Online Trans Communities?

PerhapsSomeHotCocoa

PerhapsSomeHotCocoa

Hey, I am looking for online trans communities, and how to get involved in those. I've tried out a couple FTM forums but nothing was particularly active. Any suggestions? I'm cool with youtube or instagram, and I would be willing to give twitter a try.

I only have experience with tumblr. I unfollowed most blogs again now, since I found my identity and it's not that *intense* for me anymore. But there are really cool people there!

butterflydreams

I like our little corner here.

Reddit’s r/asktransgender is pretty good too. I believe there’s an r/FTM as well. It’s not as bad as it used to be, but r/asktransgender tends to swing a little more towards trans feminine folks.

Since you mentioned wanting to give twitter a try, I know that many young trans people (although, just a head's up, not all of them are trans; some are cis) usually comment and follow trans Youtuber Chase Ross there, too. So, that might be a possible way of finding other trans people on twitter.

I love Reddit! @butterflydreams are you pretty active there? I’d love to connect on that platform too :) 

butterflydreams
26 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

I love Reddit! @butterflydreams are you pretty active there? I’d love to connect on that platform too :) 

I used to be. I’ve seen too many terf blogs targeting r/asktransgender. So I like to keep a low profile there. I lurk a lot.

Calligraphette_Coe

I can only speak to the transfeminine ones, and all the ones I ever read were pretty much only accepting of people who were transitioning physically. It pretty much felt like 'androgynous No-HRT AMABs need not apply'. Some of the hurtful things I was subjected to were unbelievable.

Maybe that has changed.  One hopes, anyway.  And places like thin one have sprung up and beaten back the unforgiveness for not being like everyone else. So there is that. But the well for me has been poisoned forever. While it's Christmas and Thanksgiving for some, to me it will always feel like Ground Hog day on Mars- Cold and Icy.  :(

butterflydreams
2 hours ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

Maybe that has changed.  One hopes, anyway.

I think it has. At least in reddit communities anyway. They had some problems not that long ago from people saying r/asktransgender was too MtF-centric, when that just happened to be the people who showed up there. There were never, to my knowledge, any instances of FtM or non binary people getting shit on there. 

It pretty much felt like 'androgynous No-HRT AMABs need not apply'. Some of the hurtful things I was subjected to were unbelievable.

I think this kind of attitude is strongly frowned upon in next-gen communities like reddit, and here. I can think of some holdover communities...won't name names publicly...where this kind of thing still might fly, but even there you have people stepping in and calling it out a little bit. I think it's definitely a generational thing and younger generations won't stand for it. As much as I may dislike the sometimes overly wishy-washy take on gender, they do get a few things right.

nerdperson777

I'm in a non-binary transition group on Facebook "NB Physical Transition Discussion Group".  (Did not expect that to be a link.)  It says it's a secret group and adding people requires mod or admin approval.  Mostly people ask questions about hormones or surgery, saying that they don't want certain effects from whatever they're looking for, so they have a dilemma there.  Many posts seem to be about testosterone so there was a civil war a while back about there being too many AFAB posts, and it alienates AMAB people.

The other resource I have, I'm in a trans IRC chatroom.  Most of us are just there to hang out, and newbies occasionally do come in for advice.  So I'm in there mostly to goof off.  There is a heavy trans girl presence in there so I'm talking to girls most of the time.  Sometimes I check the chat and I find random conversations about not trans-related topics.  Then there's a support channel for people to vent about their miseries and woes that would be too heavy for just chatting.

Calligraphette_Coe
53 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

I think it has. At least in reddit communities anyway. They had some problems not that long ago from people saying r/asktransgender was too MtF-centric, when that just happened to be the people who showed up there. There were never, to my knowledge, any instances of FtM or non binary people getting shit on there. 

I think this kind of attitude is strongly frowned upon in next-gen communities like reddit, and here. I can think of some holdover communities...won't name names publicly...where this kind of thing still might fly, but even there you have people stepping in and calling it out a little bit. I think it's definitely a generational thing and younger generations won't stand for it. As much as I may dislike the sometimes overly wishy-washy take on gender, they do get a few things right.

I want to believe. But then, even here the other year, I got deiiberately misgendered and my idenity stripped from me in a very insulting way when I shared my story of being sexually assaulted. I think the phrase was something like "....just another AMAB on the internet...." yada, yada, yada.

That really hurt, especially to get it here. And the person never apologized for the hurt they caused. Once bitten, twice fried, I guess. So I would NEVER go to some place like reddit, and I will NEVER get fully out of the closet until I am able to get away from the conservatives I'm forced to work for so I can afford to go a doctor that will never in a million years prescribe HRT. Even then, I'm not sure I'm up for the psychic pain these sort of episodes cause. I'm more than satisfied with the PTSD cutting I already do to cope, why go looking for triggers?

Sorry to be so negative, but I feel the way I feel because of what I've been through. Hopefully, YMMV.

I want to believe...But then, even here the other year, I got deiiberately misgendered and my idenity stripped from me in a very insulting way when I shared my story of being sexually assaulted...That really hurt, especially to get it here. And the person never apologized for the hurt they caused. Once bitten, twice fried, I guess. So I would NEVER go to some place like reddit...even then, I'm not sure I'm up for the psychic pain these sort of episodes cause. I'm more than satisfied with the PTSD cutting I already do to cope, why go looking for triggers?

Sorry to be so negative, but I feel the way I feel because of what I've been through. Hopefully, YMMV.

I've seen that on certain Reddit forums; that's why I prefer to mostly lurk around places, rather than participating.

There's no need to apologize; I was relieved you mentioned it, because it's easy to feel alone or as though you're the only person who's been through something like that. 

I like the YouTube Trans community; there seems to be a lot less arguing there, compared to other forums on the internet, and more supportive LGBT+ people. There's a group of North American trans Youtubers who live in the U.S. and Canada, who do know each other and occasionally visit one another in different cities. So, perhaps, other trans people here might find that community safe and welcoming to be a part of.

Archived