FaerieFate

Little Mentions 2018

Topic will be automatically locked at 06:00 AM

FaerieFate

This thread is for any ace related stories that might not deserve their own thread. 

Shieldmaiden WinterDragon

About 3 years ago I was going to the cafe I always go to, I hung out with the new girl, she was the one who opened the cafe that day since I went there more often after she showed up, we were talking about her and intimacy and I stated that I never want it or to even try it, her first words were "You're asexual, and that's ok, I still except you for who you are" from that day on both her and I have been greta friends. This was in 2015, I can not ask for a better friend than her.

• Like 2

iff

Asexuality was featured in the glossary to the gender games: the problem with men and women from someone who has been both by Juno Dawson 

A problem being definition used in the glossary is

someone with characteristically low sex drive or little interest in sex. Can also describe lack of sexual orientation

Other words featured in glossary included demisexual and sapiosexual.

I just got the book yesterday so I have yet to read it for further mentions.

FaerieFate
22 minutes ago, iff said:

Asexuality was featured in the glossary to the gender games: the problem with men and women from someone who has been both by Juno Dawson 

A problem being definition used in the glossary is

Other words featured in glossary included demisexual and sapiosexual.

I just got the book yesterday so I have yet to read it for further mentions.

As a sapioromantic I am happy sapio is catching on! 

OptimisticPessimist

PopSugar shared this video on their facebook and youtube pages.

Spoiler

• Like 2

scarletlatitude

Several little mentions

1) http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2018-01-27/love-your-child-unconditionally 

We were mentioned as the A in LGBTQIA!

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Intersex and Asexual (LGBTQIA) community

2) https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/womens-marches-2-0-doing-the-heavy-lifting-for-real-change/

We were also mentioned as the A here!

In Seattle, we march in allegiance to the unity principles of the Women’s March, in support of women’s rights, racial equity, human rights, civil rights, disability rights, LGBTQIA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual people) rights, workers’ rights, immigrant rights, indigenous people’s rights, and reproductive, social and environmental justice

3) When I google asexual and look at "news", it shows AVEN as a side ad. :) 

4) http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/22/dc-comics-fans-petitioning-to-make-the-jo

The Joker might be asexual? :o 

Some users made the case for Joker being asexual — "Joker is too trollish to be sure about what is really going on with him," wrote JBatmanFan05 — while others made the case for the villain being "ambiguously gay."

• Like 2

OptimisticPessimist

The online magazine TenEighty posted an article for LGBTAIQ+ month on their Twitter page, it features the YouTuber AmeliaAce, mentions Asexuality and links to one of her videos. She is also featured in the photo in the tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TenEightyUK/status/959165327199358976

http://teneightymagazine.com/2018/02/01/lgbtq-advocates-making-youtube-a-more-accepting-place/

• Like 2

OptimisticPessimist

Scott1989

Not 100% sure if it should be discussed in it's own thread but will throw here and let someone steal my thunder if it should

Corporations shouldn't get to decide who is and isn't queer

(about companies erasure in pride events, focusing ANZ bank saying last year LGBTQI expanded to LGBTIA with A being Ally and focusing on allies, erasing asexuals and agenders)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/19/corporations-shouldnt-get-to-decide-who-is-and-isnt-queer

• Like 1

spazzticsoda

This thread makes me really happy. I don't really keep track of this stuff (I am wanting to get more active), so I am thankful. :) Keep being great.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

A podcast from the site Writing Alchemy focused on writing inclusive fairytales, and also discussion of representation of marginalised people, has a story which is entirely about the experience of an ace prince trying to avoid his mother's pressure to marry-it's super cute and I love their podcast. Episodes 4 and 5 are the ones I'm talking about. ^_^

• Like 1

Sandra B
On 2/19/2018 at 10:03 PM, Scott1989 said:

Not 100% sure if it should be discussed in it's own thread but will throw here and let someone steal my thunder if it should

