What would you like done with your body after you die?

m4rble

RealisticOptimist

Organ doner for sure, but id like to dedicate my entire body for science. If they won't take it then i guess I'd like to be taken to the north pole and buried in snow so that my body never decays and archaeologists can find it in the future

On 19/01/2018 at 11:30 PM, RealisticOptimist said:

I'd like to be taken to the north pole and buried in snow so that my body never decays and archaeologists can find it in the future

Contradiction: Archaeologist implies long time in the future. Snow in the North pole implies in the next 20 years or so, when there will be no snow/ice in the North pole in summer. I'd say a bog, but I guess we'll burn all the peat once the coal is gone. "It's kind of scary when you think the whole thing through"

As someone who has known a lung transplant recipient, I'd be honored to be harvested as much as possible, but then I'd want to be cremated. Not sure about my ashes.

SorryNotSorry

Why would I care? I'd be dead, for chrissake!

If you really, really want to do somebody some dirt, mix their ashes into some porcelain that's used to make a toilet. Then people can literally piss and shit on them.

2 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Why would I care? I'd be dead, for chrissake!

If you really, really want to do somebody some dirt, mix their ashes into some porcelain that's used to make a toilet. Then people can literally piss and shit on them.

Others are talking about donating their bodies so someone else could live, and you're talking about doing someone some dirt.  Wow.  

Since I'm an organ donor, I'd like people to take what they can from my body first of all. After that, I much rather be buried in a pine box and have my body go back to the Earth and feed the trees and other plant life. I feel like since the Earth has provided so much for me, it would be the least I could do to give back.

Calligraphette_Coe

Dig a hole, strike a match, preserve it in extremes of physical space, what is  it compared with being alive beyond that in someone's memory?

On 1/25/2018 at 6:41 PM, kei_ said:

It’s a bit of a long shot, but a deep space burial would be amazing.

I would rather experience deep space when I am alive to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to be buried. I would want to be buried so that I could become a part of the Earth and so that any loved ones I have or might have would be able to visit my grave and converse with my spirit. As odd as it sounds, I believe that the physical body dies, but the spirit can somehow live on. I feel that my spirit would only be able to live on if my remains existed and became a part of the Earth. Another thing I can say is that I would like either to be buried in a bed of flowers or underneath a tree (preferably a cherry blossom tree or something else).

confused lil bee

I'm already registered as an organ donor so hopefully my corpse can be of use to someone who needs it... the rest? I really like the idea of  alkaline hydrolysis/water cremation because ti's pretty eco friendly and also I just don't like the idea of rotting in the ground naturally (probably an irrational fear of being a zombie? who can say). Then my neutralised corpse juices can fertilise a plant or something that'd be pretty neat

Trust someone in our overdeveloped society to take something as simple as growing a tree on some ashes into a product. Complete with greenwash stylisation. Just dig a small hole, fill with ashes*, put soil back on top, add an apple pip (or whatever you want).

*personally, I'd much rather not be cremated, because that's done with fossil fuel

Purple Wanderer

Harvest me for organs then catapult the remains into the Sea

• 2 weeks later...
WobblyWallaby

I'm not getting embalmed and burial is not only expensive but it's a waste of resources. If I could I would rather use alkaline hydrolysis on my body than cremation. Of course, this is after I donate my organs.

Sweet Potato

"When their ringing your curtain down

demand to be buried like Eva Peron"

and now I have that song, nope, the whole show in my head.... grumble grumble

but seriously, organ donor then I dont care what happens with the rest, burial or cremation, super deluxe or cheap like borscht.

Cameo Capri

Was never able to figure out why so many people like cremation. No funds, maybe? I would like as little manipulation as possible----no medical students poking and cutting, no putting stuff into my body or taking stuff out (spleens, etc.), no turning me into ash substance or any substance for that matter. Just leave me alone and bury quickly. Quickly. If they like me they will come see me in the hospital before I'm dead, so services would not really be necessary. Green maybe? I will have to research green.

Get whatever organs work, give them to people, burn the rest, use ashes as fertiliser or dump it into the sea.

@Cameo Capri, cremation is a lot cheaper than burial, as there's only a finite amount of sanctified ground for use as graveyards

I would like to have my body buried in woods or something, to have my body to be part of other life from. Like bury my body and then plant a tree, so the tree can feeds itself of my body.

ozzythefabulous

Organs donated and then a green burial somewhere like a forest so my body can help new things grow

On 09/03/2018 at 11:09 PM, Skycaptain said:

@Cameo Capri, cremation is a lot cheaper than burial, as there's only a finite amount of sanctified ground for use as graveyards

Yes, but cremation needlessly uses up fuel. In an ideal world I would be buried in my back garden. Plant a food tree on top, by the time the tree comes to the end of its life, there will only be some bones left. I regularly find bones in my vegetable garden, nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, Kisa the Kit Kat said:

donate my organs and use my body to plant a tree.

Are you Reform, Kisa?  I am and plan to donate organs.  I wonder if all Orthodox still have to go into the earth the way they came into life.  

7 minutes ago, Sally said:

Are you Reform, Kisa?  I am and plan to donate organs.  I wonder if all Orthodox still have to go into the earth the way they came into life.  

I am.  I know my family would be sad to hear that I don't want to go into a cemetery but I can make an argument that the whole reason we have the rituals we have for death is because it's good for the earth.  I don't know about how Orthodox Jews see it though (but they wouldn't take me because I got my ears pierced once and I have a birth control implant...they may not like those things >_>).

I know Muslims have the coffin for show and then the body goes in the ground without the coffin (source: dad worked at a cemetery for a while, he saw MANY types of funerals).  I always thought that was kinda cool.  There are more details but they're hazy and I'm not Muslim so I'd rather wait for an actual Muslim before saying something wrong.

1 hour ago, Kisa the Kit Kat said:

I know Muslims have the coffin for show and then the body goes in the ground without the coffin

That's very cool. 

My synagogue does memorial services, burials, and then unveilings a year later, but we don't get upset if someone gets cremated.  In fact, we don't get upset about much of anything.   Many of our mixed families have Hanukkah and Christmas, which I don't understand, but anything's OK.

Archived