs and boost the economy (because apparently to get a copy of your birth certificate it costs $20?). And it’s completely unreasonable to just let trans people choose the bathroom they want. What would that world look like? Stuff like that, I’m doing it in the form of a transcribed speech. 

Thank you for the idea!!!

Archived