• I don't care
  2. 2. Desktop OS?

• Linux
    • Windows
    • OS X
    • Unix
    • Something else
    • I don't care
  3. 3. Best smartphone manufacturer(s)? Pick up to 5.

• Google
    • Essential
    • Huawei/ Honor
    • Motorola
    • Samsung
    • LG
    • HTC
    • ZTE
    • Razer
    • HMD Global (Nokia)
    • ASUS
    • Xiaomi
    • Oppo
    • OnePlus
    • Blackberry
    • Something else (Please specify in comments)
    • Apple
    • I don't care as long as it's Android.
    • I don't care as long as it's Windows Phone.
    • I don't care at all.
  4. 4. Best Linux Distro (Pick up to 3)

• Ubuntu
    • LinuxMint
    • Debian
    • Fedora
    • CentOS/ Red Hat
    • openSUSE/ SUSE Linux
    • Mageia/ Mandriva
    • ArchLinux
    • Slackware Linux
    • Puppy Linux
    • Something else (specify in comment)
    • IDK
    • i don't use Linux
  5. 5. Smart home, yay or nay?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Undecided
  6. 6. Do you like technology?

• Mostly Yes
    • Mostly No
    • Not sure

This poll is closed to new votes

I meant to do checkboxes instead of multiple choice. Sorry.

46 minutes ago, Abcde Boldt said:

I meant to do checkboxes instead of multiple choice. Sorry.

Is it just q3 and q4 multiple. 

I can edit the poll to make them so?

40 minutes ago, festiff said:

No, questions 1 and 6 also need to allow missing answers (is that what checkboxes instead of multiple choice does?).

Missing options / my answers

1. I don't have one (and care deeply).

3. Get you behind me. (aka: I don't have one (and care deeply).)

4. I don't care (I DO know)

6. Mu (aka: NaN / invalid question)

On 12/31/2017 at 4:01 PM, festiff said:

Sure.

5 minutes ago, Abcde Boldt said:

Sure.

Done :)

Also my answer were

1: android

2: windows

3: I don't care as long as it's android

4: I don't use Linux

5: nay

6: mostly yes

2 hours ago, festiff said:

Done :)

Also my answer were

1: android

2: windows

3: I don't care as long as it's android

4: I don't use Linux

5: nay

6: mostly yes

Thanks. My answers were

1: Android

2: Linux

3: Huawei/ Honor for my price range, but if I were spending more money it would be Razer. I checked Huawei/ Honor.

4: Ubuntu. That's the only one I have experience yet, but I would like to branch out (only problem is I'm using a shared computer)

5: yay

6: Mostly Yes

For private use (which is also what I voted for):
Android
Windows
Huawei
Ubuntu
Yay
Mostly Yes

However, for work I much prefer Linux (again, preferably Ubuntu) over Windows.

Surprised not to see Sony in the smartphone options 

Android, Windows, boring 💤 

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Surprised not to see Sony in the smartphone options 

Android, Windows, boring 💤 

Since we're at it: In case you edit the poll, maybe add Vivo! :D

I know they just slumped back to the 6th largest smartphone manufacturer (from 5), but that's still way ahead of almost everyone in that list! ;D (To be exact, everyone except Samsung, Apple, Huawei, OPPO, and Xiamoi, in that order)

I suppose some brands aren't popular where the OP resides, there are a few mentioned which don't seem to exist in Britain 

J. van Deijck

1. Mobile OS?

I checked Android because I use Android. I'm a good android :D

2. Desktop OS?

My computer has Windows 10. Not that I am particularly happy for this :P

3. Best smartphone manufacturer(s)?

Samsung for me. I only had the chance to try 3 brands, it was Samsung, Huawei and LG. Out of these Samsung was the best for me (I use Samsung Galaxy J3 now), and LG was definitely the worst.

4. Best Linux Distro?

I've been using Ubuntu a lot when I was in high school and I know it was years ago, :lol: but this is my choice.

5. Smart home, yay or nay?

Undecided. It's both tempting and somewhat scary.

6. Do you like technology?

Well, as a cybergoth and sci-fi geek, I said mostly yes. :D

everywhere and nowhere

I use a rather old computer operating system (Windows 7, despite my computer being quite new - 1 year old) and a very old mobile system (my mobile is a 2000 Nokia with a black-and-green display). Generally, I call myself a technological conservative: I use technology because I need to, but if I have a choice, I usually prefer sticking to old technologies I already know.

At school and university times I used to say that I don't like learning, but I like knowing. In case of technology I neither particularly enjoy learning new technologies nor think of technology as something that I should know well.

Fantastic Name

1. iOS, despite the fact that trying to do anything remotely productive with it is absolute torture if you're a nerd like me. Just let me see the filesystem, dammit! I'm not an idiot!

