NYC will include asexuality in anti-discrimination law

causidicus

On December 11, the New York City Council passed the following item:

Intro. 1186-A, which amends the definitions of sexual orientation and gender in the NYC Human Rights Law.  Sexual orientation will no longer be defined as "heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality."  The new definition is: "an individual’s actual or perceived romantic, physical or sexual attraction to other persons, or lack thereof, on the basis of gender. A continuum of sexual orientation exists and includes, but is not limited to, heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, asexuality, and pansexuality."

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2735474&GUID=F5F8B329-F2BD-4162-AFA3-D0BF96F6E30F&Options=ID|Text|&Search=1186

It is anticipated that this will be enacted within the next month.

so does that mean we get tax breaks for being an unmarried ace in NY?

Also, can someone explain to me exactly why pansexuality is there? I've always thought of it like a sexual trait rather than a sexuality like being demi. I thought being pan makes you have no regard for gender or perceived gender, and it has nothing to do with actual genitals, but is usually paired with bisexuality for obvious reasons. I would think that a straight man who was attracted to a woman, who identified as a man, would make him pan-hetero.

5 minutes ago, Kazka said:

so does that mean we get tax breaks for being an unmarried ace in NY?

Also, can someone explain to me exactly why pansexuality is there? I've always thought of it like a sexual trait rather than a sexuality like being demi. I thought being pan makes you have no regard for gender or perceived gender, and it has nothing to do with actual genitals, but is usually paired with bisexuality for obvious reasons. I would think that a straight man who was attracted to a woman, who identified as a man, would make him pan-hetero.

The law will prohibit discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodation, and does not speak to tax breaks and marriage.

Some basics about pansexuality and how it is related to, and distinct from, bisexuality can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

The most important thing is how individuals define themselves and, for purposes of this law, how they are perceived.  If someone is pansexual or perceived as such, they will be covered by this law.

2 minutes ago, causidicus said:

The law will prohibit discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodation, and does not speak to tax breaks and marriage.

Some basics about pansexuality and how it is related to, and distinct from, bisexuality can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

The most important thing is how individuals define themselves and, for purposes of this law, how they are perceived.  If someone is pansexual or perceived as such, they will be covered by this law.

The first part was just a joke! And, oh, I guess I understand now. Interesting. But tbh, I like my version more, makes more sense as it can be applied across a more broad spectrum, and also covers what I don't believe to be named.

Huzzah! *Pops cork off of imaginary champagne*

1 hour ago, Kazka said:

The first part was just a joke!...

:) Hello. Just to let you know, since you're somewhat new, this is the reason why emojis like :P:lol:;):Dor  :twisted: are used when others make jokes on the forum: it helps reduce confusion because without them, they can be misinterpreted with making a serious statement or asking a question because those generally don't use emojis at all. I hope that helps.

I'm really not that surprised to hear that NYC included protections for asexual people into their laws, as historically, they usually have always been one of the leading, progressive states who enacts new laws or protections, first, compared to other parts of the country. It's one of the reasons why I dreamed of moving there.

That's good for them, of course, but those of us in other parts of the country who aren't fortunate enough to be able to move to states with better LGBT+ protections, usually only receive protection if it's mandated by law through the entire country, by the Supreme Court, (because local, state politicians aren't interested in helping or protecting LGBT+ peoples' rights which <_<.)

Cat-a-tat-tat

It's a step towards a better tomorrow! I can't wait until my state wises up and adapts to the times :D 

Yooooooo! That's not bad! 

We're becoming less invisible!

Archived