Corporations shouldn't get to decide who is and isn't queer

(about companies erasure in pride events, focusing ANZ bank saying last year LGBTQI expanded to LGBTIA with A being Ally and focusing on allies, erasing asexuals and agenders)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/19/corporations-shouldnt-get-to-decide-who-is-and-isnt-queer

Although I know A stands for asexuality, not allies, I personally believe Asexuals should be separate LGBT. Probably a hugely controversial statement to make, but I stand by it. LGBT is still based on who they are sexually attract to - whereas asexuality is who you are not sexually attracted to. It's a different mindset. We should represent ourselves. We may be small in numbers but we can still make a difference to the world at large and not every asexual considers themselves queer, I for one do not, and I know of others who don't. I am a heteroromantic asexual - other title, straight asexual. I understand we are tagged onto them because we are small in numbers and it is to give us visibility, but I feel we still need to be separate and in our own right, especially to be taken more seriously. Oh and I have a disability and was featured in the Daily Mirror online in 2016, telling my own personal asexual story - which is very unique https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/confessions-cougar-repulsed-sex-dreams-9456045

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
18 hours ago, Sandra B said:

Although I know A stands for asexuality, not allies, I personally believe Asexuals should be separate LGBT. Probably a hugely controversial statement to make, but I stand by it. LGBT is still based on who they are sexually attract to - whereas asexuality is who you are not sexually attracted to. It's a different mindset. We should represent ourselves. We may be small in numbers but we can still make a difference to the world at large and not every asexual considers themselves queer, I for one do not, and I know of others who don't. I am a heteroromantic asexual - other title, straight asexual. I understand we are tagged onto them because we are small in numbers and it is to give us visibility, but I feel we still need to be separate and in our own right, especially to be taken more seriously. Oh and I have a disability and was featured in the Daily Mirror online in 2016, telling my own personal asexual story - which is very unique https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/confessions-cougar-repulsed-sex-dreams-9456045

Honestly though I just think the asexual community is like the alternative to the assumed-to-be kind of sexualised core LGBT+ scene, and that helps a lot of people. Everyone from LGBT+ kids to sexual abuse survivors to again, people who like the split attraction model, to trans people having a shitty time in the lesbian community might not quite fit into their communities, so I'd very much like the ace community to become more recognised within the LGBT+ community so we can help with the fight against sexualisation of non-cishet identities. Especially since if we fight for all kinds of ace/aro rep, having images of asexual homoromantic or ace aro trans people or whatever makes it clear that the media has no excuse to act like people are too young to read about other identities and helps our community have representation, while other communities which intersect get to have representation which isn't sexualised the way all other mainstream LGBT+ films and such usually are. Honestly it's so frustrating, feeling like I'd like to see movies with lesbians but also being uncomfortable with sex scenes. Ditto for when trans people finally get rep-it's still usually sexual and oriented around some love stories.

Sandra B
10 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

Honestly though I just think the asexual community is like the alternative to the assumed-to-be kind of sexualised core LGBT+ scene, and that helps a lot of people. Everyone from LGBT+ kids to sexual abuse survivors to again, people who like the split attraction model, to trans people having a shitty time in the lesbian community might not quite fit into their communities, so I'd very much like the ace community to become more recognised within the LGBT+ community so we can help with the fight against sexualisation of non-cishet identities. Especially since if we fight for all kinds of ace/aro rep, having images of asexual homoromantic or ace aro trans people or whatever makes it clear that the media has no excuse to act like people are too young to read about other identities and helps our community have representation, while other communities which intersect get to have representation which isn't sexualised the way all other mainstream LGBT+ films and such usually are. Honestly it's so frustrating, feeling like I'd like to see movies with lesbians but also being uncomfortable with sex scenes. Ditto for when trans people finally get rep-it's still usually sexual and oriented around some love stories.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint x

Cicero
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

Interview with the Actress who plays Liv in Emmerdale who are doing Asexuality storyline. The last sentence is a bit worrying.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a851574/emmerdale-spoilers-isobel-steele-liv-flaherty-asexuality/

Although I like how she says she was 'quite well informed' about asexuality anyway. Not sure if she meant she already knew about it or that she'd been prepped enough that she didn't have to do much extra research. I hope the former!