2. I happen to use Linux (specifically Ubuntu), OS X, and Windows each on a pretty regular basis. I dunno. I'm weird like that.

3. None of the above. Unpopular opinion: I don't like smartphones at all. They're bulky and full of unecessary things I'm never going to touch. I wish someone would make a feature phone (look it up) that's actually usable in America. Most of them are exclusively compatible with 2G networks, which are almost nonexistent in the States these days.

4. Ubuntu, definitely. Debian by extension.

5. Not if my privacy is being compromised, no. 

6. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It all depends on the situation. More often than not, yes. I usually prefer dated or obsolete technology to modern technology.

I don't care much about the company that makes my stuff, as long as it works

I don't want a smart home, they seem kinda confusing... though I guess it would be useful to be able to tell after I left if I left the lights on...  

and all in all, I think technology is good and useful 

I have a mixed attitude towards technology (selected "not sure" for the "do you like technology" question). I don't own a smartphone, and rarely carry a phone at all. On the other hand, my job is mostly scientific data analysis programming (so I have an above-average number of supercomputer clusters at my disposal).

I am a Luddite in the classic sense: I evaluate technology through the lens of whether it empowers me, or enslaves me to Wall Street oligarchs. I don't want technologies to integrate advertising and propaganda into every corner of my life --- no social media, no smartphones, no "smart home" espionage devices. I want to bend algorithms to serve my will, not vice-versa.

Linux choices: my work laptop is Fedora 23; home is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS; data acquisition system is Centos 7; computer clusters are TOSS3 (RedHat-based) --- I'm not strongly tied to any one distribution, so long as its package repositories are reasonably up-to-date. I like the Fedora 23 desktop environment best of the ones I've recently used; I'll wait for Ubuntu 18.04 to decide where my home computer will end up.

18 hours ago, praetorius said:

Linux choices: my work laptop is Fedora 23; home is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS; data acquisition system is Centos 7; computer clusters are TOSS3 (RedHat-based) --- I'm not strongly tied to any one distribution, so long as its package repositories are reasonably up-to-date. I like the Fedora 23 desktop environment best of the ones I've recently used; I'll wait for Ubuntu 18.04 to decide where my home computer will end up.

heyyyyyy there's my fedora buddy!!! I use it for work as well.

I kind of wish I didn't own a smartphone. However, I now don't use my laptop much anymore, so I suppose it's a trade-off.

I dislike most smart technology. It's cool for an afternoon until you realise that those voice command bots are always listening and send what they hear you say back to the company's servers. LG got in trouble for that a couple of years ago with one of their tvs. It feels like surveillance you invite into your home. And there's the added risk of identity theft or other fraud. The more real info about you out there, the easier it is for others to take advantage. It's one of the many reasons I also don't use Facebook.

For OS, I actively use Windows, mac OS, and Ubuntu.

Undecided on a smart home, because if I'm going to have something automated, I kind of want to do it myself.

RoseGoesToYale

1. No OS, ideally should be dumb phone

2. Windows

3. Motorola Brick Phone

4. Ubuntu/Mint

5. No, because this:

Spoiler

635958152978982993-470411937_smarthouse-

6. I only like the old stuff

1. Mobile OS?

Android - on my phone I have 7.1 version and it works good right now

2. Desktop OS?

I have to linux and windows 10. Windows I only use to play games and working on programs that I can't on linux. Linux is more faster system tha windows for me.

3. Best smartphone manufacturer(s)

I have only Samsung phones and they don't fit my needs perfectly. They were old models wich were to slow. Right now I use Motorola Moto X Play and for my needs this phone fit so well 

4. Best Linux Distro?
I use only ubuntu and I don't have comparisions to other distros

Nay Idon't think so. It is some kind of sacry

Hm...Yes for sure only If we use it wise. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm a bit of a technophobe, I think a 'smart home' must be a bit like having HAL run the show, or like the post apocalyptic house in the Ray Bradbury story....

I very much prefer Android for reliability with battery life, and easy to use interface that is open sourced. 

I think Samsung is exceptional, but there are many great phones. HTC is decent as well, though it easily breaks if dropped.

SpaceDustbin

1. Mobile OS?

Android

2. Desktop OS?

Windows

3. Best smartphone manufacturer(s)?

Motorola, how I love them. They have amazing budget phones, or at least... phones in mid-range prices (€120-180) with really good specs, and they can survive a drop down the toilet and multiple drops on the street, even without extra casing (...unless you drop it face-down from your couch, whoops).

I never want to spend more than €200 on a phone, so because of the price-quality, Motorola is now my go to brand (plus the fact that some of their phones support dual sim + micro sd card, which is A+ )

4. Best Linux Distro?

Don't use it. Have at some point used some Ubuntu version, but that's a while ago now.

Nope. There's only so much technology and communication I allow in my house :lol:

I think I do, yeah

• 10 months later...

@Boldt

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived