FaerieFate

Little Mentions 2018

Topic will be automatically locked at 06:00 AM

Autumn Season

Ted Talk "What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Love | Mandy Len Catron": "But they also work well for other kinds of relationships. Short-term, casual, polyamorous, non-monogamous, asexual." [12:03] Video:

OptimisticPessimist

Just Me posted this video on their Facebook. Avoid the comments.

UK soap Doctor's had an Asexual character in an episode recently but i've not been ab;e to find any articles on this. I think it's been mentioned in the show before aswell. 

• Like 2

iff
On 03/01/2018 at 8:01 PM, iff said:

Asexuality was featured in the glossary to the gender games: the problem with men and women from someone who has been both by Juno Dawson 

A problem being definition used in the glossary is

Other words featured in glossary included demisexual and sapiosexual.

I just got the book yesterday so I have yet to read it for further mentions.

Having just finished this superb and wonderfully funny kind of biography, there were 4 mentions of asexuality as well as the one in glossary.

The fourth was in the last chapter about how "pansexual, demisexual, asexual, genderqueer, genderfluid, and so many more" are "creating their own tribes - first online and increasingly in the real world"

OptimisticPessimist

Asexuality discussion on BBC Radio Bristol. You may need an account to sign in or may be able to use other social media to sign in. The section on Asexuality starts at 2:10:55.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p065wz7g

• Like 1

Scott1989

Video on Youtube from Ash Hardell who talks about how (some) asexuals have sex (which does feature asexuals giving personal experiance, may not be work safe but no nudity, unless I missed it).

DawnofDean
On 5/25/2018 at 6:02 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

Asexuality discussion on BBC Radio Bristol. You may need an account to sign in or may be able to use other social media to sign in. The section on Asexuality starts at 2:10:55.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p065wz7g

Hey,

Hard to believe, but this was me on BBC Radio Bristol (had such fun and hope to be back asap!!).

Got plenty of photos and had such fun!

-Dean :D

• Like 2

OptimisticPessimist

@DawnofDean You did great! Can I ask how it all came about?

spazzticsoda
1 hour ago, DawnofDean said:

Hey,

Hard to believe, but this was me on BBC Radio Bristol (had such fun and hope to be back asap!!).

Got plenty of photos and had such fun!

-Dean :D

Your voice is very lovely :D!

Also I didn't have to sign on or anything to listen in.

Plectrophenax

In the context of Pride Month, one of Switzerland's two fairly well-read free daily newspapers featured a double-page on LGBT topics, and interestingly, most prominently, an article about asexuality (though, as you'll see, it's also, in a way, about aromanticism). Specifically, it's about a 19-year old who intends (intended) to represent asexuality at the Zurich Pride Fesitval on the 16th of June.

Leaving it at just that seems a little too terse, so I'll attempt to translate it to the best of my ability (if your mastery of translating German-to-English surpasses mine, please feel free to offer corrections or suggestions).

---

Lucia (19) has no interest in sex

different -> In Lucia's life, intimacy doesn't play a role. The woman from Basel is asexual. For a long time she has felt pressured because of this, felt alone.

During first relationships one collects first sexual experiences. This is also what Lucia R. (19), a grammar school absolvent from Basel, thought when a good friend raved about her love stories. At the time Lucia was also in a relationship, but for her it was different. She always felt uncomfortable with the subject. She felt pressured.

And suddenly it dawned on Lucia that something went differently with her. She didn't seem to feel the same as her female friends. Then she came across the term 'asexuality' on the internet. And she quickly realised: She is asexual.

Asexuality is by no means rooted in a traumatic experience, as is often falsly asserted. "Asexual means, that one does't have sexual feelings towards others", says Lucia R. to 'Blick am Abend' (the newspaper). This doesn't mean that one isn't biologically able to, nor that one doesn't have a libido. "It's based on the lack of sexual attraction", she says.

How distinct asexuality manifests itself is different from person to person. This isn't a differentiation between black and white, but rather a spectrum. Lucia sees herself as being closer to the outer end of the spectrum: "But one can never really know for certain."

There are, for example, people who only feel sexual attraction towards people, to whom they already developed a close connection. "For a while I thought that about myself too. But later I realised that it didn't apply to me", says Lucia.

At first she caused insecurity in the people around her. Again and again she heard: "You'll find the right one eventually!" or "This is just a phase, you'll grow out of it!". The opposite happened. She is happy with her life as asexual and doesn't miss anything.

In principle, Lucia perceives our society as over-sexualised. "Everywhere everything's always about sex and relationships: in the media, in films, in books", says Lucia. There is hardly any attempt at informing about people who perceive the world differently - for whom sex, love and relationships don't matter. "Thus asexuals feel as though there's something wrong with them. But that isn't true", she says.

She thinks that visibility is particularly important for this small minority. Lucia would have wished for herself to have had more information on asexuality available. "That's why I find events like the Zurich Pride Festival particularly important", she says. This year, she will participate in the big march of the 16th of June for the first time, advocating for asexuals.

---

I don't find the article particularly earth-shattering, but it's nice to see the subject addressed nonetheless, and it bears noting that, due to the newspaper in question being read by a sizable amount of people, it will reach a significant audience. Enough, at least, to have made me consider posting it here.

Below is the link to the German online article. Be warned, though; there are a ton of ads and links that made my computer lag like crazy.

https://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/zuerich/die-baslerin-ist-asexuell-lucia-19-will-keinen-sex-id8478177.html

Janus DarkFox

The Tumblr bloggers building a canon of asexual history

A blog noting tumblrs recent efforts to find 18th and 19th century feminist activists what where likely asexual at a time there where no word for it, eventually details AVEN.