39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Pantomimes

• Oh yes I do!
    • Oh no I don't!

This poll is closed to new votes

It's that time of the year again!

Elftober Country

No, nope, never!

I've never seen one (I'm not British) but the entire idea is just... what???????? it's one of those things that I don't think anyone that didn't grow up with that in their culture would ever understand.

1 hour ago, yonah said:

What is a pantomime? A small skit?

A horror show for children, it seems

5 hours ago, Graceful said:

A horror show for children, it seems

Untrue! 

Pantomimes are great fun

Just to clear things up for non British people. Pantomimes are very silly plays. The story that is show is generally a fairy tale. They are shown around Christmas.

The lead male part is played by a woman, the ugly sisters are always men in drag, double entendres are rife,  audience participation part of the 'script'

'Oh yes I am, Villain

'Oh no you're not' audience

It's BEHIND you!'   audience 

As the children in the audience jump up and down in fits of giggles

Everything is OTT, and 'political correctness' left at the stage door. A completely illogical, loopy example of what it is to be British :D

SamwiseLovesLife
14 hours ago, Graceful said:

I've never seen one (I'm not British) but the entire idea is just... what???????? it's one of those things that I don't think anyone that didn't grow up with that in their culture would ever understand.

I'm British and I don't understand either :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Tintinfan said:

Untrue! 

Pantomimes are great fun

They look horrifying. If I were a child, I would cry. And I have never liked anything that asks the audience to participate - pet peeve of mine. It’s like one of those weird children shows that all of the adults hate because the characters look like clowns and act like aliens pretending to be human... (think: LazyTown) except all of the cast and rest of the audience appears to have taken LSD.

flagsforhippos

I would have enjoyed going to the panto a lot more if it weren't for my sensory issues.

Autism-friendly pantos are few and far between :c

good fun on the tele though.

Haven't been to a panto in years. Think they can be a laugh with the right frame of mind. Would love to see something like Die Hard as a Panto though :lol:

flagsforhippos
1 hour ago, Scott1989 said:

Would love to see something like Die Hard as a Panto

Yippee-ki-yay mother...goose?

SamwiseLovesLife
On 15/12/2017 at 12:09 PM, Tja said:

Going to see my first panto, of Cinderella, when I visit @Mizzletoe, on the 28th December! :D

Be prepared to both be amused and horrifyed :D

They've never been my cup of tea, mind I didn't like fairy tales as a kid anyway, as they didn't have four wheels and an engine 

I've never really been one for them, and I didn't go to them as a child either. Having said that, having just finished a pantomime styled Christmas show, I do have a lot of respect for the work which goes into them, even if I don't like them as such.

Island-Of-Dogs

I saw one last Christmas while visiting family in the UK, I had a great time! The show was a bit noisy for my tastes, but my family took care to buy seats a fair distance away from the stage, so I was never seriously over-whelmed sensory wise. The humor was a bit... different than what I was used to. But the audiences laughter was contagious and I sorely needed some in my life at that point, as I had spent most of the trip up to that point huddled up by the fireplace- sick with the flu!

An interactive stage show that is often laced with innuendo. Never been my thing but people seem to like them.

• 11 months later...

@Tintinfan

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived