Sizing help for gc2b binders

AcornCarvings

AcornCarvings

Hello! I am getting my first binder and I found a bunch of good reviews for gc2b binders online.

I am having trouble picking a size, though. If I go by their chart, my shoulder width (43 cm) puts me in the medium or large size, but my chest size (average of two measurements, 85 cm) puts me in small.

They say on their chart if in between sizes and with larger shoulders to go for the size corresponding to shoulder width, so should I go for the medium? I want it to bind enough, but I also have asthma so I don't want it to destroy any hope of me breathing.

Does anyone have a gc2b binder and recommend anything about sizing? Any help would be appreciated ^_^

999papercranes

Yes, I’d say to go with the medium. It’s always better to have a binder that is too large (it will still bind, just not as well) rather than one that is too small and can hurt you, especially with your asthma. I was also between sizes for my gc2b binder and I went up a size, and it was a good decision. The smaller size would’ve hurt me in the long run. I hope this helped a little! Stay safe :)

I remember having this sort of discussion with my partner regarding her binder, and it was mentioned that if in doubt, get the larger one.

AcornCarvings

Thanks you both for replying!

I was figuring I'd go with the medium, but my shoulder size puts me in medium/large. I think I'll probably go for the medium, I am a bit extra cautions here.

I am pretty nervous about binding because while I think it would help a lot when I want to look more masculine, the risks involved with it kind of scare me. I have asthma and am an athlete, so I really don't want to f up my lungs, and everywhere on the internet there are things about the negative affects of binding. Also often times I don't hate my chest, I just want binding as an option for the days that I do.

I have the gc2b M-sized binder and I'd say go with M. I got a larger size because I fit S size shirts poorly because of my shoulders even though my chest would be in the XS range. I just didn't want to struggle endlessly with getting it on and off over my shoulders. I still struggle a little so I'd imagine it'd be much worse with size S.

• 1 month later...

sorry for some light necromancing

I'm curious if you ended up getting a binder and which size.  I'm much in the same boat as you (shoulder measure staunchly into large, chest to the higher side of small) and gc2b customer support suggester large but that doesn't seem right--I usually wear men's x-small to small/women's small to medium.

Binders are far more confusing than they should be :blink:

AcornCarvings

Oh, thanks for posting!I did end up getting a binder, in gc2b's medium size. It fits really well! IDK if it binds quite as much as a small would have, but it definitely binds well and I like how it looks, and I feel really good in it! I wear it probably 3-ish days a week.

I do have to wear it only for 4 or 5 hour stretches without my shoulders hurting too much or my breathing being weird, and in the morning I can only wear it for a few hours before taking a binder break. So going for a small would definitely be a bad idea. Idk if large would have fit well at all, though, so I'm really glad I went for the medium. I'm super comfortable in it during those stretches I mentioned, it feels less tight and constricting than a tight sports bra or binding with sports bras or a buff. 

Just some of the usual binder safety tips:

• Don't sleep in it. Even a short half-asleep nap. I accidentally fell half asleep in it the other day, and my shoulders and neck were tense and uncomfortable for a long while after. I think not moving in it combined with maybe a different way of breathing we do when we are asleep makes it really uncomfortable and possibly unsafe.
  • I haven't tried swimming or exercising in it. I don't think it would be a good time, and it would probably be unsafe. (I've heard swimming can be ok, but I'd rather not have to worry about it.) The first week or so I had it I was very out of breath running up the stairs to my third floor dorm room, but now I don't really have a problem with it. I also am better now at taking breaks from it when I need to though.
  • Take breaks when you need them. Honestly, in my experience, even if it is 30 minutes long, letting your chest and shoulders and neck relax goes leagues towards feeling comfortable and confident in a binder.

I hope this helps! Feel free to respond more if you'd like!

• 1 year later...

Hi! 

So I know this is well over a year later, but also remember bodies are built differently, and chest tissue and how it sits on people is different. 

Support told me to get the 2X but that was way too big, and even the XL is a tad big. It's really loose on me and barely binds at all, but I have very saggy, not at all firm chest tissue. 

So, for others at that right on the edge of two sizes point on the size chart, how firm or not chest tissue is, is something to consider. *Mine doesnt even bother my asthma at all, which was my biggest concern. I breathe just as well with it on as with it off, and it never causes me any back pain and even the first few times I wore it it actually felt a bit loose and still does, I can move around really well and I feel like my binder almost moves too much when I'm wearing my half binder, my full tank I can at least have kept in place by my pants. 

*I'm a singer and breathe lower in my rib cage and stomach where there's better breath support and control, even when I'm standing, not my chest where most people tend to breathe if they haven't trained themselves otherwise. This could be a large part of why my binder only ever affects my breathing if I've had it on for much much longer than I should without rest days or I've recently had an asthma attack/am sick with a chest cold. 

This thread has not been active for a long time and is now being locked. If anyone would like to discuss this topic further, feel free to start a new thread about it.

Laurann, 

Moderator for Gender Discussion and (A)Romantic Orientations

Archived