• Like 1

Sandra B
On 3/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, Cicero said:

Although I like how she says she was 'quite well informed' about asexuality anyway. Not sure if she meant she already knew about it or that she'd been prepped enough that she didn't have to do much extra research. I hope the former!

Hi Cicero, thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Yeah - that last part of the sentence, "nothing is set in stone". At the end of the day, they are going to dramatise the character and it wouldn't surprise me if they change her asexuality over time. They could make her go from aromantic, to demi-romantic for example. Not everyone will be happy in the asexual community with her particular portrayal of asexuality as we are all so very different. I am really happy they are getting the word out there though, this is amazing for us. And no doubt Eastenders and Coronation Street, will follow suit. So they may cover other identities of the asexual spectrum. 

Sandra

Quintus Crinis
On 14/03/2018 at 7:03 PM, Sandra B said:

Hi Cicero, thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Yeah - that last part of the sentence, "nothing is set in stone". At the end of the day, they are going to dramatise the character and it wouldn't surprise me if they change her asexuality over time. They could make her go from aromantic, to demi-romantic for example. Not everyone will be happy in the asexual community with her particular portrayal of asexuality as we are all so very different. I am really happy they are getting the word out there though, this is amazing for us. And no doubt Eastenders and Coronation Street, will follow suit. So they may cover other identities of the asexual spectrum. 

Sandra

Have to be honest, I'm less concerned about that last sentance in the context. I read it as saying "Liv isn't sure so doesn't want to 'impact other people' by coming out in case she  does turn out to be heterosexual and just 'a late bloomer'". 

I.E. I don't think she's saying that Emmerdale will drop Liv's asexuality, but I think the actress was trying to reflect on Liv's confusion in the context of struggling to talk to her brother?

• Like 2

RoseGoesToYale

Maybe, just maybe there might finally be an ace/aro representation on Grey's Anatomy? In the most recent episode, "Old Scars, Future Hearts", Dr. Marie Cerone is talking to Meredith and says "I never married, I never cared much for romantic relationships..." Unfortunately there are no more details.

• Like 1

Sandra B
7 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Maybe, just maybe there might finally be an ace/aro representation on Grey's Anatomy? In the most recent episode, "Old Scars, Future Hearts", Dr. Marie Cerone is talking to Meredith and says "I never married, I never cared much for romantic relationships..." Unfortunately there are no more details.

Pleas keep me posted on this x

Autumn Season

12:32-12:37

And if that means you're happiest having no sex at all, that's perfect too!

Quintus Crinis
On 28/03/2018 at 11:33 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

Interesting to see the different ways we are represented in TV - here's to hoping there will be more for a future list.

On 29/03/2018 at 3:33 AM, T-bonekid said:

There is a asexual character in a popular soap in the uk, however I don't watch it so don't know much about it! http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a850070/emmerdale-liv-flaherty-asexuality-storyline-praised-kisses-gabby-thomas/

I've only recently started watching it (after the previous article was posted here) and the asexuality storyline has taken a bit of a backseat but there have been a couple of hints towards it (and perhaps a QPR with her friend) - largely through implications of the confusion and isolation that can happen with not being able to fit "straight", "gay" or "bi".

Cicero
On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

Love that the article mentioned Gerald from Shortland Street - probably the first confirmed asexual character on TV. I remember the excitement on AVEN when the original episodes aired but frustratingly the character tends to be forgotten these days when lists like this are made!

Although if I'm being pedantic, he didn't have a child and was technically biromantic rather than heteroromantic (his on-screen relationships were with women but the word was used!).

Scott1989

MIght not be the 1st to mention it since it's on a tv channel mocked for showing other channel repeats, but look what I saw on the show "Into the Fire" (Episode 1) which is about British Firefighters:

tpHcAh1.jpg?1

Shots are from Birmingham Pride 2017 . No actual mention of asexuality but 2 flags is pretty good for a non LGBT+ documentary. Context is firefighters taking part in the pride march.

• Like 1