Why do people think it’s “Tragic” to die alone?

To Each Their Own

Maintain clockwork communication with someone who is instructed to either stop by to check on you or call the local police department for the same thing after a set amount of silence?

Also don't die in the middle of nowhere.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I don't really know. Everyone has to die alone but we still need social connection to feel good and safe, so I guess this might be a reason. Many people are afraid dying. Being surrounded by others makes things easier, in terms of emotional support or empathy. Even I would like to say "farewell" to those who used to walk with me if ever possible just without yearning for it either.

Lord Jade Cross

For the same reason:

being a virgin is sad

not having a SO/partner is sad

not having kids is sad

not having the latest phone is sad

not having a sports car is sad

not owning that $500,000 estate is sad

Basically, humans asign all sorts of bullshitory values to every single aspect in life and then, because they themselves are so insecure of their own ideals, need to have everyone else believe them.

People dont seem to grasp the concept that everyone is alone from the day they are born until the day they die. Thinking that somehow, they will be able to die with company is an illusion. They may die among company but even in a room full of people you go and they stay, thats how it goes; and in many cases, death catches people off guard.

Ive been to quiet a few funerals lately and I can tell you not a single one of them was the romantic "I get to leave this world with my loved ones around me" one died during the early hours of the morning, having gotten up perfectly fine, another was going to see his girlfriend and some idiot on a car hit his bike and he died minutes afterwards, another one just lifted his gazed, smiled and passed away when he saw his sister.

Another one had just gotten out of surgery, he was in good health and doctors gave the ok to go home and rest. Got in his car, and died not even having gotten out of the lobby pick up lane. Another one was in the hospital, standard check up, everything checked out, suddenly had a seizure and died. I could go on but I think the point is clear.

You dont get to die in the romatic notion we have set up in life. You die and thats pretty much the gist of it.

Maybe if people accepted that they will die (which is not quite the same as saying "I know everyone dies at some point"), there wouldnt be the fabricated need to seek reassurance.

Like others have pointed out, it's not 'dying' alone that they mean, it's 'living' alone in your old age. So it is a missnomer. 

If you have good friends to spend time with socializing when you are 70, you are not alone. It's just they aren't living in your house.

Also, most people idealize dying in peaceful sleep. If it's a room full of loved ones that means a long drawn out death (and hense not the ideal).

If a married female points put that you will 'die alone', let her know she will likely spend 20 plus years alone after her husband dies. Or something equally morbid. I don't see males making that statement much, but I'm sure you can thing of a rebuff. 

"because they themselves are so insecure of their own ideals, need to have everyone else believe them." 

That's a bit sinister and pessimistic, humans naturally assign their own views and emotional responses as being the same as everyone's. So, when they run up against someone's view that is completely opposite they have a hard time believing it. This is something only overcome by emotional maturity, learning that others have their own perspectives and feelings on a topic. To that person it probably is a horrible tragity to not have a large family to be involved in in their golden years. But you also calling their values bullshit is more of the same behavior. (Does that make sense). What I'm saying is, someone else's imature, uninformed opinion doesn't excuse the same from others. You don't have to change their view of 'lonely', and you can defend your own view without deriding theirs back.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:16 PM, Hermit Advocate said:

Dying alone with a bunch of cats is my endgame. 

On 1/1/2018 at 1:28 PM, Mirae said:

I got the same old line from a younger one once : "but do you wanna end up all alone, surrounded by cats ?" - the cats, of course, never forget them in a depiction of a spinster ^^ 

Anybody see this and think of this?

On 3/19/2018 at 12:20 PM, Correner said:

Also don't die in the middle of nowhere.

If I can't die alone in my home, I would rather die out in the middle of nowhere, in fact, I would be just fine remaining dead and undisturbed in a remote corner of the earth.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, Jade Cross said:

You dont get to die in the romatic notion we have set up in life. You die and thats pretty much the gist of it.

Maybe if people accepted that they will die (which is not quite the same as saying "I know everyone dies at some point"), there wouldnt be the fabricated need to seek reassurance.

Why is that such a hard thing for people to grasp?  Every thing and everybody dies.  And most of us don't get to set the terms or conditions of how or when that will happen.    

The not dying in the middle of nowhere is a response to an inquiry on how to ensure your body is found in a reasonable amount of time.

Lord Jade Cross
18 hours ago, Zoaea said:

"because they themselves are so insecure of their own ideals, need to have everyone else believe them." 

That's a bit sinister and pessimistic, humans naturally assign their own views and emotional responses as being the same as everyone's. So, when they run up against someone's view that is completely opposite they have a hard time believing it.

Thats putting it mildly and triple sugar coating it on top

Lord Jade Cross
19 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Why is that such a hard thing for people to grasp?  Every thing and everybody dies.  And most of us don't get to set the terms or conditions of how or when that will happen.    

A by-product of self awareness grossly enhanced by arrogance

I don't think it's so much the dying alone bit, but what people really don't want is for their body to be left unfound for ages, and maybe their pets abandoned 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes, @Skycaptain, I'd worry my old girl would starve, thankfully, I have my daughter who would catch on!

I've watched so many people die. As a nurse, it's there every day, but one thing I see every time, is that no matter how many people are around the dying person, it's only the person who is making that journey and everybody dies alone.

Anyway, like it's been said before, that common saying is more related to living alone not the last 5 mins of your life.

Archived