I want this to work.

Boobean

Hi everyone, I've refrained from posting on here although the posts on this site have been helpful for me and my partner, who recently came out as asexual. We've been together for almost a year and a half now and we rarely had sex prior to him leaving his parents' house (we're in our twenties, for context). He has had a hard year and we're both battling a lot separately. With his being asexual I feel that we'll never be completely happy because I'm very sexual. We're planning on trying an open relationship where I'm free to do whomever I please with his blessing and I'll keep emotional intimacy reserved for him. Has this worked for anyone? Does anyone have advice for a sexual partner dealing with this? Is there hope for us?

Hi Boobean,

@Treesarepretty is correct:  I’ve opened my relationship successfully for the past 9 or so months.  I saw your post, but refrained from adding a response earlier as I come from two distinctly different angles than how you described your vision.  I neither wanted to “do whomever I please” (denotes multiple, random partners, but I may have misinterpreted the description) nor kept my emotions separated from my sexual partner.  That’s incredibly hard to do if you plan to take an ongoing lover.  It may work if you keep the liaisons random and short however.

Anyhow, I’m not well versed in the way it appears you hope to open your relationship, but I’m certain there are folks on here that must be.  Keep asking around!  You’ll find answers you seek if you keep asking the questions you have. All the best!

Archived