51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite type of football

• American football
    • Association football (soccer)
    • Aussie rules football
    • Canadian football
    • Gaelic football

This poll is closed to new votes

Soccer. American. Seattle Sounders. USNTs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19 December 2017 at 10:53 AM, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

As far as I understood it, Association and Rugby were pretty much the same thing until a very early version of the Football Association decided to outlaw "hacking" (kicking an opponent's shins), at which point the sport split into Association Football (overseen by the Football Association) and Rugby (so-called IIRC because Rugby FC were the main agitators for the retention of "hacking") which then split again into league and union - ironically neither of which now allow "hacking," as far as I know. I stand to be corrected but I did get that story of the split between soccer and rugby from a sports history book so I figured it was legit.

huh, I always wondered what the difference between american football and rugby was, and if that's the case I wonder why it isn't called american rugby

Diamond Ace of Hearts
2 hours ago, dragon_nerd said:

huh, I always wondered what the difference between american football and rugby was, and if that's the case I wonder why it isn't called american rugby

I guess it depends when American football came about and how. Simply "American Rugby" would seem to make more sense today and if American football didn't already exist and someone invented it now they would maybe call it American Rugby instead. Back when American football actually started to develop though, it's likely that more people still thought of soccer and Rugby as just different codes of football than is the case now. Rugby is/was officially known as "Rugby football" so maybe American football can be thought of as being called "American Rugby football" where the Rugby is dropped for convenience in a similar way that barely anyone says Rugby football league or Rugby football union.

Quintus Crinis

what about rugby football (mainly union)?

It would be a dead tie between association and american football, if it weren't for the fact that I grew up playing association football... that one wins out by a hair. :lol: My team is London-based, though (go Gunners ❤).

And, once again, I'm surprised that soccer/association football has such a big lead in the poll given how many people here come from countries where it's not traditionally thought of as "football no.1".

Also, a question to US-based participants: how popular is soccer is US really? I hear conflicting versions. Is it a regional thing? Big cities vs the rest of country? Generational?

• 1 month later...

Soccer. Big Liverpool fan,but they lost to Man U yesterday and I'm still upset.

awkward_one34

Gaelic football is obviously the best. Dribbling. Kicking. Throwing. Interceptions. Tackling. 2 different ways to score- American football goal or normal people football goal. It's just a great sport. 

Grumpy Alien

This is how I see all football

WinterWanderer

It's weird to compare American football to the other footballs, because besides having the same name, it's completely different. 

Idon't really like any type of football in general, but I answered association football because if it happens to be on TV, I'll watch it. I'm not really a fan of American football, even though I live in the southern US, and growing up, I went to high school football games nearly every weekend. It looks ridiculous to me.

Football/soccer, srsly why can't they just have the same names? Although I prefer playing as opposed to watching it on the tv

Knight of Cydonia
On 3/14/2018 at 6:57 AM, Mae__ said:

Football/soccer, srsly why can't they just have the same names? Although I prefer playing as opposed to watching it on the tv

Because depending on where you are in the world they could mean totally different sports.

You've missed Rugby League :P

• 9 months later...

@festiff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived