20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a virgin?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If no, was the person you lost your virginity to

• Female
    • Male
    • Non-binary
  3. 3. Was your partner older or younger than you?

• Older
    • Younger
    • Don't know
  4. 4. Was your partner a virgin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  5. 5. If no, in the previous question, did this intimidate you into thinking the other person knew more about sex than yourself?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

Looking for some info about something I've been thinking about lately. When I was in my late 30s I was dating a girl who was in her mid 20s. She wasn't a virgin, mind you she said that she'd only had intercourse four times. I was and still am. When she asked me at the end of our relationship, if I could see us having sex, I promptly said no. This was before I knew about asexuality and was bothered immensely about this. Afterwards I wondered if one of my reasons was that if we had had sex, I couldn't see how it would've been anything less than disastrous seeing as I was a virgin with no experience with any part of sexual activity. 

This also describes that was going on in my head at the time:

Also, since people have to vote in every question, virgins won't be able to vote because they can't answer any of the other questions. As a further reminder, transgendered isn't a gender. Maybe put "non-binary" instead.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Warrior said:

I don't think you got the wording right on no. 2. Should be "If no"?

Reworded the question and answers.

Lord Jade Cross

It isnt clear what your exact question is but I think I can guess a few possibilities.

If you're question is if anyone has gone through a similar situation, the answer is: Plenty; not everyone gets to live the fairytale version of first time sex being with another inexperienced partner but someone turning out fantastic. Its more likely that 2 virgins have a disastrous first time than one partner whos a virgin and one that isnt. Although a partner who has had sex before isnt magically a sex guru if they havent really work on it. Thats one of the fallacies of the world.

If on the other hand, your question is more of a "should I have gone through with it?", the answer, if you cant see yourself satisfied having had sex with her, regardless of how imperfect it was, then its better not never having done it.

Although I fail to see still why has sex been so pedestalised to the ridiculous point where its basically a olympic sport. You just HAVE to be the best at it to be good at it?

I cant answer the poll since Ima virgin and there are no questions for them past the 1st one.

10 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

It isnt clear what your exact question is but I think I can guess a few possibilities.

If you're question is if anyone has gone through a similar situation, the answer is: Plenty; not everyone gets to live the fairytale version of first time sex being with another inexperienced partner but someone turning out fantastic. Its more likely that 2 virgins have a disastrous first time than one partner whos a virgin and one that isnt. Although a partner who has had sex before isnt magically a sex guru if they havent really work on it. Thats one of the fallacies of the world.

If on the other hand, your question is more of a "should I have gone through with it?", the answer, if you cant see yourself satisfied having had sex with her, regardless of how imperfect it was, then its better not never having done it.

Although I fail to see still why has sex been so pedestalised to the point where its basically a olympic sport. You just HAVE to be the best at it to be good at it?

I'm more along the lines of your first 'question'.

@will123

The problem with the poll is that you need an option in each of the questions from 2 - 5 "I am a virgin" as otherwise those that answer that they are a virgin to question can not answer 2 - 5.

Same with question 5, it needs an option for those who said that the person they had sex with for the first time was also a virgin.

Unfortunately even where a question doesn't apply, a box needs to be ticked.

J. van Deijck

1. Are you a virgin? No.

2. If no, was the person you lost your virginity to: Male.

3. Was your partner older or younger than you? I said yes because he is two months younger than me :P we both were born in the same year, though.

4. Was your partner a virgin? No, he wasn't. 

5. If no, in the previous question, did this intimidate you into thinking the other person knew more about sex than yourself? No, I didn't care about it and still is don't. I don't even think it matters since we both can live without sex and now there's only us both in our little world. The past is the past.

1. Are you a virgin? Yes.

2. If no, was the person you lost your virginity to: N/A.

3. Was your partner older or younger than you? N/A.

4. Was your partner a virgin? N/A. 

5. If no, in the previous question, did this intimidate you into thinking the other person knew more about sex than yourself? N/A.

Couldn't vote as there's no option for virgins in question 2 - 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of male, virgin

Thanks to those of you that have responded. It looks like my fear of having sex because I was a male virgin isn't that widespread.

Well, I'm a male virgin. I can't answer on the poll because, well, I'm a virgin and can't submit my answers.

My virginity is because I'm ace, and partially because of that, yes it would be super disastrous. It'll be disastrous because of my lack of experience and because, well, even if I was experienced, I just don't wanna do it. I don't think it's gendered related, but rather just whether or not you want it enough to "get good" at it. I don't want it, so therefore, I'm not good at it.

I tried out sex, partly out of curiosity, more so due to peer pressure, I had sex with two different partners, both female, both older than myself, one by a few months, the other by four years, my experience was awful, I hated every second of it, and it did only last seconds too, I only had sex a matter of maybe five times in total, I don't regret trying, it just proved to me that it is a truly awful experience, I was 19 at the time, I've never tried again since, never will again either

1 hour ago, oldgeeza said:

I tried out sex, partly out of curiosity, more so due to peer pressure, I had sex with two different partners, both female, both older than myself, one by a few months, the other by four years, my experience was awful, I hated every second of it, and it did only last seconds too, I only had sex a matter of maybe five times in total, I don't regret trying, it just proved to me that it is a truly awful experience, I was 19 at the time, I've never tried again since, never will again either

That's what I dreaded too! It wouldn't have mattered if I had been with my friend Suzanne or the local TV weather girl, it would've turned out badly. Why put yourself in a possibly humiliating experience?

• 1 month later...

I have had penetration and some thrusting but it felt hollow and could never finish, I've only had four partners all female.

Sex when you’re inexperienced isn’t bad, just awkward. Some people find the awkwardness sweet. Others are comforted by lack of experience. Some still want an expert. It’s relative to the individual. Obviously, if you don’t want sex, don’t have it.

Virginity is a stupid, archaic concept. I’ve never had steak but there’s no word to mean I’m a person who has never had steak, nor is there a stigma surrounding how much or how little steak I’ve eaten. Sex is so personal and natural. Nobody should think twice about a 50 year old virgin or a 20 year old who’s had lots of sex. If they’re adults having safe consensual sex or not having sex at all, it concerns absolutely no one else. Nobody’s business. No shame. Sex isn’t as monumental as it’s made out to be. It’s an activity, not a lifestyle. *cough* /end rant 

I’m not male so I didn’t answer the poll. However, while we were both “virgins” when we got together, my partner had more experience. This made me feel slightly more at ease - neither of us knew what we were doing but I felt like I could rely on him to have a better idea of what to do. Like with any virgin, it’s just figuring out via practice. I’m not asexual though. I thought I was, hence why I was nearly 24 before I’d ever had sex. It had never interested me nor did the opportunity present itself. And that’s perfectly fine.

• 10 months later...

@will123

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived