51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite type of football

• American football
    • Association football (soccer)
    • Aussie rules football
    • Canadian football
    • Gaelic football

This poll is closed to new votes

So we have many that like football here, but we do not all like the same football.

Let me make the case for Gaelic football, as no one else will.

Actually the best argument for it is from a Dutch observer's view (who saw it on a ferry, when heading over to play a gig in Dublin)

"It is like some harry potter type of sport"

Doesn't that sound awesome? 

So vote Gaelic football.

I've not heard of Gaelic football. I will check it out, online.

I love Aussie rules. They don't show it here, in America, as they used to.

I've never watched Australian or Canadian football before so I'll put off casting my vote for the time being.

Being from continental Europe I'm obviously most familiar with "association football". (How widely used and understood is this name, anyway? Maybe it would be safer to add "soccer" in parenthesis?).

What is Canadian football? 

I'll assume we're treating rugby football, both league and union as not football 

In which case association football and Australian rules are the best for viewing live, closely followed by Gaelic. American football is best viewed as a highlights package. 

48 minutes ago, Sleighcaptain said:

What is Canadian football? 

I'll assume we're treating rugby football, both league and union as not football 

In which case association football and Australian rules are the best for viewing live, closely followed by Gaelic. American football is best viewed as a highlights package. 

Canadian Football is similar to American football with some differences (3 attempts to gain 10 yards instead of 4, goal posts in front of the endzone instead of behind and other differnces).

Also agree Rugby should of been an option since a)It predates American, Assosiation and Canadian footballs (not sure about Aussie Rules or Gaelic) and b) Teams are normally RFCs (Rugby Football Clubs).

Regardless of the above, suprisingly based on where I am, American Football is my favourite. Association football ends up far too poltical for my liking and never understood the rest (bar Canadian which is just not available at a decent time here).

How about no

2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I've never watched Australian or Canadian football before so I'll put off casting my vote for the time being.

Being from continental Europe I'm obviously most familiar with "association football". (How widely used and understood is this name, anyway? Maybe it would be safer to add "soccer" in parenthesis?).

Noted and i've adjusted the poll.

2 hours ago, Tja said:

I've not heard of Gaelic football. I will check it out, online.

I love Aussie rules. They don't show it here, in America, as they used to.

Gaelic football is kind of similar to Aussie rules football. Some Gaelic footballers will go to play aussie rules professionally. There is also a mixed match of the two codes between ireland and Australia called international rules.

I looked up Gaelic football. Cool!

I still like Aussie rules. Tighter uniforms. ;)

The one and only: Football. Where you actually use your foot to hit the ball. 

everywhere and nowhere

None. I prefer individual sports. Also for practicing them myself: cross-country skiing is great, I can keep my own, majestic tempo ;), but if I tried to play soccer, I'd spit my lungs out after two minutes...

My teenage life was dedicated to FCB, UCL, WC and EPL the rest of footballs can gtfo.

flagsforhippos

Sorry iff, I've voted for association football. Had my family come from a county with a better sporting pedigree I might have grown up with more of an interest in Irish sport but we're from Cavan and we're crap.

I've just watched 2 short videos highlighting gaelic football. Looks like there's something for everyone there: you score with your legs, but can also carry the ball and catch it, like in basketball. There's some roughness too, but not as much as I expected (I thought it would be more like American Football). They even have goals!

That's one of the videos I watched:

Spoiler

My favourite kind of football is football. Doesn't even need to be specified because everyone knows which one it is :D

@festiff

Btw. it looks like it really hard to be a defender in gaelic football. You're prepared to block their foot pass, but then they take the ball in their hands and go past you with ball in their hands. You want to block them basketball-style, but then they drop the ball and do a long-range pass. Looks like you cannot win :D

Knight of Cydonia

Oh wow, Canadian football is a poll option! Thank you! Huge fan here. My family's had season tickets since day 1 for our home team (going back generations) and I fully intend on keeping up the tradition. Without a doubt, it's by far my favourite sport to watch. 

Few fun facts: Canadian football is older than American football. Not only was it Canadians that introduced Americans to their variation of rugby that would eventually become "American football", but the Grey Cup has been held over for twice as many years as the Superbowl (105 vs. 51), and the Toronto Argonauts are the oldest pro football team in North America/oldest pro sports team in North America overall to still have its original name.

3 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

Few fun facts: Canadian football is older than American football. Not only was it Canadians that introduced Americans to their variation of rugby that would eventually become "American football", but the Grey Cup has been held over for twice as many years as the Superbowl (105 vs. 51), and the Toronto Argonauts are the oldest pro football team in North America/oldest pro sports team in North America overall to still have its original name.

Wow, did not know that. Was in Toronto recently but was there during the last Gret Cup so couldn't attend any CFL games :(

swirl_of_blue

I play American football, so I couldn't really answer anything else. I have never had any interest in soccer, and have seen some rugby on the TV and it looked too chaotic to me. I would probably like Canadian football because of its similarity to the American kind, and of Aussie or Gaelic football I know absolutely nothing about. The thing that I like the most about American football is how short the plays actually are and how often the clock stops, giving me more time to think about and analyze the situation (and also catch my breath...)

Knight of Cydonia
8 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

Wow, did not know that. Was in Toronto recently but was there during the last Gret Cup so couldn't attend any CFL games :(

Were you able to watch it in Toronto? It was incredible! Toronto were the heavy underdogs, came from behind late in the game thanks to a 109-yd fumble return for a touchdown (a Grey Cup record), and ending up winning in the last minute of the game: Calgary could have easily tied the game with a field goal to send the game into overtime, but instead went for a touchdown and threw an interception. 

45 minutes ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

Were you able to watch it in Toronto? It was incredible! Toronto were the heavy underdogs, came from behind late in the game thanks to a 109-yd fumble return for a touchdown (a Grey Cup record), and ending up winning in the last minute of the game: Calgary could have easily tied the game with a field goal to send the game into overtime, but instead went for a touchdown and threw an interception. 

Was hoping I could but unfortunatly no. Was somewhere for dinner and the venue didn't have cable :( Heard it was a great match in the snow as well :( I did get an Argonauts top though (no number or name).

American football!! I've been an NFL fan since I was 6 years old; it's a pretty big part of my life :) 

Hermit Advocate

I watch football/soccer. But both American football and football/soccer pale in comparison to the brilliance that is rugby. 

Diamond Ace of Hearts
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Scottmas1989 said:

Also agree Rugby should of been an option since a)It predates Association football.

Source?

As far as I understood it, Association and Rugby were pretty much the same thing until a very early version of the Football Association decided to outlaw "hacking" (kicking an opponent's shins), at which point the sport split into Association Football (overseen by the Football Association) and Rugby (so-called IIRC because Rugby FC were the main agitators for the retention of "hacking") which then split again into league and union - ironically neither of which now allow "hacking," as far as I know. I stand to be corrected but I did get that story of the split between soccer and rugby from a sports history book so I figured it was legit.

Real football, where the foot is used to kick a ball. American football is good too though.

(GO HOKIES!)

Diamond Ace of Hearts

The correct hierarchy is:

1) Soccer

2) Gaelic

3) Soccer again

4) <[Blank]>

878916373273825) All them other ones

Archived